Newsweek, USA Today: iPhone not perfect, but hype-worthy
In additional reviews published today, Newsweek’s Steven Levy and USA Today’s Edward C. Baig praised Apple’s iPhone as a lust-worthy, fun, and impressive new device. Levy described the device as “the rare convergence device where things actually converge,” praising everything from its packaging to its easy setup, “stunning 3.5-inch display,” and Internet features. He notes that you can “merge up to five conversations into a conference,” and cites the web browsing experience as iPhone’s best feature. However, Levy cited the unit’s EDGE speed, 200-message SMS limitation, and e-mail glitches as problems, and suggested that it wasn’t a replacement iPod for many types of users. “In the future—when the iPhone has more applications and offers more performance, with a lower price—buyers will find even more value. So smart consumers may well wait for that day. But meanwhile they can only look with envy” as others are enjoying the phone.
Baig rated the iPhone 3.5 out of 4, praising the widescreen iPod and Cover Flow features, the simplicity of the phone and visual voicemail, and the “fun” of using the keyboard and interface once you get used to them. He knocked the data speeds on EDGE, the limited storage capacity, and pricing, as well as some of the device’s limitations, such as its inability to use iTunes music as ringtones and its lack of a replaceable battery. Baig also noted that music playback once locked up in an endless loop, requiring a restart, and noted his displeasure that old earphones he used couldn’t work with iPhone, and that stereo Bluetooth wireless audio is not supported.
- Twitter CEO hints at larger Spotlight integration
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- YouTube app won’t work on older Apple TVs, versions of iOS starting in May
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Apple TV adds Shomi, CraveTV channels in Canada
- Apple TV adds CBS Sports, USA Now channels
- GE’s intelligent LED lightbulbs will work with HomeKit
- Apple releases band design guidelines for Apple Watch
- New Apple TV remote to have touchpad
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Limited Apple Watch supplies due to faulty taptic engine?
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?