Newsweek highlights new 4G iPod features | iLounge News

Newsweek highlights new 4G iPod features

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Sunday, July 18, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Newsweek has revealed some details on the upcoming new iPod in its “advance peek” article. The fourth generation iPod has a new “click wheel” similar to the iPod mini, “where the controls are placed on the compass points of the circular touchpad that lets you scroll through menus.” Other new features include: a more efficent menu - “‘Music’ is a first-level entry, and now a single click initiates the popular technique of shuffling your library for playback.”; you can create mulitple on-the-go playlists and delete on-the-go playlists; listen to audio books or music “at normal speed, slower or 25 percent faster”; the battery is rated for 12 hours of power, a 50% increase; and new lower prices - 40GB for $399, 20GB for $299, and the 15GB has been dropped. The new iPod is also about one millimeter thinner than previous models, and contrary to rumors there are no new colors being offered except classic white.

« Free on iTunes: 9/11 Commission Hearings

Update: Apple unveils newest generation iPod »

Comments

Posted by Prashant on July 18, 2004 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

whoa…. 12 hours
hmm interesting!

Posted by milamber in glasgow, scotland, uk on July 18, 2004 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

hmm…so 12 hours probably means 10 or 10 1/2 realistically, right? still a bit better than 6 or 6 1/2 with 3G iPods.

creating multiple on-the-go playsits is pretty cool, as is deleting playlists and playlist items.

it would be really nice if these new features made it into a firmware upgrade…but as with the 3G’s firmware not being shifted back to older iPods, this seems unlikely…

Posted by biznotch on July 18, 2004 at 6:59 AM (PDT)

There are other features:

TMO Reports - New iPod Features: 12 Hour Battery, Lower Prices; Goodbye 15GB

by Brad Gibson, 7:00 AM CDT, July 18th, 2004

Further details of the new white iPod, to be officially announced by Apple Monday, have surfaced through a sidebar story accompanying Newsweek magazines feature article on Apple CEO Steve Jobs and the iPod phenomenon.

Key features of the new iPod are:

- 50% improvement in battery life to 12 hours from the current eight through better power conservation.

- A click wheel identical in design and functionality to that of the iPod mini

- A thinner iPod by one millimeter.

- More efficient menus, so there’s less thumbing through to get to content.

- New ability to create multiple playlists and delete songs from them.

- Variable speed control to listen to content faster or slower.

- No new hard drive sizes, but lower prices. The 20GB will now cost US$299 from $399 and the 40GB model will cost $399 from $499. The 15GB is being phased out.

Posted by pkradd on July 18, 2004 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

—I second on that, but they probably won’t release it for free though. Cost / Profit for hardware is relatively low (compared to software development these days) and they’ll probably milk more $$ from selling the complete package instead :(

Posted by kcheng on July 18, 2004 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

I’d expect a 60gb not to long after though, remember Toshiba’s loose tongue?

12hrs is certainly a nice boost. 15+ would have been golden, but to get 12hrs out of a battery with the same capacity as before is very good. It obviously is a lot more efficient with it’s power consumption.

I’ve only had my 15gb for a year, and I’m now itching again. Though I’d probably wait till at least the 60gb version hits.

Now what’s important - is the dock connector the same (and the dock and remote too?)

Posted by Nathan on July 18, 2004 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

hopefully this hasn’t been mentioned yet, but the so called “lower” prices is total BS.

as reported on newsweek and thinksecret… “The 40GB unit will ship for $399 and the 20GB model will sell for $299, a $100 reduction in price. Apple is no longer selling a 15GB model.”

the $500 price version will be the 60gb unit later this year. the new ipods are the exact same prices. if i was you, i would simply wait for the 60gb unit to drop than to think i’m actually saving any cash by buying a new one this week!

now, a real drop in price would be the 60gb for $400, 40gb for $300, and 20gb for $200. iPod mini well… $150/$100 from $250. now THAT is a saving… if you take it even further… the joke is really on apple, because everyone used the 15gb ipod to compare the size to the ipod mini when it launched and now with the new “price drops” people should really think about the new additional 5gb for the same $300 price! the new minis definitely need to be at least 10gb before i ever dream about owning one.

besides the extended battery life (which is a HUGE plus, but I’ve got used to it) and the size adjustment w/ scroll whell (big deal), well i’m a substance fan myself and honestly don’t see a good reason just yet to shell another half grand for a new ipod. i just may with th 60gb unit, but i’m not holding my breath. (besides, we’ll all get the new features with the latest firmware upgrade, so… they aren’t really tooting my horn all too much.)

just my 2 cents…

Posted by evansls on July 18, 2004 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Don’t know what evansis is smoking. 40GB was $499, is now $399. That is a price drop, no matter what you are inhaling.

