Next generation iPod does TiVo? | iLounge News

Next generation iPod does TiVo?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, July 29, 2003
News Categories: iPod

Michael Sippey of ‘stating the obvious’ weblog has posted an excerpt from a concept document proposing several new features to be added to next generation iPods.

“The iPod and Tivo share more than a few characteristics: they both enable the user to manage and experience entertainment content, they both are made possible by the ever-decreasing costs of local storage, and they both share a similar interface metaphor.  But to date we’ve missed out on an opportunity that Tivo takes advantage of brilliantly:  the ability to provide rotating promotional content and messaging as a component of the menuing system.”

Jason Kottke’s weblog, Kotte.org Undesign has posted a rebuttal to the concept proposals, and said, “If Apple is pushing me advertisements and marketing which I can’t opt out of and are draining *my* battery while I look at them and taking up *my* hard drive space, is my iPod really mine or is it Apple’s?”

« Apple 20GB iPod for $279

30GB iPod $419 and 15GB iPod $329 - Today Only »

Comments

Advertisements on an iPod???

Damn idiot.  I agree with Jason Kottke.

THE DIFFERENCE IS… I DON’T *Subscribe* TO MY IPOD.  wink

lol

Posted by azdude_15gb on July 29, 2003 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

ads on an ipod?  what a surprise that someone thought of that…  soon we will be seeing ads on cell phones (imagine a brand ‘jingle’ as your new ringtone), and cell phones are quite so different from ipods.  ads will be everywhere and they will probably offer discounts if you get the ad enabled model.  yea this all sucks, but this sort of thing *is* the natural progression of capitalism.

Posted by wes on July 29, 2003 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

I don’t think this is a good idea at all. I also doubt Apple will do this as it smacks of cheap marketing practices. Coming to think of it, Apple will not do this because it is marketing, period.
___________________________
iPod and other things: http://www.sebimeyer.com

Posted by Sebastian Meyer on July 29, 2003 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

In Japan these high-tech cell phones already get ads all the time—via junk email.  I’m getting them at a rate of 5-10 per day now.  If the iPod ever gets connected to the internet in a future version (which I’m sure it will), you can bet that some form of ads, even if it’s only junk email, will most certainly appear.  Maybe your best bet is to hang on to that 1.0 ipod!

Posted by TheMantis on July 29, 2003 at 9:51 PM (PDT)

Probably wouln’t be too bad if they sold “ad supported” ipods for $100/ea.

Posted by jas on July 30, 2003 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

Ad’s are already happening here in US on phones.  AT&T recently spammed me about some contest via text messaging.

Jerks

Posted by gilatrout on July 30, 2003 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

If iSynch dumps ads, iSynch is DOA if iTunes dumps ads, people will use other tools to migrate their MP3’s to their iPod.  So long as the iPod can be mounted, there will never be ads on my iPod.  Asshat idea.

Posted by gilatrout on July 30, 2003 at 5:41 PM (PDT)

Well hopefully Apple isn’t that dumb to treat it’s users like other companies do.

That damned ICQ put 4(!!!!!!!!!!!) links to AOL broadband on my computer when I completed the mandatory upgrade.

One on the desktop, one in the favourites, one at the top of my startmenu programs, and one in the links folder of the favourites menu. And more??

Though I wouldn’t touch AOL in the first place, this turns me against them even more. How lame can AOL get??????

Posted by spirit on July 31, 2003 at 4:33 PM (PDT)