New Poll: Are 5 iPod touch apps worth $20? | iLounge News

New Poll: Are 5 iPod touch apps worth $20?

After reading the many comments we have received since Apple’s announcement that it would sell a set of five iPod touch applications for $20, we wanted to poll our readership on an important question: are Apple’s Mail, Notes, Stocks, Weather, and Maps applications worth the asking price?

When answering the poll question, found on the left hand column of the main iLounge.com homepage, bear in mind that the price could have been less or zero, could have been more, and could have been split so that individual features were sold at different prices. Since this is the first time that Apple has tried to charge users for iPod programs—other than games—and the results of your purchases will likely influence the company’s future iPhone and iPod application sales plans, we’d really like to know what you think. Answer the poll today!

« 2008 Best of Show Awards: Judging Underway

Full transcript of Apple’s ‘08 Keynote Address »

Comments

Seems a bit of a slap in the face to iPod Touch owners that they have to shell out twenty bucks for the upgrade while telling iPhone and Apple TV owners that they’re getting upgrades for free.
It seems even more so since these are features that will be included on all new iPod Touches.
I can understand that Apple wants to set some sort of precedent about purchasing programs, but this is certainly the wrong way to go about it. I don’t even own a Touch and I’m irked.

Posted by Miranda Kali on January 16, 2008 at 8:53 AM (CST)

Paying for apps is fine, but the upgraded features such as the home page are software upgrades and not apps. They are user interface upgardes that enhance the itouch sw. Apps are separate programs. The $ 20 pricetag for just the apps is acceptable but I have no need for them and can get most of it as a free web app. Mine is about 2 weeks old and I could probably get it traded in but it would cost more than the upgrade. Why a restocking fee when it they are providing the upgrade for free. Hopefully, it will be like when the iphone came out and rebated the price reduction…

Posted by marc0269 on January 16, 2008 at 8:54 AM (CST)

1)  As noted, the fact that Touch users have to pay for upgrades while users of other Apple products that are getting upgrades don’t have to pay is crap.  It wouldn’t have anything to do w/the fact that the Touch is a commercial success while Apple TV was a huge flop, would it?

2)  These apps should have been included in the initial release of the Touch, as evidenced by the fact that new Touches will now ship w/the apps in question.  Why weren’t they included upon release?  The apps were developed, as they were released w/the iPhone.  Seems to me either Apple dropped the ball when they said that Touch users didn’t really want those apps (that’s what they said upon the Touch release) or they’ve been planning to gouge their early adopters from the get-go.

3)  Also, as previously noted, most of these apps aren’t really going to be all that effective on the Touch due to a lack of continued connectivity to the net.  Thus, their value is significantly reduced.

4)  I am on my second Touch as my first one crapped-out on me after a couple of months.  So, if my current Touch eats it, does that mean my replacement will have these apps for free?  I had my Touch replaced right before Christmas.  If my 1st Touch has bought the farm a month later, does that mean I would have gotten these apps for free?

APPLE IS THE NEW MICROSOFT (and no, Steve, that’s not meant as a compliment.)

Posted by Killer Dave on January 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM (CST)

John (#18),

Apps cost money (sometimes). Software updates don’t. I don’t remember having to pay for previous Mac OS X or iPod updates, like OSX 10.5.1 or the previous iPod touch update.

To continue your analogy, they’re not asking you to spend $79 for iLife, they’re asking you to spend $79 for iLife just so you can upgrade your Mac to 10.5.2.

Just like I’d expect 10.5.2 to be free, I expect 1.1.3 to be free as well.

Patrick (#19),

You can install 1.1.3, but it doesn’t seem to add or do anything until you pay the $20.

Posted by Guillermo on January 16, 2008 at 9:17 AM (CST)

I think it really comes down to the principle of it all. To be charged $20 for an “upgrade” to add some applications that should have been there on day one I think is wrong. There was really no compelling technical reason why the touch should not have had almost the same applications as the iPhone when it launched.

Now if a developer came out and released an application for the touch—let’s say if eBay developed some new auction software for touch users, it’s certainly fair of them to charge for it if they wish. I also think that if the 2G touch had some new apps, then it’d be fair of Apple to charge $20 or more for an upgrade to whatever new apps or capabilities the 2G’s got. I know I would have paid to upgrade the software on my 5G iPod to be more in line with the 5.5G model.