I bought a 5 GB when they dropped it to $299 a long while back. Now for that same $299, I can get 20 GB. A 4X improvement in storage, a slimmer package, and a longer battery. That is some nice improvement.

Posted by wolfpacker on July 18, 2004 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

You make a point, evansls, but people want the minis regardless. You tell someone ‘but you can get X amount of gigs extra by purchasing the bigger model, and people will say: “hu?”. People want cool looking things, and that’s what the mini is. Apple could probably sell the 20gig for the same price as the mini and they would STILL fly off the shelves. Personally, I’d rather have the extra space, but not everyone feel the same way.

Oh yeah, and YAY to extra battery life!

.narco

Posted by narco in Burbank on July 18, 2004 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

the price has only dropped, because of new capacity drives. there is a 60gb version coming out, so they HAVE to drop prices… they aren’t going to offer 40gb & 60gb drive at the same price, are they? it’s not a savings… you might as wait 5 years and get an ipod that can only 100gbs for $300… see what i’m saying?

if it was a real legit price drop it would be the following:

mini = $100
20gb = $200
40gb = $300
60gb = $400

it’s a marketing ploy. now that the 20gb ipod is $300 and is nearly the same size and look as the MINI not to mention it’s like 4 times the capacity size… picking up a mini is insane if you’re a smart shopper anyway…

Posted by evansls on July 18, 2004 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

“it’s a marketing ploy.” -evansls

woah man, you cracked the code!!!!!!

Isn’t that the one thing Apple has excelled at? Marketing ploys?

I just happens that the product behind the ploy is their best seller finally.

Posted by regalbegal on July 18, 2004 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

I could not be happier with this release.

Doing so would lose touch with that which has made the iPod popular:  A device tailored toward one primary purpose, that accomplishes it with the easiest possible interface.

Hooray to Apple for evolution-ing, not revolution-ing.  Hooray to Apple for taking the safe road, since they were doing *phenomenal.*  I’ll be in line for a 40GB.  (My 15gb is getting *very* full, but I don’t feel the need to wait for the $499 60GB).

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on July 18, 2004 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

I’m actually waiting for a price increase before I buy.  So, if I just bought a 20 gig last week for 399 and I could have waited a week to get a 20 gig for 299 I should be enthused since the price remained the same.  That is like a 30% savings that’s a pretty good price drop.  My 15G is just 15 months old and I’m still going to get the new 4G… because I want to.  The mini is cool looking but I like the 4G a bit more, its my style…i just hope its not all white that it still has a silver/brushed metal back.

Posted by roopert on July 18, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

I just hope that the 3G 20GB drops to $249 this week so I can finally afford one. I already have a MINI but for the same price, I would rather have the 20GB.
cant wait.

Posted by blahzay on July 18, 2004 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

Prashant said: “I’ll hope that most of those features are just firmware upgrades which will be available to the 3rd gen….”

Considering that they did not do this for 1st and 2nd Gen iPods (other than minor compatibility fixes)... do you honestly think they will do it this time?! Me thinks you are on the high seas without a paddle on this one. wink

Posted by dede124 on July 18, 2004 at 9:52 AM (PDT)

Where it stands right now, the 3G is plenty good for me. If I find out that the new battery life is 12 hours, and they have other features not yet mentioned, like crossfade playback. Those two things would get me looking to the 4G seriously. But for now, i’ll be just fine on an iPod that’s less than a year old (mine, not the generation).
The biggest let down, on the new 4G thus far for me is lack of wifi, or bluetooth.

Posted by jonyem in Port Angeles, Washington on July 18, 2004 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

Man, you guys are dreaming! A mini for $99? A 20gig for $249? Everyone wants the Mercedes for Volkswagen prices. As I said before, they could mark the mini and the 20gig at the same price, and the mini would still (probably) outsell the 20gig.

Posted by narco in Burbank on July 18, 2004 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

“My greatest fear was that Apple would fall into the trap of feature-bloating… color, video, etc. “

I agree.

Posted by Mark on July 18, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

The extended battery life and lower price are definitely good.  Even the click wheel is appealing as I tend to always have problems w/ the buttons on my 3G….What I want to know is if they were able to improve sound quality of the player.

Improved sound quality with everything else they’ve mentioned, and I’m sold…

Posted by styles on July 18, 2004 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Oh yeah…and in terms of firmware…don’t get your hopes up…they’ve only updated like what, twice for the 3G’s? And those weren’t backward’s compatible w/ the 2g’s.  I see no reason for them to do it now either…

Posted by styles on July 18, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >