Next iPod nano to sport aluminum enclosure? | iLounge News

Next iPod nano to sport aluminum enclosure?

image

Apple plans to use an iPod mini-like aluminum casing on the next generation iPod nano, according a report by AppleInsider. In an effort to cut down on scratching, Apple has been “experimenting with aluminum anodized enclosures similar to those used in the company’s iPod mini,” the site claims. Apple has reportedly “committed to the transition away from the nano’s polycarbonate-coated shell and towards aluminum enclosures.” AppleInsider says the new casing is expected to debut in “color variations similar to those used with the iPod mini.”

« Analyst: New iPod nano due Q4 with magnesium casing

Album sales down, but music downloads soar »

Comments

I really, really hope they do this. I’m already going to pick one up to replace my 4GB, so this would just be icing on the cake. grin

Posted by Rob in Memphis on July 10, 2006 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

I don’t doubt it at all. Apple needs more then video to revive the nano and get people to make a second purchase

Posted by Jonathan Keim on July 10, 2006 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

As long as there is no size increase, and one of the colours offered is annodised black, I may be tempted to get another nano…

Posted by Piarco75 on July 10, 2006 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

That would be cool if Apple did this. IMO the Nano is so thin and flimsy-feeling that it almost has a cheap feel to it. I always thought the Mini had a good combination of shape and size, and the aluminum enclosure gave it a more durable feel.

Posted by fondy44 on July 10, 2006 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

This sounds like a good idea.  Just hope that they do not add video, make the nano too big, or too expensive.  What I really want them to do is remake the shuffle.

Posted by jan on July 10, 2006 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

I don’t know about the rest of you…I actually enjoy the fact that the nano LOOKS like a small iPod and not like something else. I don’t think the nano feels cheap at all…And I would much prefer Apple simply taking more care in developing a more scratch resistant coating for the face of their products. This isn’t just a problem in the nano line. it’s also an issue on the video iPods and the iBook/Macbook lines.

Posted by powerbook17 on July 10, 2006 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

Is it just me or was the 1G nano more scratch resistance. if so what did they change on that version

Posted by freddie the ipod on July 10, 2006 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

i think that apple really messed up when they introduced the ipod nana. the ipod mini was awesome and all they had to do was make it thinner and give it a color screen and it would be perfect, also make it hold more music. but instead they made the nano, i hate it so much. the screen is even smaller than the mini….i hate it so much. and its battery life sucks too. all i know is that apple better make the nano like the mini and use the same colors, and maybe introduce some new colors. IPOD MINI ROCKS~

Posted by BRAD BARRETT on July 10, 2006 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

A magnesium coating is all well and good but IMO it doesn’t mean squat if the screen can still get scratched just as easily.

Posted by bjc on July 10, 2006 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

Yes! Unfortunately, the downside is it might not be as thin as the current nano. However, if there is going to be a size increase, might as well put a bigger battery for longer battery life.

As for the screen, you can always use a screen protector. With the current nano, not only you need a screen protector, but a skin for the whole unit to prevent scratches.

Posted by pika2000 on July 10, 2006 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

Finally they think about putting the nano in a mini feel. Why couldn’t they just have made the mini in color screen or something…. prolly woulda sold a lot of them….

Posted by Krn iPod on July 10, 2006 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

hmm so apple finally realizes their mistake and listens to us saying that the ipod nano was a peice of crap. i would be so happy to know that the greatest ipod ever in my opinion the mini will come back with scratch resistant, colour and bigger battery plus more colours besides grey or blue all the other colours were quite feminine

Posted by aaron on July 10, 2006 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

If they used aluminum casing, you wouldn’t get that nice chrome finish. It would be kind of dull colored.

What would be great though is if the new ipods use color changing paints by heat. Alsa Corporation have been painting lots of things from cars to cell phones with their paint. I wouldn’t be surprised if they painted an ipod. Im pretty sure they already have. I haven’t checked their website in a while.

But if them and Apple worked together, you would have the most amazing ipods. Check their website.

Posted by Jonathan on July 10, 2006 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

Great news for people whose nanos looked like crap after a few weeks, but even better that Apple is finally realizing that they should be playful with their smaller players like they were with the mini.  The nano right now is too much of an iPod clone—it’s pretty, but there’s none of the creativity there that made the mini so much fun.

Posted by M. le Pod on July 10, 2006 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

One thing about the Minis though.  My Silver one has a little dent in the corner of the top edge.  As a result, the white plastic flat edge is warped.

So when I try to lock or unlock the controls, it doesn’t always work.

I like how the top edge is seamlessly a part of the back on the 5G (and presumably the Nano).

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on July 10, 2006 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

fondy44 has it all right.  just wanted to agree with you…this is basically a revamped mini instead of a new nano.  The nano could never be what the mini is, even w/photos and upgrades!  This is one of the best days of my life—-hope they have orange!

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on July 10, 2006 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

Samsung’s mp3 players already have this sort of design, so not very pioneering of Apple to do this. Is there any problem with them just releasing a Nano/5G Video with replaceable, clip-on fascia, or would they be too worried about 3rd party manufacturers. There are still a lot of people that would pay for official fascia direct from Apple.

Posted by chris jones on July 11, 2006 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

I’ll be glad if Apple really revamps mini
...the nano is too vagile to me
Mino=color screen, size increases like the mini had, aluminum and COLOR…black/white is alil boring now…silver, orange, red, yellow and bring back the blue :D

Posted by joe on July 11, 2006 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

No love for the nano?  Sure, mine scratched a little, but I got a sweet case from Tunewear and it’s now by far my favorite iPod (and I’ve had three before).  Love the size, the battery life WAS great when I got it, and I think it is one sturdy little bugger.  Wouldn’t want it any bigger.

Posted by amighty on July 12, 2006 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

i also agree that they should either do this or, bring back the ipod mini with video capabilities and with a larger screen.  but if not, the ipod nano with a new look and durability of a mini would be sweet. d =

Posted by fly_j_guy on July 12, 2006 at 10:37 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >