New York Senator proposes fine for ‘iPod oblivion’ | iLounge News

New York Senator proposes fine for ‘iPod oblivion’

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 7, 2007
News Categories: iPod

In an attempt to help stop pedestrian accidents, New York Senator Carl Kruger is proposing a law to ban iPods and cells phones while crossing city streets. Kruger’s legislation, which will be introduced in Albany today, will slap pedestrians with a $100 fine if they are caught crossing the street with their earbuds in—what Kruger calls iPod oblivion. “We’re talking about people walking sort of tuned in and in the process of being tuned in, tuned out,” Kruger said. “Tuned out to the world around them. They’re walking into speeding cars. They’re walking into buses. They’re walking into one another and it’s creating a number of fatalities that have been documented right here in the city.”

« Thinklabs electronic stethoscope records heart sounds to iPod

Mix: Amazon-TiVo, ARM iPhone, FCC letter, iPod giver »

Comments

only in america… god bless you. But do continue to lower the standards… maybe more of these politicians will come out and you can really “F***” yourselves.

Posted by Just me on February 7, 2007 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

Plus, can’t you score more points for hitting an iPodestrian?

Double if they’re carrying eggs!

Posted by stark23x on February 7, 2007 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

Jim, I think you score points for being the first person to coin the term “iPodestrian”. Kudos.

Posted by urbanslaughter on February 7, 2007 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

Darwin at work.  Since when was natural selection against the law?

Posted by fhsbando on February 7, 2007 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

I think we schould pay the government to carry us across the street personally, and wipe our butts for us.. ya know so we dont’ get our hands dirty. I believe it is the governments job to carry us through life, who needs original thoughts anyways. give me some pills and an iPod an i’m happy.

Posted by Andrew H on February 7, 2007 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

Trivia…
While the Urban Dictionary has a entry dated 19 Jan 05 for “podestrian”, this version of the term was first spotted in Stuff magazine in December 04 and reported in iLounge’s forums...
A “podestrian” is anyone who clearly displays their choice of audio player by wearing white headphones. No guarantee that they have an iPod, of course, and a great way of upping their social standing.
Another is “podometer” - anyone who involuntarily counts podestrians!

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on February 7, 2007 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

So american. You can have a gun in your pocket but no iPod on asphalt.

Vive la liberté du Nord.

Posted by Libre on February 7, 2007 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

Let’s not limit it to iPod, how about the company who started it all… Sony and their Walkman.  Let’s not stop there either…. we can fine people for singing in public, because it would cause people to look at them and not what they are doing.  Then we can fine people for just talking while walking and tag it as a moving violation.  Wow!!!  These people not looking where they are going were idiots way before they started using iPod.  Then some day we’ll all have blinkers on the back of our ##### so those same idiots walking near you, know where you’re about to turn.

Posted by JT on February 7, 2007 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

i love NYC, but seriously everytime i go back to NY i hate it more. it’s a police state. in sooo many ways. in the freezing cold, you go to pump gas and the little clip to hold the lever in has been dismantled (due to law). make a call while driving? ticket. taxes are astronomical. smoking ban. fatty foods ban. now you can’t wear an ipod? talk about nanny state…

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on February 7, 2007 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

I’ll admit, a couple of times I have been almost hit by a car while wearing my iPod, but it had nothing to do with the iPod. First one, if you stop because someone is waiting to cross the street, you should probably wait for them to cross the street rather then waiting until they step off the curb then gunning the car at them then slamming on the brakes. Second one, women please don’t try to apply make-up while driving. Especially if you’re making a left hand turn. I squeaked by with about three inches that time.

Posted by rainking187 on February 7, 2007 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

I don’t think we should fine people for walking out into the street while listening to iPods and not paying attention.  But, how about fining people for not taking their earbuds out when they’re paying for something, or talking on a cellphone in a restaurant?  Now, there’s some legislation I can get behind.

Posted by MellowTone41 on February 7, 2007 at 7:24 PM (PDT)

Why don’t you fine the deaf and the blind while you are at it. I kike to live dangerously and I close my eyes when I cross the street. Anyone have a problem with that.

Posted by Steve on February 7, 2007 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

an article about this I read stated that pedestrian deaths in nyc are at their lowest since 1990. maybe if half the people in new york have ipods half the accidents will involving ipod users.

Posted by jm on February 7, 2007 at 8:54 PM (PDT)

Haven’t people been successfully crossing streets since the invention of the Walkman in 1979? And if they’re going to fine pedestrians shouldn’t they also fine drivers for listening to the radio while operating a vehicle?

Posted by Scott on February 8, 2007 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

If I cross the street with an iPod I get fined by the government lawyers.  Now that I am an “iPodestrian” I will get sued by the Apple lawyers for copyright infringement.
I think I will go step in front of a bus now and let my estate lawyers deal with it.

What sort of bad puns can we make about the Big Apple imposing fines on iPod users…

Posted by SouthernGothic on February 10, 2007 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2