Next Apple TV to sell for $99, be iPhone OS-based? | iLounge News

Next Apple TV to sell for $99, be iPhone OS-based?

The next Apple TV will be based on the iPhone’s operating system and will sell for $99, according to a new report. Citing an anonymous tip which was confirmed by a source “very close to Apple,” Engadget reports that the next Apple TV will share its architecture with the fourth-generation iPhone, including an A4 CPU and a limited amount of storage—16GB, according to the report—while offering full 1080p HD output. The report also claims that the device will be “quite small” and will feature only a power socket and video output for ports, having been described by some as “an iPhone without a screen.” The device is said to be focused on cloud-based storage, with an option to use a Time Capsule as on-site external storage, and while no definitive word was provided as to whether the device will utilize the App Store and its application library, Engadget speculates that such a move would make sense. Finally, the report claims that the new Apple TV won’t be unveiled at WWDC, but that development on the device is “full steam ahead.”

« iLounge Weekly on its way, sign up today

AT&T claims 40% of iPhone sales to enterprise »

Comments

This sounds even more pointless than the current Apple TV… I hope Steve Jobs proves me wrong.

Posted by Herr Doktor on May 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM (CDT)

Apple can start giving them away, and I still won’t get one.  “Pointless” is spot on.

Posted by Downing on May 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM (CDT)

+1 on pointless.

Don’t make it smaller, add feature people want.  If they added a blu-ray player, Netflix, and Hulu, these things would be selling a heck of a lot better, IMHO.

Posted by hikernks on May 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM (CDT)

Sounds good to me
I just want an easy way to play my ripped dvds on my TV without buying a major new gadget and at the cheapest possible cost without having to wire up my computer’s hard drive to the TV.

That way I can stick the originals in storage and have my movies ready to be put on an iPhone/iPad for trips or TV in the home. Indeed I think I would stop bothering to go to shops and buy BluRay quality films from iTunes instead as and when I want to.

Posted by Leo on May 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM (CDT)

@hikernks

Adding a bluray player to Apple TV would be like putting a CD player in an iPod.  Not gonna happen.

Posted by Adam on May 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM (CDT)

I’d really have to see the product before rendering a final judgment.

I have no problems with the Apple TV in its current incarnation, but I was thinking that it lacked something, something I couldn’t put my finger on.

My biggest issue with what’s being rumored is the lack of local storage since I own an Airport Extreme and not a Time Machine. I liked the idea of having all of my media that I can just pop this unit in my bag and take in anywhere to watch my content.

Hopefully they’ll announce this sooner than later—perhaps at WWDC?

Posted by cxc273 on May 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM (CDT)

yeah, i have to agree w/ commentor herr doktor.
i want an apple tv that works independently of my macbook or imac. i had to rebuy two and half men as i couldn’t get the damn episodes to stream! plus even when they do you have to shut off the sleep on your mac or it will stop playing your show or movie. i want to store all my dvds on it so i think we need   1TB or 2 TB storage. the cloud thing sounds all well and good but let me go on record of saying it won’t be a mainstream reality until 2015-17.

apps would be cool but please give us a form factor of at least a time capsule.

while i’m on a rant, i wish i could send all my dvds to the film companies for digital copies of my stuff.

i still think apple would be wise to license the itunes store for use on either or both Wii and Xbox 360. Sony Ps3 seems set with their store.

Posted by aw29 on May 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM (CDT)

Please don’t tell me its going to be WiFi only and they are removing the ethernet port.

Posted by Dale on May 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM (CDT)

Why doesn’t everyone just settle down on this until we get closer to a launch w/ more substantive details?! You’re sweating over vaporware for now.

Posted by D9 on May 28, 2010 at 9:28 PM (CDT)

I’m pretty happy with appletv as it is, although I only have the 40gb version.

Personally, I’m not interested in anything that’s cloud-based. I’d rather have my stuff on my stuff, if you get my drift.

Posted by Dick Bacon on May 29, 2010 at 12:42 AM (CDT)

As others have said, it’s not the price or form factor that have made Apple TV the middling failure it is. It’s the functionality. Add more codec support so I cam play my own stuff without transcoding. Add ripped DVD playback. Add FLASh playback from CBS, ABC and yes Hulu. An App Store model might be a decent substitute for that. Add apps like iPad games and a remote with a trackpad. Let me play PvZ on the big screen. Integrate w my iPhone so I can throw music or photos up on the TV. etc.

Posted by Fanfoot on May 29, 2010 at 2:23 AM (CDT)

Apple TV pointless?!?  They work great.  Image quality is top shelf.

Posted by Mountain Troll on May 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

Personally, I find the concept interesting; it sounds a lot like Boxee, in fact; Only, the producers would be responsible for their own apps. With ABC and others already making video players for the iPad, Netflix supporting Apple products, and the iTunes store being a preeminent place to rent & purchase video content, there seems to be natural progression already in place to present a cloud-based platform. At only $100, a pop, I’d be interested in seeing how apple’s seeking to create an entertainment ecosystem for the entire house.

Posted by Derek on May 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM (CDT)