No Electricity?  No problem… iPod to the rescue! | iLounge News

No Electricity?  No problem… iPod to the rescue!

By now, many of you may be aware of the huge power outage that occured throughout Ontario and most of the North East U.S.  As I returned home last night to my unpowered apartment, I was greeted by a short 4 story climb in pitch black stairwells.  Not too bad for me, but for an elderly couple, one of whome was on an oxygen machine, and carrying luggage, it could have been life threatening.  So after sitting for a few minutes to review the situation and ensuring that I would help with these bags, I whipped out my iPod, turned on the backlight.. and voila!  Light for everyone.

Needless to say, all were impressed, and the cool blue glow adequately lit the darkened stairwell enough for everyone to get where they were going without a problem.  Not to mention easily over 8 hours of play time later that evening in an otherwise electricity free zone.  Thank’s Apple, you may have saved a life.

« Griffin iTrip for 3G iPod to ship early September

CNET: Low-tech tools rule in unplugged city »

Comments

Yeah, how did you a**holes find your way to an ipod devoted website only to put podders down? Is this the best you can do with your life?

Posted by alex thweatt on August 17, 2003 at 10:10 AM (CDT)

lol…stupid.

Posted by Sparks9 on August 17, 2003 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

for alex thweatt

hey coward;

don’t call names feeling strong in anonymity.

PM me whenever you need to say something sweetheart

Posted by PodimusPrime in 192.168.1.1 on August 17, 2003 at 7:16 PM (CDT)

Old people should be issued with iPods. What do ya reckon?

Posted by gazzer b. good on August 18, 2003 at 12:26 AM (CDT)

OF COURSE I’m a yuppie…I live in New York and own an iPod! That must be it, really.

Go ahead, overlook the fact that I’m a struggling student…

Posted by ZoidbergD on August 18, 2003 at 12:52 AM (CDT)

i think you people are veering from the point a bit. now your just plain being mean to each other. i can easily say that zoidberg is a pansy mommas boy but i wont. thats besides the point. oh and that alex thweatt is a rump ranger but i wont cause i feel online fighting is pointless. thanks for your time. sup Podimus.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on August 18, 2003 at 8:52 AM (CDT)

mmm sex with an ipod.. ahh anyway.. as for the 8hours.. it was fully charged and I actually only used the backlight for about 5 minutes.. it seemed longer of course.. and it was on and playing from about 5pm to after 1am and I turned it off before it actually told me it died.. so.. maybe I just got lucky?

Posted by Twitchy on August 18, 2003 at 9:25 AM (CDT)

Sex with an iPod?  Hmm… is this, http://homepage.mac.com/ipodlove/iMovieTheater1.html, getting close?

I understood that many nursing homes were lit up by the residents holding iPods up in unison; reminscent of lighters at a concert…

:-)  Time to lighten up and enjoy our iPods!

Posted by Poddy Break on August 18, 2003 at 11:14 AM (CDT)

Reminiscent of lighters at a concert? More like Hannukah 2….lol

Posted by zync on August 18, 2003 at 10:13 PM (CDT)

“They’re finding dead old people in their apts and you’re babbling about your ipod… shut up”

News flash: Old people are dying today, too. They’ll die tomorrow. And here you are on an iPod site flaming iPod users for writing about iPods instead of getting out there and battling evil and the decay of civilization.

Way to go guy.

Posted by durf on August 19, 2003 at 1:33 AM (CDT)

mmm 8 hours play time after using the backlight, I don’t think so.

Posted by mac_glady on August 19, 2003 at 5:25 AM (CDT)

This Ipod thing is a bit cultish. Pretty freaky. I have already play Judas to the Ipod, when someone on the El in Chicago asked if it was an Ipod I was listening to (white ear buds were visible). I lied and said “no, it’s a minidisc.” That shut them up right quick. Like I want to have a conversation with someone about the Ipod. Give me an effing break. The “get a life” cliche may be overused, but it is appropos here

Posted by Mark Tate on August 19, 2003 at 7:30 AM (CDT)

Yeah I forgot everything else that was said after I read the ‘8 hours of play time’...maybe it’s a typo and he meant minutes? *shrugs*

Posted by dottz on August 19, 2003 at 7:34 AM (CDT)

Jeeze,  you guys are really hung up on this 8 hours of play.  Well, as I mentioned before, the backligh was only on for maybe 5 minutes.. and my pod was playing from around 5 pm to almost 1 am.  Maybe I got lucky, maybe I paused it once in a while.. but the general idea.. it had power for along time.. I wasn’t jumping tracks or creating on the go playlists or anything, just sort of let it go, so maybe that had something to do with conserving its power.  Anyway…  just let it go…

Posted by Twitchy on August 19, 2003 at 9:42 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2