And while we’re on the subject of upgrades, why are Apple TV users given a free pass to a major upgrade? (Don’t answer that—it’s a rhetorical question.)

To some, $20 is a lot of money. To others, it’s their daily Starbucks latte allowance. What it boils down to is principle.

I think it would be more fair if Apple gave existing owners the upgrade for free and then raised the price of the upgraded touches by a few dollars. (So are we going to refer to these new ones as the 1.1G touches or the 1.5G touches?)

Folks will say that it’s the price you pay to be an early adopter. Normally, I’d agree. After all, early adopters have the privilege of being the first on the block with their touch, HDTV, Blu-Ray, or whatever new gadget hits the streets. But in this case, since it comes down to putting something back that should have shipped originally, I’d have to side with those who are angry. (My only caveat to this is the maps stuff, which sounds new compared to what the iPhone is equipped with. For that, I think people should pay.)

All that being said, I’m reluctant to say that if I were a touch owner, I’d probably fork over the cash for the upgrade. But I don’t own a touch and aren’t faced with that choice.

I would, however, encourage angry touch owners to e-mail Apple and voice their displeasure.

Posted by cxc273 on January 16, 2008 at 9:19 AM (CST)

I think $20 is low enough not to cause too much backlash, but I agree that this should have been included with initial launch since it is essentially normalizing the iPod Touch with the iPhone. One thing to note is that the firmware update to 1.1.3 was separate from the Software Upgrade, which tells me that the $20 is essentially for the apps, but I didn’t try to move any of the original Home apps to see if that came with the firmware or the Software Update.

Posted by treycranson on January 16, 2008 at 9:22 AM (CST)

This is testing the waters.  In the future I see them charging for new Apple developed iPhone apps as well.  When you look at the fact that in the US we are all locked into 2 year contracts due to our purchase you have to think that there won’t be an iPhone 2 for 2 years.  So how does apple make money besides revenue sharing?  Selling applications!

Posted by Xenious on January 16, 2008 at 9:24 AM (CST)

I think it is fair to say that Apple wanted to cut off the hackers by bringing the software that users wanted to go in the first place in their IPod Touch;I am happy to have them installed without having to hack my IPT(IPod Touch).

I don’t think it is a spending but rather a plus in my case!

JF

Posted by jean-francois laferte on January 16, 2008 at 9:28 AM (CST)

bwahahahaha….“apple is clearly in the wrong”.

Didn’t realize you were being forced to do anything.

Here’s a newsflash: purchasers always want to pay less for something, sellers would always prefer you pay more.  Where those two meet is the price.

If you don’t want to pay the price, don’t…simple.

There is no justification for any of the “should” in these complaints.  What basis could anyone use for “should”? That’s an imperative…this is a consumer product, which EVERYONE BOUGHT WITHOUT THESE APPLICATIONS.

It was believed that the Touch was worth the money when it was purchased, there was no promise of forthcoming x or y programs.  This is a different item, a different purchase: if it’s not worth it to you, don’t buy it.

You are, of course, free to say that you *think it should be less*, or that Apple is making a bad decision in charging for it, but you’re conflating words when you say they’re ‘clearly in the wrong’ about something freely offered as an extra service.

Posted by OnlyShawn on January 16, 2008 at 9:32 AM (CST)

The apps are great, but I don’t know if I would spend the money.  I have an iPhone that already has these features which I can use almost anywhere, but if I had a touch and bought these apps I would still need to be near wifi to use them, which kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me.  if you have to be on your own home network to use it or drive around to find a hotspot just to lookup directions or check email, what’s the point?  I know public hotspots are becoming more prolific, but it’s still not enough at the moment. so although the apps are very useful, can they be used in a practical sense?  I don’t think so. also i.m.o. early adopters should also not be penalized, especially since it’s a very new product.

Posted by franticnomad on January 16, 2008 at 9:44 AM (CST)

I already commented earlier. Some people see this as a total rip off. But you have to calculate some stuff here:

new iPod touch (in my country): € 369,- (with new firmware course)
bought it for: € 399
firmware: € 17.99, say € 20,-

I have it 3 months now i think? If you would take a look at the price difference it would be (without the firmware) € 50,-. Depreciation would be 50/3 = € 16,67 a month… Is that so bad?

