Nielsen//NetRatings: iTunes usage doubles in 2006 | iLounge News

Nielsen//NetRatings: iTunes usage doubles in 2006

iTunes usage nearly doubled in 2006, based on data from Nielsen//NetRatings. According to figures, the number of unique iTunes users grew by 47.5% last year. During the same time, RealPlayer users grew by 9.1%, QuickTime by 8.7%, and Windows Media Player grew by 2.0%. “At current growth rates, iTunes should pass RealPlayer in unique users by the second quarter of 2007,” reports WebSiteOptimization.com. “Apple should be whistling a happy tune this year. While iTunes continues to show strong double-digit growth rates, Windows Media Player growth appeared to slow over the past year.”

« Strong iPod sales expected for Apple’s March quarter

DLO ships updated HomeDock Deluxe »

Comments

I can’t believe people still use RealPlayer. probably the same people still using windows 98.

Posted by EM on February 28, 2007 at 2:50 PM (CST)

I happen to like RealPlayer very much.  It has many features that iTunes does not.  Of course, these days the only place I use it is is on my work PC.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on February 28, 2007 at 3:51 PM (CST)

I’m really not surprised at the surge…

Posted by Kevin on February 28, 2007 at 3:56 PM (CST)

Galley’s right. My brother loves RealPlayer. He has a Creative Zen Vision:M and it works really well with it. I think one way for Apple to completely almost rid of their compettion would be to offer a subscription, for music that is.
Another thing is, how many of those people do you think have PCs instead of Macs? I’d say quite a lot. So, saying that majority of computer users who already have Windows Media Player on their PCs, why would they need to download it? I believe that many people still have Windows Media Player 10 and aren’t wanting to upgrade to 11 yet. That’s probably why Windows Meida Player is behind in download rates.
One other thing, can anyone tell me if they’re referring to Quicktime Pro or just plain Quicktime Player because I thought that Quicktime was automatically included with the iTunes download. So shouldn’t the rates be about the same?

Posted by doompod on February 28, 2007 at 4:47 PM (CST)

Err, how can growth of nearly 50% be described as “nearly double”? A growth of 100% would be required to double usage.

Posted by cliveski on March 1, 2007 at 7:58 AM (CST)

Well if the growth last year was 25% and this year its a 50% increase then to me that would be double…

Posted by Adgatez on March 1, 2007 at 8:36 AM (CST)

I agree that would be double the growth, but the article states double the usage. The usage is an absolute measure and so 100% growth is required to double it.

Posted by cliveski on March 1, 2007 at 9:23 AM (CST)

Adgatez

cliveski is quite correct.

You are making up numbers to cover up the fact that Mr. Angell is obviously mathematically challenged.  Your double would mean this year’s increase was twice last year’s increase - but this year’s increase is still only 50% which does not double the number of users it’s 1.5 times the previous year.

This is the second article this week he’s misinterpreted numbers when summarizing an article.

doompod - I was wondering how they separate Quicktime users from iTunes users as well - once again another article with meaningless numbers….

Posted by WhoCares on March 1, 2007 at 9:24 AM (CST)

WhoCares,

I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out

Posted by Adgatez on March 1, 2007 at 3:12 PM (CST)