Nielsen: iPhone, BlackBerry tied at top of smartphone market
According to October 2010 data released today by The Nielsen Company, Apple’s iPhone and Research In Motion’s BlackBerry are in a statistical dead heat for the lead in the U.S. smartphone market. The iPhone has a slight edge, with 27.9 percent of the market compared to BlackBerry’s 27.4 percent; Google’s Android OS sits in third with 22.7 percent. Both iPhone and Android hold a significant lead when it comes to the most desired smartphone operating system, with 30 percent of mobile users planning to upgrade to a smartphone in the next year choosing iPhone and 28 percent choosing Android, while only 13 percent said they were most likely to purchase a BlackBerry. Broken down further, women were more likely to choose an iPhone over an Android device, 30.9 percent to 22.8 percent, while men were more likely to choose Android, with Google’s OS accounting for 32.6 percent of responses, compared to 28.6 percent for iPhone. iPhone also held an edge in the 18-24, 25-34, and 55+ age groups, and was more desirable to current smartphone owners than owners of featurephones.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Details of Apple Watch’s heart monitor, limitations released
- Apple releases its 2015 Environmental Responsibility Report
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?