Nike, Apple partner to launch Nike+iPod global products | iLounge News

Nike, Apple partner to launch Nike+iPod global products

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2006
News Categories: iPod

image

Nike and Apple have teamed up to launch a new line of Nike+iPod products. The two companies today announced the first product developed through the partnership—the Nike+iPod Sport Kit, a wireless system that allows Nike+ footwear to connect to an iPod nano to store information on time, distance, calories burned and pace. The kit provides real-time audible feedback through headphones, and includes an in-shoe sensor and a small receiver that attaches to the dock connector of the iPod. The new Nike+ Air Zoom Moire is the first footwear designed to work with the kit. The Nike+iPod Sport Kit will be available “within 60 days” for a retail price of $29.

imageNike plans to make several of its current footwear styles Nike+ ready, and said that other specially designed Nike apparel, including jackets, tops, shorts and an iPod nano armband, will be offered to “bring together the Nike+iPod experience with waterproof pockets that accommodate iPod nano and are designed to make it easy to operate while staying tuned to your music during an active workout.” In addition, Apple said it will soon add a new Nike Sport Music section on the iTunes Music Store.

The Nike+iPod Sport Kit will use iTunes 6.0.5 (not yet released) to sync the workout data with your computer and a global database. “After a workout, simply connect iPod nano to a Mac or PC and with the help of iTunes automatically sync and store workout data in a customized workout log on nikeplus.com,” the companies said. “Nikeplus.com offers personal service that helps maximize the Nike+iPod experience. You can log workout data, view and evaluate personal training goals, and review distance, time, pace and calories burned all through a colorful, dynamic and easy to use interface.” You can also challenge “anyone, anywhere” to a virtual race.

image

Nike CEO Mark Parker and Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced the Nike+iPod effort at an event in New York attended by seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong and marathon world record-holder Paula Radcliffe.

“Nike+iPod is a partnership between two iconic, global brands with a shared passion for creating meaningful consumer product experiences through design and innovation,” Parker said. “This is the first result, and Nike+iPod will change the way people run. Nike+iPod creates a better running experience. We see many more such Nike+ innovations in the future.”

“We’re working with Nike to take music and sport to a new level,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “The result is like having a personal coach or training partner motivating you every step of your workout.”

Armstrong, who is preparing for his first NY Marathon, said, “If you can incorporate time, distance and calories burned together and make it function for both the fitness runner and the high level athlete, it will take working out to a whole other level.”

“I definitely use music both ways,” Radcliffe said. “I listen to faster music if I am doing a workout in the gym to just get the best out of myself, but I also use it to help me relax in the buildup to a big race.”

+ Digg this story!

« Analyst: Apple still in ‘early stages’ of iPod expansion

World Cup iPod Hoodies announced »

Comments

UGGGH!!!
This is just what i need, but I bought the VIDEO ipod!!!
Do you think that someone will hack it for the video?

btw: I run just fine with my video in an armband! there should be no reason why this can’t run on both, right?

Posted by Liz VdK on May 23, 2006 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

According to Apple/Nike website, the sensor is just an accelerometer with a nonreplaceable batter. But for $29, that sensor might end up getting expensive if battery life is short-lived.

Does one really need a specific Nike shoe to use the sensor? Wonder if I could just use one of those shoe laced coin/key pocket holders to hold the sensor. This way I can use any my favorite (non-Nike) running shoes.

Posted by jcabanti on May 23, 2006 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

First off, nice idea.  Good job.

But what if Nike shoes aren’t the best fit for your feet and gait?  They make great shoes, but not everyone can wear them.

No heart rate monitor function?

I think I’ll stick with my Polar RS200sd for the time being.

Posted by good grief on May 23, 2006 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

Well I might wait a month before getting my next pair of shox but I really want it to work with the video ipod. Not sure I would buy a nano just for this but would buy the kit if it would work with the video.

Posted by Make it video compatible!!! on May 23, 2006 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Whoops, just saw the price.  Okay, for that cheap, I’ll say the limitations aren’t as big deal.

Provided someone figures a way to let folks use the thing in shoes not specifically made for it, I see that as a good way to enhance a lot of folks workouts.

