New iTrip for 3G iPods Delayed | iLounge News

New iTrip for 3G iPods Delayed

After sending an inquiry, I was met with this tragic news from Griffin Technology tech support.

“Hello, The new iTrip has been pushed back to the end of August.”

« Belkin TuneDok Car Holder for iPod

NPR: Music Sharing on the Web »

Comments

End of August!!??

That blows. I was on the preorder and was also expecting shipping to start July 21st (as they originally stated)

I just sold my old one (10 gb + old itrip) and received my new one (15 gb) last friday. I’m almost lost w/o the itrip I got so used to it.

Posted by Azzimodo on July 22, 2003 at 3:46 PM (CDT)

Um.. what exactly is this iTrip?
I read the site, but I don’t understand.
Does it transmit your MP3s so that it’ll play out or a radio or something? Or is it just an FM tuner for the iPod?

Posted by Squibbles on July 22, 2003 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

Why does anyone even want this thing?  The sound quality will suck—better to spend your money on getting the line-out connected directly to your stereo.

Posted by peter on July 22, 2003 at 4:30 PM (CDT)

Thats what i was thinking also peter.  I got the line out with the belkin auto adapter, and it sounds ten times better than this iTrip.  I think people want it because of the look, and the ease of not having any wires, and that it just hooks onto the top of the iPod.

Posted by Rob on July 22, 2003 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

Or you could have a broken stereo, but not a broken radio (like me), so a line in wouldn’t work, but FM transmission would.  I was looking forward to the iTrip, but I’m definetely not pleased that they pushed back the release date.

Posted by Dave on July 22, 2003 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

Certain car owners need a device like this.

Some cars (e.g., BMW) use fiber-optic wires for the antennae, so you can’t use high-end FM modulators to jack into the wire. One could get a head-unit with a line-in, but head-units are notoriously hard to install in some models of cars, and can be extremely expensive. Tape adapters are decent, but most new cars are CD-only.

So some people (e.g., me), are desperate for their new iTrip! :)

And this thing is wonderful on road-trips or on vacation: Essentially, anywhere there’s a radio serves as external speakers!

Posted by Nicholas Howard in Los Angeles, CA on July 22, 2003 at 5:35 PM (CDT)

Hertz does not like me ripping into the dashboard of their cars. So an option to use an FM transmitter. I was hoping to have it for my trip to SC in Aug.

Posted by Russ on July 22, 2003 at 5:51 PM (CDT)

Actually if you are enterprising the sound quality is quite good. Just open it up. Desolder little antenna, solder long antenna. Works like a charm.

Example: used to get good reception with my hoem stereo from about 3 feet max. Now it is about 6 yards :-) Overpowers really strong stations in my area (LA!!).

Still sounds quality leaves some questions:

1. What is the freaking whining on the high frequency? (Likely PWM side-effect). Not a show stopper, but in quiet type music it is really annoying.

2. Still occasionally if you pass certain cars, you get interference from their igniotion (just like radio stations).

3. FM dynamic range is really small. It does sound like a radio.

4. Tape adapters also suck. Dynamic range is nowhere near CD. They also make annoying sound as a result of the reel hubs rotating.

5. Splice in FM modulators still have the dynamic range problem.

Posted by pbox on July 22, 2003 at 6:27 PM (CDT)

I have 3 Amps in my house. I have also ordered the wireless remtoe control. Direct Input into either AUX or TAPE-1 ( one of the amps has cdplayer using Auxilary )

Works like a charm, sound quality rocks.

Posted by Stasyna on July 22, 2003 at 7:09 PM (CDT)

yeah…....I posted this in the forums like 2 days ago

Posted by jmc in noitacol on July 22, 2003 at 11:19 PM (CDT)

I’m pissed off man. I ordered it to my Cousins address in Canada as I am on hols there in August. But I come back on the 22nd Aug - so if I don’t receive it before then I’ll have to cancel

Posted by rare uk on July 23, 2003 at 2:04 AM (CDT)

They may get it out just in time for a 4G ipod

Posted by Ian on July 23, 2003 at 2:30 AM (CDT)

People demand will be big for this but it’s best to get it right before they ship isn’t it.

Posted by mac_gladdy on July 23, 2003 at 7:20 AM (CDT)

Posted by Nooch on July 23, 2003 at 7:27 AM (CDT)

this really sucks, I ordered my itrip the day they were announced, I’ve contact Griffin Tech but no reply as yet….July to end of August is a long wait, I bet we dont see tehm until end of Sept

Posted by mg on July 23, 2003 at 7:44 AM (CDT)

Man,  This SUCKS!  I just sold me 2G iPod + iTrip and I was hoping that the 3G iTrip would come in before the end of August.  I have a long trip to TN coming up and I was wanting this thing for the trip.  Now I guess I will have to waste $20 in getting a Cassette adapter for the trip…grrr..bad move griffin…

Posted by Scott Kendall on July 23, 2003 at 8:26 AM (CDT)

“Would be nice if they would have even sent an email out to those of us that have preordered it to let us know it wasnt shipping on the 21st also!”

I agree.

Posted by pretty darn upset on July 23, 2003 at 9:13 AM (CDT)

Seems like every gadget I get excited about and pre-order, it get’s postponed.  I saw it mentioned that this delay was for ‘political’ reasons and eluded to that it may have something to do with Apples arrangement with Belkin and possibly Belkin wanting some more time to have the market corned in the Apple stores with their Tunecast.  Hmm, that would be a really sad reason to delay a product launch and even sader thaat Apple would meddle like this.  I won’t believe it.  I am also reminded at how frustrated Griffin was when Apple launched the 3G iPods after they had their first iTrip out for such a short amount of time.  Man, the rate they are going, Apple will have the 4G out with another connector arrangement not too soon after we get our new iTrips.

Posted by Alien Hand on July 23, 2003 at 9:28 AM (CDT)

hey pbox…any chance u could post some pics/tutorial….thnx

Posted by idave03 on July 23, 2003 at 10:32 AM (CDT)

Apple will be releasing a firmware update, which gives a special menu for iTrip compatibility… that is if Apple has anything to do with the delay.  Such a firmware change would be easy, too, all they would have to do is make it play the sound file to change the station.

Just a guess.

Posted by Anonymouse on July 23, 2003 at 10:36 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >