New Poll: Are 5 iPod touch apps worth $20? | iLounge News

New Poll: Are 5 iPod touch apps worth $20?

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, January 16, 2008
News Categories: Site News

After reading the many comments we have received since Apple’s announcement that it would sell a set of five iPod touch applications for $20, we wanted to poll our readership on an important question: are Apple’s Mail, Notes, Stocks, Weather, and Maps applications worth the asking price?

When answering the poll question, found on the left hand column of the main iLounge.com homepage, bear in mind that the price could have been less or zero, could have been more, and could have been split so that individual features were sold at different prices. Since this is the first time that Apple has tried to charge users for iPod programs—other than games—and the results of your purchases will likely influence the company’s future iPhone and iPod application sales plans, we’d really like to know what you think. Answer the poll today!

« 2008 Best of Show Awards: Judging Underway

Full transcript of Apple’s ‘08 Keynote Address »

Comments

I don’t get why everyone is complaining so much. The new apps are awesome! Of course free would have been cool but the update is definately worth $20. We’re talking about an incredible mail app, the awesome google maps app, and the abilty to move icons around and create multiple home screens… and that’s not even the end of it. You’ve also got your weather app, your stocks app and the notes app (which is great I might add)! $20 seems like a pretty good price to me. I’m happy anyway =)

Posted by John on January 17, 2008 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

This is the last ipod i own. And i have 5.
A macbook was in the pipeline but not anymore. The begining of Crippleware

Posted by daniel on January 17, 2008 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

Yes. I realized that the primary thing I liked about having my iPod touch “jailbroken” was to have the 5 Apple apps. Of course, the legality of copying the the iPhone apps to a jailbroken iPod touch was questionable. Also, the new versions have some great new features. Would I have preferred the apps to be free? Of course. However, I didn’t hesitate to pay the $20 because the apps, especially Mail and Maps, are worth it, as is the ability to easily rearrange the icons and the web clippings feature.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on January 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

In all the time each one of you cried about how apple is ripping you off (and they are), you could have jailbroke your ipod touch and had the apps for free.

Posted by unbelievable on January 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Yea, free for newbies and $20 for early adopters is an insult.

Being able to add webapps to the home page and the email feature has me thinking about the upgrade. It’s all in how you use your device.

Nevertheless, I’ll probably give Apple the middle finger and jailbreak my touch. (For those who don’t know, Youtube has numerous videos.)

It appears apps are gonna be another addition to ITunes store. No matter, I’m sure the open source gurus will keep our free opium-tech high rolling along.

Posted by Rumblebones on January 18, 2008 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

I have an ipod touch and i upgraded because i thought the applications were cool. I thought about paying for these applications but i did anyway because i wanted these cool applications.

Posted by Rita on January 20, 2008 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

I don’t care about paying $20 for the apps. I jailbroke my touch, can have these apps for free if I want, and when the SDK comes out, I don’t forsee paying the outrageous prices that this latest maneuver makes me think they’re going to charge.

I care about them tying the apps in with the software upgrade to get more money. Not everyone is going to want those applications because they’ll get no use out of them. Many, however, will want the customization feature. Knowing this, Apple lumps its software upgrade with the apps. This is dumb, not only because it angers the loyal Apple fans who, for one reason or another, refuse to jailbreak, but because it provides no incentive for the jailbroken to pay for features they’ve had free for months.

Posted by DevilNeville on January 20, 2008 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

Why the sh!t would I pay 20$ for an update that has apps that only work while in WiFi range? Maps? what are the chances that when you need to use the function to find a place you actually have a WiFi connection? I would sooner go to google maps on my home computer than #### around for 10 minutes trying to find a free WiFi access point. New Gen ipod touches get the app. Why? early buyers get boned again

Posted by James on January 20, 2008 at 11:53 PM (PDT)

$20? When thousands have gotten them for free via jailbreaking? You’re kidding right?

Posted by Jonathan Jong on January 22, 2008 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

I bought Touch at Christmas. It is just less than one month, I have to pay for something free in new Touch. It is ridiculous. We should complain to Apple like IPhone early adopters do. Suit the bad Apple.

Posted by John on January 25, 2008 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

It’s stupid to make people pay for a feature that’s available for the same product just because they bought the earlier versions. If this new feature doesn’t add cost to the new release why would it then be an additional cost for an upgrade.

If they’re using SOx as an excuse then why does the other products like PSP and etc. are not legally bound to enforced it.

I truly believe that they think because consumers like their product so much that they would pay them anything that they can get away with.

Anybody can check their email from msn, yahoo or what have you with their ipod touch as long as you are conected to Internet and so goes for maps, weather, stocks. The only thing that’s interesting is the notes app but that is not worth $20.

Posted by JD on January 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

I don’t think so.
I think it would be an iPhone, but without the phone!
Oooh! Gret news, it will be!
But you must pay $20!
No deal, I’m not buying ¬¬’

I think Apple could make things cheaper, I mean I payed a good price for an iPod touch.
Nice, ooh, for full features I’ll have to pay more $20!

Posted by Allan on January 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM (PDT)

Now, let me put this in another perspective:

They essentially lowered the price of the original iPod touch by $20 (as can be evidenced by all the older stock being reduced in price to $270 / $379 at most retail stores).

The people buying the new iPod touch at the $299 / $399 price point are ALSO paying for this software/update package. They’re just getting it pre-installed, and after the old stock runs out, they won’t have the option to skip paying for this update. They’re stuck paying the $20 for it, built into the price of the iPod touch, but reflecting the price drop at the same time.

Thus early adopters paid a higher price as usual. It’s no different with anything else—You buy it early, you pay more for it.

This is a good thing—They’ve dropped the price of the iPod touch, and then offered a software package to make it do more.

And how, exactly, is selling software for your OS X device any different in this case? It’s a small price to pay for some nice applications and a software update.

I pay for my software on my MacBook that runs OS X. Why shouldn’t I expect to pay for software on my iPod that runs OS X, too?

Posted by Wilder_K_Wight on February 3, 2008 at 9:42 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4