Nokia board member: Euro, Asian phones make iPhone ‘look pedestrian’ | iLounge News

Nokia board member: Euro, Asian phones make iPhone ‘look pedestrian’

Speaking on the issue of sideloading, or the process of filling devices such as the iPhone using a computer instead of directly over the internet, Nokia board member Daniel Hesse claimed that the iPhone “will be big in the U.S., but not anywhere else.” “In Europe and Asia there are all those phenomenal phones out there that make the iPhone look pedestrian,” he continued. He did however support the iPhone’s use of sideloading, stating that it “will be absolutely crucial” for transferring multimedia files to mobile devices. “I think no matter how fast the wireless networks get here, the computer is always faster,” he stated. Hesse is also the CEO of Embarq, a company that provides local phone and broadband services in several markets, including Las Vegas and central Florida.

« iPodweek + Forums: iTunes Bug, CD Rips, and Fun Chats

Unofficial iPhone New York ad appears »

Comments

So, in short, as I am not wasting more time with this filter:

N O K I A has nothing to out-wow the iPhone. Nothing. Terrible designs in cheap-feeling plastic. Hesse is making a fool of himself.

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 15, 2007 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

Anybody know what the subscription service for media will run for to support the iPhone per month with AT&T?

Posted by iPudder on June 15, 2007 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

Even if the Nokia apologia was true, it merely proves that Nokia made commercially indefensible decisions not to market all those Euro/Asian phones in the US market.  I guess Nokia didn’t want the extra couple of hundred million dollars.  Oh well.

Posted by Jim G on June 15, 2007 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

i have to agree 110% with what the nokia dude said…
i used to live overseas and the cellphone technology there was EXTREMELY superior to the cellphones we have here in america… cellphones here in the US suck… atleast most of them do..

Posted by nathan on June 15, 2007 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

yeah seriously phones in the us are terrible compared to elsewhere. as is the service. I don’t know anyone who is actually satisfied their phone or service provider, and I don’t really see the iphone changing that.

Posted by jm on June 15, 2007 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

Seems to me that twits like this guy don’t need to be bashing the phones offered in the U.S. since he works for one of the companies offering the phones here.  If your phones are so much better than the iPhone, then make them availablehere.

Posted by Michael on June 15, 2007 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

So, Mr. Nokia Guy, why don’t you sell those phones in the US?

Apple was able to force AT&T to change some pretty fundamental approaches to the cell phone game.  What have YOU been doing?

Posted by moofie on June 15, 2007 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

moofie, I was actually wondering which phones he was referring to. And I am located in Europe.

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 16, 2007 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

Nokia? Aren’t they so ‘90s???

The last Nokia phone I had stunk it up big time, so anything they have to say carries no credibility with me. Of course, it could’ve been the carrier’s fault as well (good ol’ ATT/Cingular)...

Posted by flatline response on June 16, 2007 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

Typical responses from fan boys. You wanna know why they don’t market most of the cool stuff here…because services providers here say that we don’t want them. He is right all the cool phones are for across the pond. Service providers here don’t really want niche phones. They want phones that they can make money off of and will have the amount of problems meaning fewer people calling into tech support. Did you know some S.P.‘s only pay you based on the number of calls you take. Yes its true. So if they can get a phone that won’t cause consumers any problems and they sell a boat load of them and few call in for tech support they will make more money they if on the same scenario with a niche phone that has tons of problems but sells a lot and having just about everyone call in for tech.

Posted by eReU on June 17, 2007 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

Personally I use the HTC P3600 Trinity http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_p3600.htm . In my opinion it has more to offer than the iphone… maybe the design and the GUI of the iphone is superior… but there is no build in GPS, no push mail (AFAIK)... Sometimes I think Apple sells Books with the best covers.. but how do they say: Dont judge a book by its cover.

