NewerTech and OWC announce new RoadTrip! FM Transmitter | iLounge News

NewerTech and OWC announce new RoadTrip! FM Transmitter

picNewer Technology (NewerTech) and Other World Computing (OWC) today announced a second model of the popular NewerTech RoadTrip!(TM) FM transmitter. The new “RoadTrip!” model allows users of Apple Computer’s iPod and other digital music players to listen to their favorite audio files through a car stereo system using the 87.7 FM radio frequency. The original “RoadTrip!” model broadcasts using the 107.7 FM frequency. Both are available at www.macsales.com for $19.99.

« Legalize file-sharing with taxes?

Costco to sell iPod mini bundle for $270 »

Comments

I posted this in forum the same day as the Griffin Roadtrip

Posted by SouthPaw in PV, NY on September 21, 2004 at 5:22 PM (CDT)

here’s a medal.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on September 21, 2004 at 5:36 PM (CDT)

Wow. One whole frequency for only $19.99! I’ll take 2!

Posted by H. Michael Karshis on September 21, 2004 at 6:05 PM (CDT)

I purchased the RoadTrip and returned it after using it for about 3 minutes.  There was quite a bit of static and when trying to use a charger at the same time, you could not even hear the music over the static.  Good Try But No Cigar.

Posted by Frank Buoniconti on September 21, 2004 at 6:28 PM (CDT)

lots of static… tryed many stations same problem… would not recomend

Posted by clay on September 22, 2004 at 12:34 AM (CDT)

“tryed many stations”........How did you do that it only has one?

Posted by ceddy45742 on September 22, 2004 at 4:03 AM (CDT)

ownd

Posted by dwayne on September 22, 2004 at 3:02 PM (CDT)

I ordered one of these just because it was cheap and worth a try. I must say it out performs the iTrip by 100%, and it outperforms the $90 Sonnet Podfreq by an equal amount. I own both.  As far as I’m concerned the iTrip and the Podfreq are unacceptable as a way to listen to your iPod in the car.The Roadtrip totally blocks out a strong station right next door to the 88.7 frequency in the area I live, where as the iTrip and Podfreq are totally useless on this frequency. The downside is you are tied to a cigarette lighter socket. I plugged it into one car and started the car. I then went to my other two cars parked 10 and 20 feet away. Each picked up an equally good signal even with the engine running.

My XM Roady uses a similar cigar lighter powered transmitter and it works equally as well as this one. This leads me to believe the limitations on power output of the FM transmitters now on the market are tied to power consumption of the transmitter rather than any FCC regulations. Either that or this transmitter is actually illegal. It makes sense to me. What good would a transmitter that uses the iPod battery be, if it killed the batttery in an hour?

Posted by ceddy45742 on September 23, 2004 at 5:15 PM (CDT)

ceddy, how is the sound on it?  Right now I have a belkin tape adaptor and I have to say it is far too noisy to enjoy my music (the tape clunking that is).  I had an iTrip but took it back because of bleed over and sub par sound, but I have an 2004 Acura TL so my options are limited.  Any help is appreciated.

Posted by Mike on October 8, 2004 at 12:36 PM (CDT)

This is by far the best car adapter for the iPod ever made.

- It is cheap.

-It totally blocks out a strong radio signal on 87.7 in cities such as Chicago and New York, which have a lot of strong signal radio stations.

- The sound quality is awesome

- It’s as easy to setup and use as a Mac Classic running System 6.0.7!!!!

- Did I mention it was cheap?!!!

Posted by Raven Lee on October 9, 2004 at 3:28 AM (CDT)

Oh, forgot to include a link. Sorry.

Check out http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/hardwareandnews/ipodaccessories/iPodTransTest.mp3 for an mp3 format taped shootout between some of the leading brands. This is very impressive.

Posted by Raven Lee on October 9, 2004 at 3:30 AM (CDT)