You would depreciate the iPod touch for around 25 months (2 years and 1 month) to € 0,-. Well, most of us would have bought a new one probably.

So what’s the fuss all about?!?!

Posted by IT on January 16, 2008 at 9:45 AM (CST)

To cxc273 (post #25):

RE:  Your caveat about the maps application.

Actually, the fact that Apple is charging for the maps app is the most egregious slap in the face of all of this.  The maps app w/the pseudo GPS is really just the latest version of mobile Google maps, WHICH IS A FREE DOWNLOAD FROM GOOGLE!  I have it on my Blackberry and it’s a great little program.

Why should I have to pay for a free application?  Just so I can install it w/out having to jailbreak my Touch and void my warranty?

As for those who are saying, “Well you bought the Touch knowing what programs were on it, so stop whining.”  The touch is similar to a smart phone…in a sense it’s a mini-pc…kind of like my Blackberry.  I install apps on my Blackberry all the time.  Sometimes I have to pay for the app and sometimes it’s free, but RIM doesn’t make me pay them to install the apps or risk voiding my warranty to do so.

Posted by Killer Dave on January 16, 2008 at 9:48 AM (CST)

No, I have not upgraded my Touch yet because of the $20.  It is not that $20 is a bunch of money, it is the fact that I got my Touch last month and now they want $20 to do the upgrade.  I will just wait and Jailbreak with the new updated applications.

Posted by Matthew J on January 16, 2008 at 9:48 AM (CST)

and why does it cost more in the uk for the app in $ it would be $26 why is it more for the same apps here in the uk

this was the same with the msuic thay charged more in the uk and got a slap for it and then thay priced them down why do thay still charge more to to the uk customers

Posted by lee on January 16, 2008 at 10:17 AM (CST)

what I wanna know is, is Apple gonna charge us each time they add new stuff to the ipod touch?

Posted by roger767 on January 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM (CST)

Would I pay $20.00 for the new ipod touch apps…in the words of Whitney Houston…Hell to the NAW!

$20 isn’t a lot of money but the idea of paying for an update makes me squirm.  On the other hand early adopters like myself typically get the short end to be the first to have the latest and greatest.

What the Touch really needs is a memory bump.  I need at least 30gigs to let go of my original ipod, and I think a lot of folks feel the same way.  Once the Touch reaches 30 gigs or more sales will take off like a rocket.

Posted by ArtVandelay on January 16, 2008 at 11:12 AM (CST)

It doesn’t matter to me now because apparently the new chargeable apps upgrade is only available in the U.S.?

Here in Singapore, all iTunes did was update my iPod touch software, but not able to buy the new apps.

Cheers

Posted by H W Tan on January 16, 2008 at 11:28 AM (CST)

Based on prior discussion and comment here and elsewhere, it seems likely that Apple is using the iPod Touch $20 update surcharge as a testcase not only to prepare us to pay for future apps developed with their SDK but as a pipecleaner for the whole model of paying for apps via iTunes. I believe the only reason the iPhone escaped the fee is because its customers were already p-ed off once with the price drop / $100 credit fiasco (and Apple doesn’t want to take another risk so soon) or because Apple is trying to provide these customers with some perks for what it considers their “premium” iPod product.

Posted by GBsLaw on January 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM (CST)

The fact is that Apple can charge whatever they want for their products and services. The question, as others have stated, is whether it is worth $20 for you to oblige them. While I wish it had been a free upgrade and I don’t know why it wasn’t, it is still worth the $20. Mail and Maps alone are worth it. They should have been there from the start, but the fact that they are officially available now is great. Imay not want to pay $20 for it, but I willingly do so because it’s worth it to me.

Posted by jasonact on January 16, 2008 at 12:26 PM (CST)

so.. what no one can tell me is this… I bought a touch YESTERDAY (Jan 15) @ Best Buy and it didn’t come with the new update nor apps.. this is quite understandable, I know. BUT, Steve said in his keynote that any bought Jan 15 or later would have this included. So, how does one go about getting this free upgrade vs having to pay for it.. nothing on Apple’s site, nothing in their help forums, nothing helpful at all..

Posted by funkright on January 16, 2008 at 12:48 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >