New Poll: Are 5 iPod touch apps worth $20? | iLounge News

New Poll: Are 5 iPod touch apps worth $20?

After reading the many comments we have received since Apple’s announcement that it would sell a set of five iPod touch applications for $20, we wanted to poll our readership on an important question: are Apple’s Mail, Notes, Stocks, Weather, and Maps applications worth the asking price?

When answering the poll question, found on the left hand column of the main iLounge.com homepage, bear in mind that the price could have been less or zero, could have been more, and could have been split so that individual features were sold at different prices. Since this is the first time that Apple has tried to charge users for iPod programs—other than games—and the results of your purchases will likely influence the company’s future iPhone and iPod application sales plans, we’d really like to know what you think. Answer the poll today!

« 2008 Best of Show Awards: Judging Underway

Full transcript of Apple’s ‘08 Keynote Address »

Comments

You Americans are lucky. In the UK we have to pay £13, which is the equivalent of about $26! If it was £10 I’d pay for it, but it drives me mad that UK residents are being ripped off yet again!

Posted by Wii-man on January 16, 2008 at 12:56 PM (CST)

All iPod touch current and new sales sould have this update for free, or the new iPods should be $20 more.

Will I pay for it, probably and get even more mad in a few weeks when Apple offers it for free realizing they ticked off their customers.

Will someone please tell me who to complain to.  It seems that the email for iPod support is missing from the Apple website.

Posted by Kevinc on January 16, 2008 at 1:21 PM (CST)

Actually the Sarbanes Oxley theory is correct (was confirmed to me by an Apple exec. yesterday).

When Apple launched the Appel TV and the iPhone they said they would be ammortising the cost over several months - hance they don’t need to charge for upgrades.

Apple doesn’t account for iPods in the same way, hence they have to charge for the upgrade to the iPod Touch.

Posted by DTM on January 16, 2008 at 1:26 PM (CST)

OnlyShawn has a point when he says that there were no promises made when folks bought a touch. Would it have e-mail or maps? At that point, no.

As many iLounge editors will advise when asked by newbies about when is the best time to buy an iPod, the answer is always “if does what you want it to do.” Buyers will drive themselves mad if they keep waiting for what’s on the horizon.

Now if the iPhone didn’t exist, I doubt there’d be the degree of discussion there is regarding whether it’s right or wrong to pay $20 for a software upgrade on the touch. I think people would happily pay to upgrade their units.

But the fact of the matter is that the iPhone exists and the touch, for right or wrong, is basically perceived by most folks as an iPhone without the phone. Once that’s in the mix and people know what apps come with the iPhone, you’ll get people arguing that the apps should have been there in the first place versus those who don’t have a problem with it.

As other posters have said, this could be a trial balloon on the part of Apple to see if can open a new revenue stream by offering incremental upgrades for a fee. Folks will decide with their wallets whether this will fly or not.

Though I’ve always loved and admired Apple products, this does cast some doubt as to whether I might be an early adopter of their products ever again. Of course, early adopters will always feel a sense of remorse or anger when something inevitably replaces what they’ve bought, but I think in this instance, those feelings may be justified.

(And as for what Killer Dave responded to what I said earlier about the maps application, I’ll have to defer to him as I’ve had very little experience with that particular app on the iPhone. I mistakenly though the map triangulation thing was something new that was developed for the touch, since it lacked the continuous data access to a network like iPhone has.)

Posted by cxc273 on January 16, 2008 at 1:37 PM (CST)

Kevinc,

You can offer product feedback on the touch on Apple’s site at:

Posted by cxc273 on January 16, 2008 at 1:40 PM (CST)

i am disappointed to see the $20 price tag for the upgrade. i received my Touch as a Christmas present less than 2 weeks ago and as such was not an ‘early adopter’ by any sense of the word. even though mine was a gift, it feels wrong to have to pay to get functionality that really should have been there in the first place.

i agree with the others. if you’re going to charge us, then new owners need to pay the same amount more for theirs. these apps are less useful on the Touch than on the iPhone due to the reliance on WiFi.

will i buy the upgrade? probably. i use my Touch as a PDA (prefer my Shuffle for music) and could see myself using the email, notes and weather apps. couldn’t give a toss about stocks though.

Posted by eliska on January 16, 2008 at 1:56 PM (CST)

cxc273

Thanks for the link

You eluded that this was aproblem due to the existing of the iPhone being a dimilar product.  I do not beleive this to be true.  The problem is that Apple is disrespecting it’s “early adopter” customers by giving the upgrade to new buyers for free.  If every one had to buy it then fine, no gripe; I will pay and be quite. But what sold me on Apple was this mentality of “we treat our customers better and listen to them”.  How do you treat you customers better if you do this kind of thing on multiple instances?  The fact is that Apple is no better than MS now…no wait MS does not charge for updates.

Posted by Kevinc on January 16, 2008 at 3:31 PM (CST)

KevinC, my point about the existence of the iPhone was that these applications were out there on the iPhone and people knew about them. So when the touch came out, people complained because they saw what applications the iPhone had and what the touch didn’t have. So in the minds of many people, the touch was considered “incomplete.”

I am curious to see if Apple sticks to its guns on this or if it backs down.

Posted by cxc273 on January 16, 2008 at 3:58 PM (CST)

I actually own both an iPod touch and an iPhone.  yeah, call me crazy.  I bought the touch first as I already had a treo.  But then, my treo increasingly started crashing more and chewing up the battery like crazy.  not to mention, the browser stunk.  I figured, since i liked the touch so much, might as well get an iPhone.  (now my treo has been relegated to GPS duty in my car).  Not the wisest way to spend $800, but i can afford it.  Even though $20 to upgrade my touch is nothing to me, I still give apple a big loud “BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO” for that upgrade fee.  I don’t know what Steve Jobs was thinking, there has got to be no logic to this move.  As a dual owner, I have no incentive to upgrade my touch.  I can jailbreak it if i feel like it and get those apps for free, or wait till it needs a battery replacement and get those apps for free then.  Bad Move Apple.

Posted by matrixwalker on January 16, 2008 at 4:16 PM (CST)

Isn’t Accounting the reason you have to pay $20.

Both Apple TV and iphone profits are spread out over 2 years.  But the ipod touch isnt.

Posted by donald on January 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM (CST)

Apple is learning a profit lesson from cell phone companies. Just nickel and dime your customers to death. I’m amazed how much a cell phone plan costs after all the “extras” are tallied up. For 4 hundred dollars the features of a touch are incredibly overpriced. We are junkies and sheep, Jobs knows that, and like the drug dealer he knows you’ll pay for your addiction, plain and simple. I jailbroke mine and I do not feel bad about it at all. I do think Apple had lost most of it’s “underground” charm. They are now just like their nemesis, MS in the moneymaking sense. Profits are #1, everything else is far behind.

Posted by Rick Carlson on January 16, 2008 at 5:17 PM (CST)

The ipod touch is a unique device.  It is not a closed system like the other Ipods.
Get over the $20 and live in the now.  Apple is controlled by shareholders just like everyone else.  The device is brilliant business wise and user wise.  Just pay the money and you will be glad you did.  I know I am.

Posted by carlt on January 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM (CST)

The past 2 days, I have lost about $20,000 in my Apple stock portfolio.

Needless to say, it stings somewhat to have to pay the $20 additional bucks.

My heart fell (and my stomach too) listening to Steve’s presentation and watching the stock dive in free flight

Posted by TexasPhoto on January 16, 2008 at 7:38 PM (CST)

Word of advice do not purchase from a PC/Mac that is not your primary music library holder.  I was on the road and itchin to try the new Apps but I didn’t bring my Mac Mini.  I was able to install the 1.1.3 with my laptop but the Apps have to be installed on the PC/Mac that you sync with (unless you don’t mind overwriting the Touch’s library).  Why do they say call it syncing when it’s only one way?  I still think the 20 bucks is OK but understand why the majority are POd.

Posted by DrLotto on January 16, 2008 at 7:58 PM (CST)

I have a Week 38 touch and downloaded them last night, just in time to spend nearly 10 hours waiting in an ER. The mail app alone is worth it for me. Everything’s faster outside of the browser. I also used the map, weather and stock applets. I haven’t tried Notes yet, but I’m sure I’ll find a use for it.

I just wish I had them last month when I was traveling a lot. I ended up taking my iBook with me, and wouldn’t have felt I needed it as much had my touch had a good mail applet.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on January 16, 2008 at 8:52 PM (CST)

I from south america. To me, $20 for apps is fine. But you know what, I haven’t access to iTunes Store…

The problem is not the $20… the problem is that if Apple wanna sell us the apps, it must be sell for everybody.

The major sales of the iPod touch were in the last holidays. So, the customers who bought iPod touch 3 weeks ago now had to paid.

That’s the problem, the $20 fee must be for everybody, including new users. That could be fine.

Posted by Ernesto on January 16, 2008 at 10:47 PM (CST)

To me, the bottom line is….  As far as I know, the 8 gig iTouch is STILL going to be $299 WITH the new apps. I paid $299 the second week of Dec. WITHOUT the new apps. Don’t seem fair to me. Dodged the screen issues only to run into a $20 set of programs that SHOULD be free.

@ Ernesto—That seems to be an ideal solution. Since early adopters didn’t get the apps for free, then EVERYONE should pay to get them.

Posted by BeatlzFan5 on January 16, 2008 at 11:50 PM (CST)

its outrageous that the iphone gets new apps for free and the touch does not. how can they justify doing so? With that said I reluctantly bought the apps… my ipod is set to manual sync so the only way to install the apps is to restore my ipod or uncheck manual sync?!??! so basically loose my music and use the apps i paid for or loose out on 20 bucks…. what a monumental disappointment.

Posted by alex on January 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM (CST)

Nope.

Posted by _Ethan on January 17, 2008 at 1:16 PM (CST)

Ok, if the iPod Touch from here on is going to come with this $20 worth of new software, are they raising the price of the Touch by $20?  If not, then they shouldn’t be charging existing Touch users $20 for it.

Posted by IsLNdbOi on January 17, 2008 at 1:58 PM (CST)

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >