NPD: iTunes to replace Wal-Mart as top music retailer this year
Following a report earlier today that iTunes has become the second-largest music retailer in the US, a NPD executive has said that the store will likely knock Wal-Mart from the top spot later this year. “Digital sales were up close to 50 percent and CD sales were down 20 percent last year,” said Russ Crupnik, president of music for the NPD Group. “Even at half that growth rate in digital sales, Apple will in all likelihood catch Wal-Mart this year.” Crupnik went on to say that Apple has done a better of job of retailing than its competitors, especially in its efforts to attract teenagers. Since many teens lack credit cards, iTunes Gift Cards, which can be purchased at retail locations, allow them to purchase music online when their lack of a credit card might prevent them from buying from a competing store. “That’s the question that the music industry has to answer soon,” Crupnick said. “How do we get young people to start paying for music again? They’ve got to make it easier for teens to buy online. Apple CEO Steve Jobs has done a wonderful job of this. Teens have a way to do commerce with iTunes.”
- Apple releases iTunes 12.2.1 with iTunes Match, Apple Music fixes
- Judge voids $532.9M ruling against Apple
- Apple aims to bring back Home Sharing for music in iOS 9
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Apple Music allows for offline listening, lacks complete iTunes library for streaming
- Report: Apple aiming for 100 million Apple Music users
- Nokia’s HERE Maps sold to automakers in $3.1B deal
- Report: Apple plans to use Siri to transcribe voicemails
- Leaked photos suggest thicker, Force Touch-equipped iPhones
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Report reveals additional details on Apple and BMW talks
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?