Posted by good grief on May 23, 2006 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

Now can the Sandisk Sanso e200 do this!!???  I think not smile

Posted by lilaliend on May 23, 2006 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

“Now can the Sandisk Sanso e200 do this!!???  I think not “

Good thing only mindless sheep exercise. smile

Posted by nosedive51 on May 23, 2006 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

oh this corporate portal strategy looks familiar. when will we start hearing about itunes as a “platform” not a “media player”? then microsoft will take over the music market, apple will merge with a giant out-of-date megacorporation (which will use itunes as its internal voice mail system, to no good effect) and finally itunes will become an open source project named after its own website. hooray! open source at last!

Posted by hibi on May 23, 2006 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

This is a GREAT idea, and it shows a lot of promise for workouts, but two primary questions remain:

1. Can the sensor work in non-Nike shoes?
2. Is it compatible with other iPods, such as my 5G iPod?

If the answer to each of those questions is “yes”, then sign me up.

Posted by Jason Martin on May 23, 2006 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

Its actually a pretty good deal considering Nike’s other attempts at this and how expensive they were. The technology works though…I have the older one with a replaceable battery on the sensor and it was accurate to like 1 meter over 400m, much better than GPS. Too bad it doesnt seem easy to use with other shoes that actually are good for running.

Posted by Marc on May 23, 2006 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

“Automatically turns on and off, providing approximately 1200 hours of operation.”

From Nike’s site. I run about 4x a week at 1 hour per. So, the sensor would last many years.

Not bad for $29

Posted by Marc on May 23, 2006 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

This sounds pretty lame.  When I first heard about the Nike/Apple deal, I was hoping for a Sport iPod which would be more durable and waterproof.

Posted by Tchocky in The O.C. on May 23, 2006 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

amazing idea but why is it taking so long to get a voice recorder?!

Posted by erifneerg on May 23, 2006 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

Sounds like a great idea Apple and Nike have on their hands, but I’d love to see something for cyclers (like a bike computer).
I hate to run, but I love to ride my bike.

Posted by I-Roc Z Podder on May 23, 2006 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

That’s all great and stuff, but couldn’t you fix the shoddy menu titles on the ipod video first?

Posted by well... on May 23, 2006 at 2:43 PM (PDT)

erifneerg, I think Griffin already has a voice recorder for 5G iPods.

Posted by Armie on May 23, 2006 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

Couldn’t you realistically just tape this to the top of your shoe?

Posted by Joe on May 23, 2006 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

for all those asking about video ipod use, i’m pretty sure its because apple doesnt want to ‘endorse’ the use of hard drive based ipods for running, as we all know hard drives arent indistructable and a jolt can kill them, although with the solid state nano, no worries and more importantly for apple, no law-suits. - happy jogging

Posted by andy on May 23, 2006 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

I think those things work with other shoes as well. It is just a sensor. $29 bucks is not bad, but they may charge a premium for the shoes that offer that little pocket to stick the sensor in. Only a matter of time till other shoe manufactures include that little pocket in their shoes as well.

However, read the fine print that is hard to read on Apple’s website:

1.  The sensor’s battery is not replaceable. Battery life will vary considerably based on use and other factors.

hmm, what are ‘other factors’...

Posted by mike on May 23, 2006 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

there are other brands that could easily be placed in the portal.

coke+ipod enjoyment kit. powered by bubbles, the coke+ sensor allows ipod users to track the number of nearby cans, their relative fullness, their flavor and their calories. coke+ipod additionally allows the user to monitor the speed of consumption or to accompany consumption with a variety of favorite coca-cola product jingles.

fedex+ipod delivery kit. use your ipod to automatically sign for packages! for greater security (or multiple packages), use slamsign to perform your personal signature dance. also track how fast you open a fedex+ package and how many you opened this week or this month. with an isight camera, itunes can also help you develop your personal slamsign moves. (slamsign requires a fedex+ compatible delivery person.)

redcross+ipod. use your ipod to watch the speed and effectiveness of services delivered to you in your emergency shelter. each redcross+ blanket tells you the exact temperature inside and outside of bed and can activate a wake-to-music function if the blanket is stolen while you are sleeping. when you find your computer, you can sync the data to see if you have met your personal disaster workout goals.

Posted by hibi on May 24, 2006 at 5:37 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >