Nike+ coming to iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Nike+ coming to iPhone, iPod touch

Nike plans to expand its Nike+ program to include the iPhone and iPod touch, according to a new report. Stuff.tv, visiting Nike’s headquarters in Oregon, said a Nike+ spokesperson confirmed the expansion, adding that it could also make use of the devices’ Wi-Fi capabilities (and possibly the iPhone’s upcoming 3G connection) to allow users to update their training log on the fly, without the need for docking with a computer. This news follows a set of recently published Apple patent applications, which outlined a digital fitness program for iTunes and touchscreen digital media devices.

« Vestalife Ladybug Giveaway still going, enter today

Mix: MVNO, IPhone social networking, In-Stat »

Comments

This is excellent news.  One of the only reasons I still have an iPod nano is for the Nike+ kit.  I’ve found I don’t use it at all otherwise, with a full-sized iPod classic and iPhone already in my world, the nano is relatively superfluous.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on April 11, 2008 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

Does anyone have insight on when this might happen? Im pretty excited!

Posted by Paul Frasier on April 11, 2008 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

is this out for the classic yet?

Posted by D on April 11, 2008 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

I’m not a runner but this is great news!  I think the more Apple partners with other companies the better.

Posted by Mike M on April 11, 2008 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

You probably won’t see it out for the classic for the same reason it was never released for the 5G iPod.  The full-size iPods are hard-drive based, and therefore not well-suited to jogging, since it would jar the hard drive too much.

The iPhone and iPod touch are flash-based, so not only is there no reason not to offer it for these devices, but the WiFi and EDGE/3G capabilities open up a whole new set of possibilities.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on April 11, 2008 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

@D
as Jesse said The Classic isn’t suited to Jogging, however many people (like him in Post 1) will be wanting to offload their Nanos cheap.

Personally, I prefer running with my Nano to something bigger; my iPod touch is more of a PDA/WebPad than an iPod so my 5G iPod and 3G nano still get used extensively for different purposes.

The iPhone and iPod touch would need special remotes to be used whilst running; a touch-screen is too complicated to look at when you want to change songs; while the Nano is ideal; even for someone with big hands.

Posted by Dan Woods on April 11, 2008 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

This is perfect for people who want to carry one device that does it all!  I’m excited and have been waiting for iphone capability for some time, I run with the iphone, I’ve run with the video ipod and see no reason to keep nike+ to the nano, oh we have one of those too as well as a shuffle, yet I’d like to just carry one for everything!  iphone, sweet!!!

Posted by macphreak on April 11, 2008 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

I have been waiting for this the last few month. And finally YES !!!!!! It’s amazing what comes out. Just think about it for a sec. And good ol’ Apple is the reason for it. I’m looking forward to the future about new inventions by apple.

Posted by dennis on April 11, 2008 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

If only it supported cycling.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 11, 2008 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

I really wish they would come out with this for the classic. I don’t run myself, but it would make a great gift!

BTW, I totally agree w/ the cycling thing.

Posted by Ella on April 19, 2008 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

Anyone have any idea when this is due to be released? Gossip has been around for a while but nothing on a release date - is this gonna actually materialise?

Posted by Manj on August 19, 2008 at 4:12 AM (PDT)