Newsweek highlights new 4G iPod features | iLounge News

Newsweek highlights new 4G iPod features

Newsweek has revealed some details on the upcoming new iPod in its “advance peek” article. The fourth generation iPod has a new “click wheel” similar to the iPod mini, “where the controls are placed on the compass points of the circular touchpad that lets you scroll through menus.” Other new features include: a more efficent menu - “‘Music’ is a first-level entry, and now a single click initiates the popular technique of shuffling your library for playback.”; you can create mulitple on-the-go playlists and delete on-the-go playlists; listen to audio books or music “at normal speed, slower or 25 percent faster”; the battery is rated for 12 hours of power, a 50% increase; and new lower prices - 40GB for $399, 20GB for $299, and the 15GB has been dropped. The new iPod is also about one millimeter thinner than previous models, and contrary to rumors there are no new colors being offered except classic white.

« Free on iTunes: 9/11 Commission Hearings

Update: Apple unveils newest generation iPod »

Comments

unfortunatly this means that as i hoped the battery in the 3g cant be replaced with the new one becase its the power conservationin the new one not a bigger battery

Posted by psadle on July 18, 2004 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

Maybe we’ll learn more on Monday, but I doubt the 50% increased battery life is only accomplished by software. I would assume Apple has imporoved upon the mechanics and maybe the system chips as well to gain the 50% increase. So all of us G3ers are stuck (Not that I mind though).

Posted by starflyer on July 18, 2004 at 1:33 PM (CDT)

anybody have any good ideas on how to make a 3rdGen appear dead before the eyes of a BestBuy employee?

*rolls eyes*

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on July 18, 2004 at 2:02 PM (CDT)

I would assume that for the 4G’s, Apple is using the same battery from the 3G’s but to increase the battery life they are increasing the cache.

They are probably increasing it to 64MB from 32MB.

The main problem with this is that battery life will still suck as much as the 3G’s if you load up songs constantly rather than leaving the iPod alone.

Posted by br- on July 18, 2004 at 2:18 PM (CDT)

Looks good, I too am glad the Ipod has stayed a musicplayrer, no videostuff and so.
Glad with the batterylife, thoug I still think at 12 hours (10 in realitiy?) it’s still to low. But not critically anymore (I often make trips and listen to music for 8-10 hours nonstop).

What I wonder is how it will look, Hard to tell from the picture, but if the case is a mixture of white plastic and metal, it might mesh up the looks and that would mean loosing one of its unique selling points.
I secretly hoped for an all-metal case like the mini’s.

Posted by dura on July 18, 2004 at 2:57 PM (CDT)

how many people are actually going to buy a new ipod just because of software/firmware improvements? they should really make the updates available to previous generation ipods. who wants to spend $400 on something that will be obsolete is six months?

Posted by travis on July 18, 2004 at 3:08 PM (CDT)

Obsolete in 6 months?  I don’t know what you’re smoking, but I’m sure if you buy the new 40GB iPod for $399 it will still play your music just fine 6 months from now…

Posted by JB on July 18, 2004 at 3:14 PM (CDT)

If I buy a 40GB 3G iPod today it will cost me $499.  If I wait until tomorrow for the 40GB 4G model it will cost me $399.  I’d call that a $100 price drop no matter how you slice it…

Posted by Rob on July 18, 2004 at 3:17 PM (CDT)

People will whine about the new software not working with the 3g’s but they’ll get over it. I bought a 2g the day it came out and was pissed at first when I heard that the new 3g software wouldn’t work with mine but I look back now and wonder why I was so angry. My iPod still works great too this day two years later and I that’s all I ask of it.

Posted by Weasel on July 18, 2004 at 3:30 PM (CDT)

Btw, I wonder if the HP iPod’s will be 3g’s of 4g’s

Posted by Weasel on July 18, 2004 at 3:33 PM (CDT)

Seems like it should be 4G…maybe that’s way HP hadn’t come out with it yet.

Posted by adrenaline on July 18, 2004 at 3:38 PM (CDT)

So are they just releasing information on it on Monday?  I havn’t seen when they are going to start selling them.

Posted by Zxen on July 18, 2004 at 3:48 PM (CDT)

HP’s iPod is defenitely going to be a 3G. It doesn’t make sense to have a cheaper iPod with all the same features of a 4G (including the click wheel) at a cheaper price. HP hasn’t come out with their iPod yet because it’s a big marketing thing.
I like the new iPod but won’t get a new one. Apple doesn’t aim their stuff to make iPod owners go out and buy the new one. Apple probably already sees that their iPod is an evolution of design and a big revolution. I can’t wait till it comes out. It’s always fun trying out Apple products.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on July 18, 2004 at 4:47 PM (CDT)

Sorry I meant to say: ‘sees that their iPod is an evolution of design and NOT a big revolution.’

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on July 18, 2004 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

Heh. HP’s is going to be a 4G. They are waiting for Apple to announce it first.

Posted by br- on July 18, 2004 at 5:58 PM (CDT)

k this sucks, i am going to be so jealous of the 4th gens, 12 hours!!! that rocks, and im stuck with 50% less…...

Posted by kespodder on July 18, 2004 at 6:36 PM (CDT)

i think they HP ipod wil be 3G because i was watching the keynote for HP and when she revealed it, it was a casted blue 3G ipod…

go look it up in CNET…

Posted by jared on July 18, 2004 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

So there announicing it tommrow, but how long till relase? Like, when they announced the 3g’s, how long did it take for them to come out?

Posted by Matt on July 18, 2004 at 6:48 PM (CDT)

The picture in the article looks far better than the one in the previous News Post.

Later, TC

Posted by supercarrot900 on July 18, 2004 at 6:55 PM (CDT)

I don’t know i think apple will learn from the past, remember when they had 10 then 15 the 30gigs and then they changed it to 10 20 and 40, seeing as they are having a 20 then a 40 gig model i think the next step up would be an 80 gb ipod. Good thing i wasn’t able to get my hands on a mini because with the better battery life and 16 gig more storage for $50 im getting me a 20gb 4th generation iPod

Posted by Zer0cool in Cold City AntArctica on July 18, 2004 at 8:03 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >