New photos of Alpine’s iPod-ready receivers | iLounge News

New photos of Alpine’s iPod-ready receivers

picAt this year’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Alpine Electronics of America announced iPod-ready in-dash receivers to allow seamless control of up to 10,000 songs in the car. Japanese website AV Watch has posted several photos of the Alpine unit from the recent ALPS Show (equivalent to CES) in Japan. “Alpine has engineered a unique interface box that takes advantage of the iPod Accessory Protocol allowing audio, track information, and control signals to be communicated over the Ai-NET system bus to the in-dash receiver.  This seamless integration provides emulation of the iPod’s controls through an Alpine head unit using both the front panel buttons and the wireless remote control.”

« Replacement iPod battery for $29.99

The New Look of iLounge »

Comments

Broken link?

Posted by Sam on June 3, 2004 at 10:44 AM (CDT)

SWEET KICK ARSE

Posted by mylikes on June 3, 2004 at 10:51 AM (CDT)

I’m sold. How much, where and who’s butt do I have to kiss to get one?

Posted by metric152 on June 3, 2004 at 11:06 AM (CDT)

I’ll have to try it before I buy.. that’s a lot of money to spend on a system when you don’t know how well it’ll work in practice. :)

Posted by Jon on June 3, 2004 at 11:39 AM (CDT)

Do we need to learn to read Japanes first?

Posted by Andy on June 3, 2004 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

Forget the Alpine headunits….

I want that crazy remote controlled Car/Videogame/VR system!  Wow…. talk about boys with their toys….

Posted by Vroom vroom on June 3, 2004 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

Seems to be a rather substantial piece of hardware.  I guess I was expecting somsthing along the lines of a special cable from the head rather than another box to hide.

What I’d really like to see is a head unit that accepts the ipod like a cassette.

Posted by fnj on June 3, 2004 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

fnj, i was too thinking about a head unit where you just slide the ipod in, like a cassette.

o well, this should still be awesome, though i’ll wait awhile until best buy or ultimate electronics has one for me to test with my ipod.

Posted by j on June 3, 2004 at 1:16 PM (CDT)

So I guess it’s time to upgrade to a 3rd Gen iPod now.

Although I do like fnj’s concept better. Even if it meant no CD player.

Posted by tbdean on June 3, 2004 at 2:03 PM (CDT)

I agree.  A front dock in a car stereo for the ipod would rock.  However, I just had an Aiwa stereo installed in my car a few weeks ago.  It has a line in on the front.  I have a small compartment between the front seats that I store the iPod in and the audio cable runs out from there and the compartment closes completely.  Haven’t purchased a car charger yet, but hopefully that cable will run out through the seem also.  When I go on long trips, I plan to attach the iPod remote to my parking brake.

Speaking of remotes, one idea I have to make the remote more usable is button combos to do different standard tasks.  For example, when an album is done playing, hitting the play button two or three time in rapid succession should start playing a random track from the library and continue random tracks after that.  This would keep the music going without looking at the iPod.

Maybe there is a way to do this already, if so, let me know.

Posted by jfk99 on June 3, 2004 at 2:20 PM (CDT)

Do we have a confirmed price on this?

Posted by j-cat on June 3, 2004 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

tbdean - how do you like the aiwa unit? Which model did you get? How is the sound quality with the iPod? Why aren’t any other manufacturers making HU’s with a front-panel AUX input? Is there a reason others don’t do this?

Posted by sjonke on June 3, 2004 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

It’s about the same size as their XM tuner, from what I can tell.  Hopefully it will stack right on top of it, once they start selling the #$% thing and I can get my hands on one!  I just hope the cable is long enough to reach from the trunk mounted location to the front seat… or perhaps the glove box?

Posted by compudude on June 3, 2004 at 6:05 PM (CDT)

sjonke - I’m pretty sure JVC makes a couple head units with AUX-ins on the front; Aiwa isn’t the only one.  You should check Crutchfield if you’re interested.

Posted by Tron on June 3, 2004 at 6:47 PM (CDT)

The audio guys near me said around $70-$100 bucks for the unit and 250-1500+ for any one of the head units the ipod will work with.

Posted by Price on June 3, 2004 at 6:56 PM (CDT)

it looks expensive. Wonder what the cost is gonna be as it seems a great setup

Posted by phatbloke on June 3, 2004 at 7:33 PM (CDT)

I have a head unit with a audio-in jack as well.  This is only way to listen to the ipod in the car right now.  I have tried cassette tape adapter, iTrip, iRock, et al.

The sound is fantastic!  I highly suggest if you are serious about listening to your ipod is the car, go buy a new head unit.  It worth every penny!

Posted by mp3zero on June 3, 2004 at 8:15 PM (CDT)

Can people please give model numbers etc of the head units that have FRONT audio in jack?

Posted by Kendrick on June 3, 2004 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

Alpine makes great products and I am sure this will work seemlessly with the iPod.

however, I just cant get past the idea of spending a couple hundred dollars just to be able to control the iPod from the head unit. Isnt this just making your head unit a giant remote?

ah, well, maybe if it works with one of their fold out flat screens and it shows playlist from the iPod I will get one.

Posted by Ariza on June 3, 2004 at 9:13 PM (CDT)

I am also waiting for a deck with a fold down face to reveal a slot were I can slide in the iPod, 8-Track style. we would have come full circle, the iPod would be the new 8-Track or should i say 10,000-Track.

Posted by Ariza on June 3, 2004 at 9:14 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >