New Lounge Poll launched | iLounge News

New Lounge Poll launched

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Thursday, August 11, 2005
News Categories: Site News

The new Lounge Poll, “What’s the highest price you would pay for a video-enabled iPod this year?” has launched in the left column below Ask iLounge. Early balloting suggests that a $599 or more expensive video device wouldn’t fly - what do you think? Cast your vote!

Complete results for previous Lounge Polls are available in the Lounge Poll archives.

« Apple loses iPod patent because of Microsoft?

Analyst: iTunes may account for 5% of Apple revenue in 2006 »

Comments

$0.00 is not a choice, I guess.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on August 11, 2005 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Sorry, but I think this is a silly poll. I thought the original iPod price was outlandish, but eventually I warmed up to it. There’s this whole theory that you’ve got to do market research to have a successful product… Apple doesn’t, yet they still have successes. Fact of the matter is, if it’s just an iPod that plays videos coming from my computer, I prolly wouldn’t spend that much for it because that feature, while major, doesn’t have much value to me… if the execute it the right way, however, and I can take the place of my Tivo with the thing, then I’ll be all over it and would spend prolly $600 for it with a decent hard drive.

The one thing I know: the unknown is the fun part!

Posted by bRaD on August 11, 2005 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

$300.00

Posted by curt on August 11, 2005 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

Considering the Zen Vision is 30GB at 399.99, then I would roughly go with a 60GB Video iPod at 499.99.

Posted by superpodmonkey on August 11, 2005 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

where is the link to the current pole?

Posted by mpeng on August 11, 2005 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

Just as bRaD says, totally pointless poll. If there are useful home-use features for the device (tivoesque) with wireless integration into OS X it pretty much depends upon the capacity. If it was just a portable video player I second PushButtonAction. I would not spend a single cent more on a device just because it has a feature I do not want. What I do want is an 80GB iPod, but for music only, and I want it NOT to have the annoying skipping problem with ALAC.

Posted by Bad Beaver on August 11, 2005 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

I’m going to agree with the majority here.  I’m personally against the not-so-recent push toward devices which insist on multitasking.  Just like people, 99% of the time, sticking to one thing at a time will always yield a better outcome.  If I needed a mobile video player I would buy one, but such a feature adds no value to my iPod which started out as, and should remain as, a portable music player.

Posted by Darek on August 11, 2005 at 9:25 PM (PDT)

No more than $449.

Posted by Mongoos150 on August 11, 2005 at 9:53 PM (PDT)

If it has DVR capability (which I think it won’t): 40gb-$399, 60gb-$499

If it has no DVR capability and has limited (you better convert it to quicktime fool!) playback capability: 40gb-$350, 60gb-$450.

A lot of it has to do if it’s gonna have the current sized screen (kinda small for movies) or if it will have a letterbox format screen placed sideways, like on the psp. What Apple choses to do in this respect really tells the world whether they believe in a product like this or if they are just doing it to appease the mob.

Posted by greatbigme on August 12, 2005 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

350.00

Posted by ExTrEmE on August 12, 2005 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

$0….not often i “look” at my ipod except to pick a playlist, podcast, or audiobook (it’s purely used for audio).

Posted by Jing in USA/Singapore on August 12, 2005 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

I’d pay a little more than for a regular iPod, for the novelty value. I don’t see it as a an overall winning feature yet. Showing photos is a far more universal desire than watching movies at the DMV.

(FYI, I’m logged in and never voted, but still it shows results and no place to vote.)

Posted by Nagromme on August 12, 2005 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Ok! I will pay 0$ for that! I think that the 4G iPods are capables to play videos if a software update for the iPod brings the possibility to. Anyway, never to watch the video on a miniscreen, you can loose your eyes!

Posted by Rafone on August 13, 2005 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

I picked $599 but that’s only because I paid nearly that much when I purchased the new photo iPod when it came out.

I would like to see a poll on how many itunes downloads have members purchased.

Posted by LDRiPod in Redondo Beach on August 14, 2005 at 4:02 PM (PDT)