New iPods not available with educational discounts | iLounge News

New iPods not available with educational discounts

With yesterday’s introduction of new iPods models, it appears that Apple has halted iPod educational discounts on its online store (and presumably at its retail locations). Several iLoungers note that the online Apple Store for universities and schools, which previously offered discounts of approximately 10% on iPods, now lists the new fifth-generation iPod, second-generation iPod nano and second-generation iPod shuffle at full retail prices. In addition, the new iPod models do not qualify for Apple’s Back To School promotion, which allows educational customers to buy a Mac and an iPod and get up to $179 back via mail-in rebate. The promo ends on September 16, 2006.

« Mophie unveils case for 2G nano, opens up development

iPod-enabled tailored suit announced »

Comments

No official comfirmation on this yet? I hope it’s just a temporary oversight, but that’s looking less likely.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on September 13, 2006 at 1:56 PM (CDT)

Hmm. It seems that it still applies for the iPod Shuffle. It’s £55 without discount and £50.53 with the educational discount…

Posted by David Appleyard on September 13, 2006 at 2:01 PM (CDT)

The computer store down @ my Univ. here lists 5Gen prices that are quite a bit more than the prices announced yesterday…...(ex. a current 60gig goes for $399 retail, but $369 @ the computer store)

Cutting the prices as they have done , then subsuquently getting rid of the discount makes sense IMO

Posted by Huskerz85 on September 13, 2006 at 2:31 PM (CDT)

$250 for the 30 Gig is less then I paid, even with my discount, which brought it down to $271.  I don’t mind much, but it’s not like I’m gonna be buying a new one now anyway, since I just got my second in march :p

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 13, 2006 at 2:36 PM (CDT)

Not in the US, though.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on September 13, 2006 at 2:37 PM (CDT)

Educational discounts don’t seem to be available, but government employees still are eligible - $328 for an 80GB.

Posted by jess on September 13, 2006 at 3:19 PM (CDT)

The discount was not available to me through my employer or school (both universities), but I picked one up anyway.

Posted by Andre on September 13, 2006 at 3:22 PM (CDT)

This was disappointing and cost Apple an impulse buy on a new 8GB nano. I couldn’t see why I’d buy direct if I can pick it up anywhere in a week or two for exactly the same cost, and by then, I’ll probably have got myself under control and just stick with my 60GB 5G.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 13, 2006 at 4:37 PM (CDT)

I am not guaranteeing anything, but this same thing happened when the wireless Mighty Mouse came out.  The online Apple store did not have the educational discount, but when I went to the store they gave me the student discount.  I am going later today to pick up a new 4gb nano and I will report back.

Posted by seth on September 13, 2006 at 5:05 PM (CDT)

Answering my previous post, I was wrong, there are no discounts at this time on the new nani (nano + mini-haha).  There was no student discount or even military discount.  This was at the Salt Lake City Apple store, and the manager seemed pretty spacy, for what it was worth.

Posted by seth on September 13, 2006 at 10:53 PM (CDT)

Also just verified that if you are active duty/reserve in the military, the discount is still in effect for the new ipods.  $328 for the 80g and $234 for the 30g

Posted by Jason on September 14, 2006 at 12:27 AM (CDT)

Corporate and government discounts are still intact—6%, just used it last nite for my new 8GB nano.

Posted by Tony C on September 14, 2006 at 11:58 AM (CDT)

Could it be that they’ll put the discount in a few weeks after the intro?

I was thinking of getting my wife one of the new Nanos, but saw that the educational discount online wasn’t available. The university computer store didn’t know when they’d get them, so it will be interesting to see if they’ll be discounted when they arrive.

Does anyone recall when the new iPods came out last year if the educational discount was in effect right away?

Posted by cxc273 on September 14, 2006 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

cxc273,

Yes the educational discount was available the day the 5th Gen. was announced.  I bought mine as soon as the apple store came back online and got the discount.

Posted by SkierRob on September 15, 2006 at 7:35 PM (CDT)