Nike iPod watch details, photos leaked | iLounge News

Nike iPod watch details, photos leaked

image

Following up on its successful Nike + iPod Sport Kit, Nike plans to release a series of at least two and perhaps three hybrid watch and wireless remote control accessories for Nike + iPod Sport Kit-equipped iPod nanos, iLounge has learned. One is Flight+, a sophisticated digital wrist watch and wireless remote control, while another is Amp+, a less complex watch design previously disclosed in an issue of Men’s Health magazine, but now fully detailed by an iLounge reader. A third model, Aero+, appears to be destined for iPod release as well; as of press time, iLounge is awaiting additional details from Nike.

Planned for release on May 1 of this year, Flight+ ($129, shown above) is a wireless iPod remote control with a complete digital wristwatch as its body. In a novel design, Flight+‘s music controls, such as volume and track adjustment, are built into a rocking bezel around its central Electroluminescent (EL) backlit watch screen. Available in two colors, this watch will feature standard time, date, and chronometer features, including alarms, plus the ability to trigger the Nike + iPod Sport Kit’s voice feedback feature.

imagePreviously disclosed to Men’s Health by Nike, the upcoming Amp+ is a bracelet-styled remote control with a stripped-down subset of Flight+‘s features. Amp+ includes its own integrated LED display with the ability to display either time or iPod control status, an iPod shuffle-styled control pad to let users change tracks, adjust volume, and play/pause songs on the iPod, and special Sport Controls to call up the Sport Kit’s special voice feedback and PowerSong features.

image

Like Flight+, Amp+ is listed as a May 1, 2007 release, but this model is shown in five different colors - two pinks, two reds, and an orange - each at an $79 price. Though the majority of its body appears to be made from plastic, Amp+ is described as using a solid stainless steel double action clasp to seal shut on the wearer’s wrist.

imageA third watch called Aero+ also appears to be in the offing for iPod owners. Shown in two differently colored versions, Aero+ appears to be a men’s version of the Flight+ design, with a larger body, more rugged look, and similar wireless remote and clock functionality. Neither pricing nor a projected release date are listed for this model.

The three watches appear to be part of a larger move by Nike into the Sport Kit Sensor-ready watch business - including steps to be taken without Apple. Two additional products, the Nike Speed+ Kit for Men, and the Nike Speed+ Kit for Women, are each apparently planned to ship in two colored versions, packaged along with a Nike+-branded USB receiver and Nike+ Sensor for $129. These Speed+ watches eliminate the need for an iPod to store your performance data, instead transferring the shoe-mounted Sensor’s distance, pace, elapsed time and calorie details to the watch’s simple built-in LCD screen and memory chip, then sending the saved data to the USB receiver and your computer. Without an iPod, both music and voice feedback will be missing. The Speed+ Kits will also be available at the beginning of May.

image
image
image
image

« Microsoft exec, displeased with Creative and Dell, proposed iPod partnership

iSkin offers Tokidoki Vibes for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

I’m sorry to say, but those are really ugly. Guess they don’t have Ive designing them.

Posted by Ted Wood on January 19, 2007 at 4:00 PM (CST)

I like the Amp+ and at $79 I’ll probably buy one when it comes out.

The one problem I have with my Nike+ running situation is that I wear the Nike+ short sleeve shirts that have the pocket for the iPod and the cable up the inside.  As nice as the shirts are, it’s not easy to press the center button or invoke the powersong while I’m running because of body movement.

For $79, I’ll give the watch a try.

Posted by Mike Cosentino on January 19, 2007 at 6:09 PM (CST)

Now if one of these watches replaces the watch for my Nike wireless heart rate monitor I’m there.

Posted by sean on January 19, 2007 at 8:09 PM (CST)

Ted, you may think they’re ugly, I think that they actually look pretty cool. I don’t have a nike+, but these certainly have my interest. That Amp+ is looking pretty nice.

Posted by Shreddie on January 20, 2007 at 12:25 AM (CST)

I like the simplicity of the amp+ myself. Does anyone get how the amp+ displays the time? It looks like there are 6 vertical strips, how does that show the time

Posted by jo on January 20, 2007 at 2:27 AM (CST)

I’m in for the Amp+.  And when (please?) the heart rate monitor function is added to the next gen, I’ll sell the Amp+ on eBay & upgrade.

Posted by gutefahrt on January 21, 2007 at 4:47 PM (CST)

In regards the colors of the Amp+, what is said above, i don’t think is entirely accurate. The pic’s seem to be tinged a redish colour through out, so my opinion on the colours is - Black, Red, Orange, Pink and Grey.  For example, the Black is solid, the Red, is black with a red backing (akin to the Nano Nike Armband), the Orange is Black with Orange Backing the Pink is a deep pink with a light pink backing, and the grey has a pastel pink backing. the Backing can be seen at teh side of the watch when worn, or the inside of the whole strap when worn.
Again, that’s just my take on it!

Posted by gireland on January 21, 2007 at 5:01 PM (CST)

The thing marked “display” on the Amp+ is akin to a dot matrix, likely in a grid pattern, which should be able to display any number (and more) by lighting up the proper dots. In the pictures above, they all appear to be displaying the “play/pause” (like >|| if you follow) symbols. Waaaaahahahahaaaaa, widdle bwudderrrrr ... aaaaahahahahaaaaa ... you can make it on your own ... waaaaaaa. Scuse.

Posted by bonk on January 21, 2007 at 7:47 PM (CST)

aw man, I feel like such an idiot now, why o why did I not recognize that the Amp+ was displaying play/pause? I was trying to reason out what times it said for the longest time. Thanks bonk

Posted by shreddie on January 22, 2007 at 1:48 AM (CST)

Isn’t it strange that they don’t have a “Lance” bracelet (yellow)?  I thought they’d be all over taht one

Posted by cannon on January 22, 2007 at 9:32 AM (CST)

Wow those watches are ugly. The lack of HRM is still a glaring issue, and I was really hoping that the watches would solve that… Now I am not so sure I will be buying one until HRM is added.

Posted by akatsuki on January 22, 2007 at 12:52 PM (CST)

Does anyone know if there are plans to provide a version of the Sport Kit that will work with 5G Ipods?

Posted by JC on January 22, 2007 at 4:44 PM (CST)

5G IPods?  You shouldn’t be running with a hard drive, stick to the solid state iPods for running.

Posted by Rob on January 22, 2007 at 5:55 PM (CST)

Without a HRM these watches don’t add much value. With a HRM they could pretty much take the market away from Garmin and Polar. Won’t buy one unless it has a HRM

Posted by datim on January 24, 2007 at 2:15 PM (CST)

yow i like the idea. I would like it have a little build in speaker so i could listen without head phone. so i could listen my favourite music while in a boring meeting or just where u can’t make much noise.

also i like those nice design but it would be better in black and where the band is as the same size as the face.

And also size is important. nothing less than 256mb max size unlimited.

How could i get one? i am in Jamaica.

Posted by Sir. Dre on April 11, 2007 at 2:45 PM (CDT)