Posted by saminegm on June 17, 2007 at 9:56 PM (PDT)

Stating that an M$ GUI is “superior” on iLounge, now that’s what I call guts…

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 18, 2007 at 1:51 AM (PDT)

Make that “a”. Coffee come early…

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 18, 2007 at 1:54 AM (PDT)

I’ll bet none of the fanboys above bashing Hesse’s comments have ever set foot outside the US and never lived in another country.  The Apple iPhone is a mid-level device when comparing features to European high-level phones.  My last couple of phones for use on US networks came from eBay, and the carrier “free” phones were immediately upgraded to the generic software versions, which restored the email and other apps that comes with the European versions of the phones.

What I’m hoping is that the iPhone will make the US operators less arrogant and allow Nokia and others to bring their top-end handsets to the US.

BTW, my current mobile phone can do almost everything that the iPhone can do, and was released more than a year ago.  It has wi-fi, hot swappable SD card, I can do video playback, music playback, it has a full-featured web browser supporting Javascript and Flash, supports push-email, 3G, EDGE, quad-band, bluetooth, mapping software, VoIP, IM, yada-yada-yada.  It does not have a camera, being a business oriented phone, and has a full qwerty keyboard.  And, sadly, is not available from any carrier in the US.  Oh, and I paid < $300 for it, with no service contract.

Posted by kokketiel on June 18, 2007 at 5:36 AM (PDT)

kokketiel, as mentioned, I am in Europe. The issue is not that Nokia and other have long managed to cram every imaginable functionality into their phones. It is that most of these phones are hard to use due to terrible GUIs, in fact suffer from feature bloat, and do not do well in most of the things they can do. It takes companies like Sony Ericsson more than two years to release a devoluted flagship hunk of junk like the P990i, which then has to ripen in your pocket for at least another six months until the software is halfway stable. Mac support is iffy at best. I would also add that most non-fashion phones are eyesores, but that is a matter of taste. That the consumers in the US are cursed with crippled mid-range phones due to the greed of operators is a different issue.

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 18, 2007 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

what you people don’t get is the fact that the U.S. so underdeveloped in gsm systems that the newer asian and european networks have a big edge both in phones and network coverage. people in other countries don’t get free phones they pay for them something like 350-600 $. i don’t think Americans want to do that, do they? so theres the reason why many companies don’t officially release products in the US.
Btw if u want to know Japan has the best phones in the world along with the best networks. the vcast tv thing you’re seeing on tv is already been fully developed and they’ve been using it for years. phones and networks are so developed in japan that they make the US’s cell technology look like the dark ages.
I’m not bashing anyone here, just making honest comparisons

Posted by james on June 18, 2007 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

Bad Beaver, I concur. I lived in Singapore for a couple of years, and I still go back every year. People upgrade every year to the latest gadget because it’s a fashion statement. That every new feature is touted as the greatest thing has everything to do with how lame most phones are at performing their basic functions in the first place.

On a separate note, I’m also really tired of walking into the Nokia flagship store on Michigan Ave in Chicago, and finding their latest gadgets don’t support US 3G standards either. So what’s the excuse for that - on the one hand, let me rip the iPhone for not supporting US 3G standards, otoh, please don’t notice what my left hand is doing.

Posted by Gerald on June 18, 2007 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

@ kokketiel:
What’s your current phone?

Posted by George on June 19, 2007 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

I have to say I have never been that impressed with Nokia’s offerings in the US and will glady support Apple’s attempt to upgrade cell phones here in the colonies. Companies like Nokia, who stood idly by, doing nothing but collected our money should be shunned! As for asian and european countries having the best, most up to date technologies? Sure it’s easy for most of these countries to have much better technology structures in place, especially since they had the luxury of the US rebuilding them after WWII. Furthermore, most of these countries are smaller than the state of New Jersey. The US is saddled with a legacy system almost 100 years old that spans a whole continent. The real kicker here is that all this fantastic asian and european technology is based on 10 years of research at Bell Laboratories in lil ‘ol Tennessee done 50 years ago.

Posted by tiptop on June 27, 2007 at 7:24 AM (PDT)