New smaller, flash-based iPod this Christmas? | iLounge News

New smaller, flash-based iPod this Christmas?

“Citing ‘numerous sources in Asia,’ Thomas Weisel analyst Jason Pflaum said Apple will use SigmaTel’s controller chips for a player it’s planning to launch this Christmas. [...]

Unlike Apple’s hugely popular iPod and iPod Mini players, the new player would use solid-state flash memory, which has less capacity but can make for a lighter, cheaper player.”

« Future iPod to add integrated radio?

Apple changes iPod mini retail packaging »

Comments

wouldn’t it be so cool if they put, say, a 2g buffer in a hd based player? I know the size thing doesn’t work out, at least not yet, but that’d be some awesome battery life..

Posted by Eric on October 4, 2004 at 10:23 AM (CDT)

Take your iPod to the gym and stop being weiners.  Geesh.  I take my non-mini iPod to the gym 4 times a week…no problem.

Posted by gym on October 4, 2004 at 10:48 AM (CDT)

I don’t see why some of you are upset about this.  This is a great way to make more profit and boost apple sales etc.  I can not see how this could hurt apple, it could only do good.  As for anyone who doesn’t like haveing a flash player, Me included you don’t have to worry there still be the mini and larger iPod.  I like carrying all my music with me so I wouldn’t want this but people who exercise would and teen’s, and younger people.

I would also like to say of course you could exercise and jog etc. with iPod or iPod mini and it can take it fine but flash players are still more durable.  You can throw a flash player as hard as can into the pavement and it would still work.  The thing may be badly damaged but if intact it would probalbly work and an iPod or Mini couldn’t take that kind of beating

Posted by Jonathan on October 4, 2004 at 12:03 PM (CDT)

^your hardest throw must resemble that of an 8 yr old girl then.

Posted by flying_monkey on October 4, 2004 at 11:27 PM (CDT)

lol

Posted by Louis on October 5, 2004 at 12:22 AM (CDT)

I’d consider buying an “iPod Micro” for the gym. But at the moment, my 20GB iPod does the job just fine.

Posted by seantest on October 6, 2004 at 8:49 AM (CDT)

This is not realted to APPLE Product ....remember the Motorola and Apple cooperation….

You will see this iTunes working on Mobile phone which uses flash memory…

Posted by RSA on October 8, 2004 at 2:32 AM (CDT)

I wonder if it will kick iRiver’s arsh. iRiver already has incredible COLOR SCREEN/DIGITAL CAMERA flash-based players and talk about the battery life on it. Also the sound quality. Good luck Apple, you’ll need it. Oh yea they have cd players with COLOR LCD SCREENs that play video files. Can Apple catch up? We’ll see.

Posted by h0p3l355is4 on October 9, 2004 at 3:51 PM (CDT)

In response to h0p3l355is4’s comment, Yes, apple will kick iriver’s “arsh”, because it’s apple. whether the product is even any good, it doesn’t matter, apple fanatics will buy it, and now that ipods are officially “cool”, kids will want to buy it because it’s a cheaper ipod.

Posted by Katunka89 on October 9, 2004 at 9:25 PM (CDT)

say the matra, apple rules! YA! Its true, I have apple everything, computers, ipods , you name it, the Ipod is unique, and companies like Creative copied it with products like Zen Touch. Apple is way easier to use and it rocks. My verdict, anything other then the iPod stinks. Besides, even though iRiver is colour, it drains the battery, plus its just an MP3, that looks like an ugly cellphone.In response to H0P31355is4’s comment, you must have a low IQ to think that

Posted by mr.homie on October 11, 2004 at 12:26 PM (CDT)

look i don’t have an ipod, but i do have compact flash cards that i use for digital photography and other uses. i would love to leverage that into my portable music player.

putting my whole collection on a mini ipod wouldn’t happen anyway so i would usually be loading more stuff on everynow and then regardless. the longer battery life and the reuse of my CF cards however would get me to buy and the low price. If it is durable i could even take advantage of capacity increases and price drops on CF cards)

i would also like it to run on AAA batteries so i can use my NiMH rechargeables. then i wouldn’t have to worry about it dying and having to send it in.  (AAA batteries are as long as a CF card is wide)

Posted by sock_monkey on October 25, 2004 at 1:27 AM (CDT)

hi

just thought i’d add my 2 cents. I really want an ipod (doesnt everyone) but cant justify the $499 it costs in Australia. But i would happily pay $99 for a small flash ipod.

Now, about the arguement that you have to be able to carry your entire music library everywhere, well i already do. My entire music collection is on my ibook, which is always with me, so a 256/512mb ipod would be fine for me.

So, whether apple acknowledge this market or not, i’ll be buying a flash mp3 player this christmas. If apple release such a player, i’ll buy it for sure, if not, i geuss i’ll have to help decrease their market share.

Posted by iwantanipod! on October 25, 2004 at 4:39 AM (CDT)

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3