New PodGear CarDock in car charger/holder released | iLounge News

New PodGear CarDock in car charger/holder released

pic Disruptive Technology Channels recently announced the launch of the PodGear CarDock, a unique in-car cradle and charger and the first product in the PodGear line of accessories for the iPod. Unlike existing iPod car-chargers on the market, the PodGear CarDock offers completely cable-free charging so that your iPod remains easy to access, fully powered and no threat to in-car user safety (& iPod safety!) while you are on the road. Suggested retail price for the CarDock is

« Two weeks left to win an iPod on Musicalmystery.com

Lajo releases “dock friendly” exoflp case for iPod »

Comments

“a unique in-car cradle and charger”

Umm, doesn’t this look EXACTLY like the the TransPod FM?

Posted by steven on March 29, 2004 at 10:39 AM (CST)

Looks cool, but is it REAL line-out or amplified? Also, why don’t they have a link to a product website, and why does it cost so much? What is VAT? Will it be on sale in North American stores, or just in the UK?

Otherwise, it looks cool.

Posted by Nick on March 29, 2004 at 1:05 PM (CST)

“What is VAT?”

VAT is “Value Added Tax” - common within EU countries.

It is like Sales Tax in US STates, except that there are different bands of VAT based on whether a good/service is judged to be essential/normal/luxury and so on.

Also, all advertised prices in EU must include VAT, so no nasty surprises at the checkout. Unlike the US where you are never exactly certain how much you are paying for something because they add all these weird little sales tax percentages on when you try to pay for something.

Posted by VAT on March 29, 2004 at 1:08 PM (CST)

Also, if you buy from outside the EU you don’t have to pay VAT, so you effectively get a discount.

And if you are just a visitor to the EU and buy things, keep the receipts. Because when you leave you can file a claim from outside the EU for a refund of any VAT you paid.

I don’t think non-USians can get refunds of Sales Taxes.

Posted by VAT on March 29, 2004 at 1:10 PM (CST)

Oh. Thanks. Danke Sch

Posted by Nick on March 29, 2004 at 1:24 PM (CST)

that’s pretty sweet.  Could have saved me an ipod dock.  Would love to see more pics

Posted by dave on March 29, 2004 at 2:04 PM (CST)

Disruptive Technology Channels

What is disruptive is their website, disruptive to business that is.

Posted by malcanta on March 29, 2004 at 2:19 PM (CST)

Will this suffer from the same problems which affect mobile phone holders/chargers which plug into the 12v outlet?
With the new hands free law being introduced into the UK recently I bought a holder/handsfree device for my wife to use in her car. It was useless. The weight of the phone (Nokia 3310) just dragged the holder down and it also stuck out   to far and fouled the gear lever when selecting 1st and 3rd gear.
I think this (and the Transpod?) could be just as prone to getting in the way.

Posted by MadPict in UK on March 29, 2004 at 3:44 PM (CST)

//I think this (and the Transpod?) could be just as prone to getting in the way.//

Maybe, if we all drove the exact same car.

Posted by turbora on March 29, 2004 at 6:32 PM (CST)

Won’t be a big problem with shifting here in the states since we unfortuntely didn’t stay on the manual train.  It will, however, wipe out my cupholders.

Posted by Taco John on March 29, 2004 at 6:35 PM (CST)

Note that this device is not authorized by Apple! It incorporates cloned parts which are patent protected by Apple and one of its supplier.

Posted by iPod Insider on March 29, 2004 at 8:23 PM (CST)

Hello, I’m new to the forums, and this is my first post. I’ve owned my 15GB iPod for 2 days, and so far love it. :)

I purchased this FM transmitter item today.  I had originally planned to get the iTrip, Belkin cup holder for iPod, and Belkins car kit (with wires).  Then I saw this item.

I decided to purchase the TransPod FM because it is fully integrated, and saves me from buying the iTrip, Belkin cup holder, and Belkin’s car plug with wires.  When one adds up the cost of the 3 separate items the come out to the same price as the integrated solution.

In addition to what is in the picture, it also comes with a dashboard mount (some sticky with velcro, and wire that plugs to your lighter (similar to the belkin car kit).  So if you want to plug directly to the ligher (as I did) you have it (as pictured on this site). If you want on dash, you have that solution two, all in the same package…very cool.

The sound is VERY clear, (same as when I play my own CDs I burn from the same MP3 files).  I can say you will be very happy with this.

I have one suggestion, when using this, set the iPod’s EQ to “off” (this way your car stereo’s Bass and Trebile settings work as normal.  I originally had my iPod’s EQ to “Flat” (so songs auto use the preset EQ settings).  When I am out of the car, I just set the EQ back to “Flat.”

Anyway, I just wanted to give my 2 cents worth.

Rodney :)

Posted by Rodney on March 29, 2004 at 8:38 PM (CST)

I should have added to my previous comment, the dashboard solution (not pictured) used velcro, but the velcro doe not go directly on the iPod hahaha.  there is a plate that connects to the holder with the same arm adjustments. So you have the same flexibility of the arm with the dash solution as you have with the lighter solution…  Rodney :)

Posted by Rodney on March 29, 2004 at 8:41 PM (CST)

rodney - that’s a different product.

Posted by dave on March 29, 2004 at 9:29 PM (CST)

Can’t wait to see what DLO says when they see this “unique design”.

Posted by Jolten Joe on March 30, 2004 at 7:37 AM (CST)

Great website—a single 700 x 600 gif!

Posted by Bill / on March 30, 2004 at 10:02 AM (CST)

I guess they just get this from the following company:

Posted by p. fontana on March 31, 2004 at 5:40 AM (CST)

Looks like seido has a US base (Texas) distrbution center:

Posted by derek on March 31, 2004 at 5:57 PM (CST)

I just bought one of these today, (Podgear cardock), and what you don’t see in the picture is that it has a whole extra arm section that you can choose to attach. To clarify -when I connected it to my car ‘s cigar lighter with the standard attachment, yes it got in the way of 1st gear, but adding the extra bit gives you approx. another 3 inches and a couple more hinges (I think). So now it’s mounted well out the way of the gear stick and I can operate the buttons on my car stereo too. It also comes with a little plastic cuff that fits into the lighter to tighten it up if it’s too loose, and stops it being wobbly - I needed this bit. I drove today in average town traffic and it didn’t move around at all. I’m totally happy with it. Except it’s a bit garishly white against my black dashboard, and reminds me of a Heath-Robinson invention but hey - it works!

Posted by jaz on September 9, 2004 at 5:10 PM (CDT)