New iRip CD-to-iPod ripping service launched | iLounge News

New iRip CD-to-iPod ripping service launched

“iRip debuted today as the least expensive CD-to-iPod transferring (ripping) service to date. The service assists current and prospective iPod owners by taking their CDs and “ripping” them to their iPod, often saving the iPod owner hours. All Orders are tracked via iRip’s unique Client Order Management web application, letting the customer know their order’s exact status.

iRip service costs only $1 per CD for standard service, more than 30% off the price of our nearest competitor. Standard service includes three-way UPS Ground shipping and expedited service includes three-way UPS Overnight shipping. There is a 30 CD minimum and service is offered for the Apple iPod, the Apple iPod mini and the Apple iPod by HP.”

« Pyrim Technologies releases Rock Docks

MP3 losing to AAC and WMA »

Comments

Anyone else not trust a company with no contact info on the site, except a form email? No address, no phone number, no support email? Plus, not a TLD like .com or .net?

Not to mention the design ripped from the apple site itself.

I’d hold off sending them my iPod and CDs.

Posted by BorderPatrol on October 18, 2004 at 10:26 AM (CDT)

yeah, seems a bit on the shady side to me, and really dumb as well. “often saving the iPod owner hours” -without their iPod!  if you have time to mail it in and pay someone to do it for you, just sit at home a couple hours and do it. sheesh…

Posted by bhoward43 on October 18, 2004 at 10:40 AM (CDT)

That is da saddest thin i HAVE ever seen. i mean WTF ppl??? a service to rip ur CDS!!!! Cmon y not then a service to charge ur ipod!! that takes jus as long!! AND send ur ipod + Cds to anonymous ppl(as proposed by Borderpatrol) which takes at least 24 Hours…;hmmmm let me think…..i can do it myself in about 2….i don think its that difficult…lets c the manual…install iTunes and connect ipod, then place Cd in drive, click rip and done…hmmmm..difficult. On the other hand…i can send it to these ppl for 30€ only…and thell do it for me in only 24 hours…yayayayay

What genious!!!

Posted by ShASH(Frm belgium) on October 18, 2004 at 10:54 AM (CDT)

For all u ppl who r ...well lets put it this way.. interested in joining the service…(aka ppl with a LOW IQ….e.g.IQ<7) i was bein sarcastic…

and for u smarter ppl, itsnt ther a law against dumb stuff like this????

I mean ther has gotta be….

LOL..makes me laugh..ROTLF

Posted by Shash ( Frm belgium) on October 18, 2004 at 10:57 AM (CDT)

What the hell is the point in this? Can somebody explain?

Posted by Aspect on October 18, 2004 at 11:20 AM (CDT)

Different products, different services. People to wash your clothes, prepare food, clean houses, make tax reports, mow your lawn, make grocery…

Some people will use that service, someone who won’t want to rip and spell check his 1200 CDs library, a person who have cash to spare.

It’s not because you don’t need a service that it is stupid. If nobody use it, they will close down as did all those unhealthy fast food restaurants (;

JC

Posted by jc925602 on October 18, 2004 at 11:45 AM (CDT)

This is a ridiculous “service” at best.

You’d pretty much have to be a moron to go for this. And as such, you’d deserve to be ripped off.

I agree with the poster who said, next we’ll see people offering us the “service” of charging our iPods for us.

This is just plain stupid.

Posted by jinzo-ningen on October 18, 2004 at 12:34 PM (CDT)

It takes about 30 seconds to a minute to rip an entire CD on my Mac with iTunes. Are people REALLY this lazy?

.narco

Posted by narco in Burbank on October 18, 2004 at 1:33 PM (CDT)

This amazing!

OK, so a dollar a CD isn’t _too_ much money, but if you wanted to fill a 40GB iPod you’d be looking at hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. Also, there’s no guarantee about how long the process will take, unless you pay $3 a CD for the expediated service.

If you were to send them, say, 100 CDs, I’m sure it’d take them a few weeks to get your order done. So you’re without your iPod and your music collection all that time. Anyone with an internet connection and a computer can just leave their CDs ripping while they’re doing other things. OK, so it may take a few weeks, but at least you have access to your partial collection during that time. I have my iBook set up next to my desk at work, and just pop a CD in every quarter of an hour or so.

Let the buyer beware .... I’d be amazed if the site was still online in a months time.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on October 18, 2004 at 3:28 PM (CDT)

“if you wanted to fill a 40GB iPod you’d be looking at hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.”

Based on my calculations it would take around $400 to fill a 40GB with legally licensed music in top quality from AllOfMP3.com. Why settle for anything less?

Posted by AllOfMP3.com on October 18, 2004 at 4:01 PM (CDT)

> legally licensed music

Is “AllOfMP3” a legal site? I dunno ... whenever I see lots of Russian text I immediately think ‘crack site’.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on October 18, 2004 at 4:55 PM (CDT)

Surely just releasing a program that lets users rip CDs faster would be a much simpler solution?
As for ALLOfMP3, it’s legal, but ain’t 100% legal. Law suits have been filed against it, but you’re less likely to get done than thru a file sharer.
On the plus side, some of the money does go to the Songwriter, but not the artist or record company. Hence the record companies being none too happy with them.
But 1GB (about 250songs) for $10 is fantastic value.
i suppose if as usual it’s “for private use only” then there can’t be too much harm in it.

Posted by Matt on October 18, 2004 at 5:23 PM (CDT)

That sucks dude. One dollar per CD? So if I have a 200 CD collection, it’s gonna cost me 200 dollars just to get it ripped?

That sounds like a rip… pun intended…

Posted by Awesome-O on October 18, 2004 at 9:28 PM (CDT)

Hi everyone, I’m Mike from iRip. Thank you all for your feedback. I just wanted to address some of the concerns brought up here.

First, we absolutely do not keep the songs we rip. It’s dishonest, it’s illegal, and who knows if we’ll even like the music.

Next, in response to feedback here and on other sites, we’ve set up an About Us page to hopefully quell any worries may you have. This page answers some of the trust issues mentioned here.

Finally, our goal is to help the people who don’t have enough time to dedicate a minute or so to ripping each of their CDs as well as those of us who don’t know how to. It’s hard to think that’s possible as dedicated mac users but there are people out there who need such help.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback and I hope that we can help some of you with your ripping needs.

Posted by iRip Mike on October 18, 2004 at 9:55 PM (CDT)

wow, sign me up..

I really want to send my ipod and my 800+ collection of rare CDs to an anonomous adolescent running a website out of the back of a van down by the river…

while I’m at it, I think I’ll buy some beach-front property in north dakota

cheers,

groovestuga

Posted by groovestuga on October 18, 2004 at 10:33 PM (CDT)

It’s a sad day when you see this type of service being offered. And even worse, being sucessfull. “our goal is to help the people who don’t have enough time to dedicate a minute or so to ripping each of their CDs as well as those of us who don’t know how to.” Ok if you don’t have time to rip a cd to your iPod you need to manage you time better. If you don’t know how to rip a cd you shouldn’t own an iPod.

Posted by xCSARSx in Fall River on October 18, 2004 at 10:50 PM (CDT)

I can just see this mike kid, charging $1 for washing cars in his local street for people too lazy to do it themselves. Then as he moved onto mowing lawns for $1 he discovered the internet and its lovely by-product, e-commerce. After realising people could not email him either their car or lawn he set his mind to think of some other service he could do, as his fist touched his chin he saw the iPod mini that the last six months of cars and lawns had earned him… “mike” he said to himself, “you are an entrepeneur!”

Posted by bugless in Australia on October 19, 2004 at 5:33 AM (CDT)

Interesting idea… But this would cut into my budget for people that chew my food for me.  :)

Posted by Phoenixfury in Elkhart, IN on October 19, 2004 at 9:45 AM (CDT)

OK, now will somebody sell the same service for like, 50cents a CD? LOL! Maybe after a while, there will be another competition charging only 25cents per CD, but the service is outsourced to India, so you have to send your lovely iPod and CDs there. LOL!!!

Posted by Competition? on October 19, 2004 at 11:05 PM (CDT)

I have 8 ipods and my daughter has two. She has had about 500 dics and I have 2000. The problem is we do not own computer. This service is wonderful. Fouor 2500 dollars I don’t have to buy computer and my 8 ipods and my daughter can both be filled up at the same time. Very good for us both. She likes much two. Thank you roger.

chow chow body

Posted by nejun tuat on October 20, 2004 at 7:58 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >