New iPods with Docking Stations Coming Soon | iLounge News

New iPods with Docking Stations Coming Soon

Think Secret is reporting that Apple will introduce two new iPod models by end of April, along with Apple’s new music service.

“A re-designed Apple iPod in two new hard drive sizes with control buttons and a docking/charging station will be announced toward the end of April, sources have confirmed to Think Secret. The new models will be available in 15GB and 30GB sizes, as the 5GB and 20GB models will be discontinued.”

Also, noted in the report, new PC models will feature USB 2.0. According to an artist rendering the control buttons (play, pause, rewind, fast forward) have been moved from around the touch wheel to below the LCD display on all new models. The pricing for each new model; 10GB $299, 15GB $399 and 30GB $499.

« Mac: iCommune 2.01a Released

Target and Dell Stop Selling iPods »

Comments

I bought my iPod in January, that $100 price drop and new features is just going to bug me a bit, but at the same time I am glad I didn’t wait for the iPod. I’d rather have three months with it, than three months waiting for it.

Posted by riffola on April 10, 2003 at 11:25 AM (CDT)

I’m getting mine tomorrow as a birthday gift.  I dont really care that much though.  I will have one of the last 20gb iPods.  The new features are really just design changes.  And the docking station really doesnt matter that much.  I’m a little peeved, but i will be competely happy with what i get.

Posted by kaptnkrunch in Boone, NC on April 10, 2003 at 7:23 PM (CDT)

This rumor is probably not trye (like every one of those rumors from those sites are) but if it is true, I just hope Apple keeps Firewire support for Windows. I will freak if they don’t! Most of us PC users don’t have USB 2.

Posted by mongoos150 in Tucson, AZ on April 10, 2003 at 10:02 PM (CDT)

Actually, it probably is true. Think Secret is usually pretty reliable. That 30GB sure is tempting…it’s time to upgrade my orginal 10GB.

The site says that USB 2.0 support has been added (not replacing firewire). What PC doesn’t have USB 2.0 these days? It’s macs that don’t have USB 2.0 support. PC’s are the reason is it being added.

Posted by square in York, PA on April 11, 2003 at 4:24 AM (CDT)

I like the dock, but I think the reposition of the buttons is horrible.  I might just look for a discounted 20gig and call it good.  I think the current style is perfect and doesn’t need changing beyond adding a larger hard drive or added software functionality like dynamic playlists and full parametric EQ.

Posted by Xenious on April 11, 2003 at 9:52 AM (CDT)

if there is a new ipod there better be alot of new things to it cuz i dont realy feel like spending another 500 bucks just for a new dock. Color screen wud kick, so wud a larger battery

Posted by Nate4 on April 11, 2003 at 10:24 AM (CDT)

just waiting for the new models my 5 gig windows died after 3 months, luckey i had the xtra warranty from compusa and just have to wait for stockand hope the 10 gig drops price and stays the same without the new buttons. Dont need no stinking new buttons

Posted by justaguy in new orleans on April 11, 2003 at 5:36 PM (CDT)

i am agreeing with the first comment. i got mine the last week of december 2002, and yea the fact that they dropping prices and adding new stuff to what i thought was the best ipod (i got the 20 gig) gets me a lil mad, but having it for these three months sure has been the best! but thats technology always updated…and besides, “I’d rather have three motnhs with it, than three months waiting for it.” - riffola

Posted by SkuzE in New York City on April 11, 2003 at 6:30 PM (CDT)

the interface ‘improvements’ and the hard disk sizes don’t make sense in terms of reality ... apple is known for their interface design, so the new concept doesn’t fit with their style.

also, from what I’ve heard, samsung doesn’t actually make a 15 or 30 gig mini-hard drive like the 5/10/20 that the ipod uses.

Posted by ericg in seattle on April 13, 2003 at 1:53 AM (CDT)

IMHO the iPod is simply plagued by its inherent good looks being prone to scratches which simply break my heart. The docking station would call for a “naked” pod to be docked and simply wont do as an everyday affair. Apple should take a cue from the Ipaq for a dock which might require a major design revamp again leading to more issues. I think the current design is superb, but im not too choosy.

Posted by Strykar in India on April 14, 2003 at 12:55 PM (CDT)

- Some kind of docking is good. Currently only upside down is possible, and that is pretty weird. For this feature alone I would upgrade. Think about the possiblities in the car, at the home theather, nex to PC. Of course docking should be for Audio + Charge + FireWire.

- No need for buttons, Wheel + click is enough. More buttons, the uglier.

- No color screen, pleez! It is a battery hog, and ipod is for music not for pretty pictures.

- Bigger battery would be nice but 10+ hrs is more than acceptable.

- Limited FireWire host capability for CompactFlash picture downloading. This would be wonderful.

- 30+GB sizes. (dreaming)

Posted by pbox on April 14, 2003 at 3:10 PM (CDT)

I agree, as the new buttons are disturbing and screw with the aesthitics. Also agree why have color for device when was only only designed for playing music/storage, you want color go buy crayons, drains way to much on batteries, just take look at orignal gameboy, simplicity was its key to fortune, anyone remember Sega Gamegear, Atari Lynx or NECs handheld?

Posted by AcidSquid on April 14, 2003 at 10:37 PM (CDT)

I agree that the new dock will be a problem

Posted by wrightstuff in San Francisco on April 20, 2003 at 3:26 PM (CDT)