No Electricity?  No problem… iPod to the rescue! | iLounge News

No Electricity?  No problem… iPod to the rescue!

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, August 15, 2003
News Categories:

By now, many of you may be aware of the huge power outage that occured throughout Ontario and most of the North East U.S.  As I returned home last night to my unpowered apartment, I was greeted by a short 4 story climb in pitch black stairwells.  Not too bad for me, but for an elderly couple, one of whome was on an oxygen machine, and carrying luggage, it could have been life threatening.  So after sitting for a few minutes to review the situation and ensuring that I would help with these bags, I whipped out my iPod, turned on the backlight.. and voila!  Light for everyone.

Needless to say, all were impressed, and the cool blue glow adequately lit the darkened stairwell enough for everyone to get where they were going without a problem.  Not to mention easily over 8 hours of play time later that evening in an otherwise electricity free zone.  Thank’s Apple, you may have saved a life.

« Griffin iTrip for 3G iPod to ship early September

CNET: Low-tech tools rule in unplugged city »

Comments

Hehe. Nice story.
But I find 8 Hours of Music after using the backlight kind of hard to believe. smile

Posted by Squibbles on August 15, 2003 at 5:43 PM (PDT)

lol….me too, especially on the new ones….my 2nd gen 20gb should be able to do that (note: I’m assuming it’s third gen because of the blue glow).....they work great in the dark don’t they!?

Posted by zync on August 15, 2003 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

Exactly the same thing for me as well. Without the ipod i wouldnt be able to eat, brush my teeth, get out of bed etc.

Posted by Ferrari on August 15, 2003 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

cool story!

Posted by Smoygles on August 15, 2003 at 7:18 PM (PDT)

Same thing happened to me. Six flights up some New York City projectspitch black to bright white with my 20 gig iPod. I Love My iPod!

Posted by SkuzE in New York City on August 15, 2003 at 8:11 PM (PDT)

Oh thankyou Apple so so much. Without my ipod i would not be able to live my life to it’s full potential - my ipod it like a lost limb to me - er yeah right i was being sarcastic!

Posted by david dick on August 16, 2003 at 4:35 AM (PDT)

This is extremely disturbing.  This sounds like a freakin cult.

Next thing you know these people are gonna be having sex with their iPods.

Posted by OMG on August 16, 2003 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

What, you can do that now. How wink

Stefan

Posted by Stefan on August 16, 2003 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

This is funny, I had to go up and down twelve flights, and luckily I had my Ipod too. that thing makes a lot of light.

Posted by alex thweatt on August 16, 2003 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

I had a similar experience—after working on location all day my coworker & I had to switch vehicles at our shop around midnight. The moonlight helped a bit, but inside was pitch-black. Ipod lighted up the entire room so we could find keys. etc. smile

Posted by tina on August 16, 2003 at 8:02 AM (PDT)

Im in ontario, and i encountered the outage, for 22 hrs straight.

I navigated to the corner store, bed, etc with the iPod. It rocks!

Posted by stasyna on August 16, 2003 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

Does anyone screen this crap?

They’re finding dead old people in their apts and you’re babbling about your ipod… shut up

Posted by PodimusPrime in 192.168.1.1 on August 16, 2003 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

good point Podimus. trust these yuppies to rejoice over the fact that they didnt stumble down flights of stairs to their certain doom and make alot of people happy when real tragedies could not be helped. can you imagine the number of eldery that were stuck without respirators and other life giving equipment that require electricity. why didnt you use that same iPod to keep them company and possibly rescue them from harm you selfish bastards.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on August 16, 2003 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

But they did!  Hurray for unselfish people.
You can all stop being upset now.
Group hug.

Posted by Rumpelstiltskin on August 16, 2003 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

Podimus, Jaguares,

God forbid people enojy their iPods and discuss their enjoyment on, oh say, a web site devoted to the iPod.

And if you bothered to read the article at the top of this page, you’d notice that the author did help his elderly neighbors. I guess it’s more fine to skim the details and rip into people needlessly though.

Obviously there are more important things than iPods. Doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy them though. Just gotta keep things in perspective.

Posted by PodUser on August 16, 2003 at 5:25 PM (PDT)

i did the same….listened to Ipod and used as flashlight.

MY SAVIOR
hahah

Posted by dan on August 16, 2003 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

GIVE ME AN “I”
GIVE ME A “P”
GIVE ME AN “O”
GIVE ME A “D”

...AND WHAT DOES THAT SPELL?!?!?

IPOD, IPOD, IPOD

YEAH!!!!!!

(TUMBLE, TUMBLE, TOE-TOUCH, CLAP)

LOL

Posted by iepd in texas on August 16, 2003 at 7:43 PM (PDT)

Old people are gonna die anyway…. I mean alot sooner then young people that is…..

Posted by fdafd on August 16, 2003 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

I’m not sure why anyone would wind up here without having read the article…I mean it’s on the main page it’s on the top of this page….anyway also few people ever think of something important….some people that die in these tragedies are supposed to….if there’s a reason for everything whether religiously based i.e. god (and btw don’t try to finger me on this because I’m agnostic but I do present other beliefs) or otherwise as in fate, or what have you….it might be that these people were supposed to die and whether by this or not, they probably would have anyway….sorry….I’ve been watching too much final destination recently…but still it’s an interesting thought…

Posted by zync on August 17, 2003 at 12:14 AM (PDT)

My iPod-lit-my-way story in NO WAY undermines the tragedies that have occured in this city (Toronto) or others as a result of the blackout. In fact, I am insulted that you would even suggest that I harbour such coldness of heart. Maybe if you knew I was a nursing student it would help you rest a little easier? Or am I now a selfish nurse??

You have NO IDEA what I went through that particular day but you should understand that in order to keep sane, some people lightheartedly discuss seemingly trivial, everyday things.

BTW, the area where my work is located is notorious for robberies, rapes, and other assaults. Being able to see in the dark via my iPod backlight was a blessing to me & my coworker. You shouldn’t judge people, think twice before insulting them.

—tina

p.s.—I’m hardly a yuppie. I make $12 an hour busting my ### in a ###### catering job 15 hrs a day—I often go 2-3 weeks without a day off. I drag my butt home completely exhausted every single day. When I’m not working, I’m in school full-time. My iPod is the only spoiling I have allowed myself. Give me a break, huh?

Posted by tina on August 17, 2003 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >