NPD: Satisfaction higher among early iPad adopters | iLounge News

NPD: Satisfaction higher among early iPad adopters

The NPD Group has released several new pieces of information from its second in a series of surveys about the iPad. The study found that customer satisfaction was higher among early adopters of the iPad—those who purchased the device in its first two months of availability—than those who purchased their iPad more recently, with 80 percent of early adopters very satisfied with the device, compared to 65 percent of more recent purchasers. Interestingly, this wasn’t the only metric in which the early adopters differed from new owners; early adopters were 44 percent more likely to watch YouTube videos, 50 percent more likely to watch movies, 60 percent more likely to watch TV shows, and 38 percent more likely to read e-books. Early adopters were also slightly more likely to be Mac owners, with 50 percent owning Macs compared to 45 percent of later purchasers. Overall, 38 percent of iPad users also own an iPhone, only 13 percent said they purchased an iPad instead of a PC, and 24 percent said the iPad replaced a planned e-reader purchase. NPD’s online survey was conducted in August amongst more than 500 adult iPad owners.

« MobileMe Gallery update adds native iPad support

App Store holds Big Games, Great Prices sale on popular iOS games »

Comments

Regardless of the difference between early and late adopters, I am amused to see the disproportionate number of Mac owners buying with roughly half of all iPad buyers being Mac owners.

As I’ve observed, when your base reference for a laptop is a Mac Book, the iPad’s pricing makes sense. Compared to the Windows and Linux world, its pricing is well past asinine (in spite of this fact, we have one in the household because my wife is not as practical as her husband when it comes to gadgets ;))

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 1, 2010 at 4:04 PM (CDT)

@#1,

I knew there was something redeeming about you - it’s your wife!  ;)

Posted by sb on October 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM (CDT)

The fact that early adopters are more likely to watch movies etc. is an easily explainable one in that they are the ones with unlimited plans. Wish mine hadn’t been stolen. I loved that thing although I didn’t use it quite as much as I thought I would.

Posted by Ben on October 2, 2010 at 10:41 AM (CDT)

@Code Monkey - you say that roughly half of iPad owners are Mac owners. Well, that leaves roughly half as NOT Mac owners. I think that the slightly higher portion of owners that already had a Mac can be attributed to the fact that those people already had a product they felt was great. That made them more wiling to take a chance on another product from that company.

That is precisely how I got into Apple myself. I had an iPod (2nd Gen, first that was Windows formatted) and thought it was an excellent piece of gear. That got me thinking “If they can put so much quality into a fringe music player (and it was still fringe at that time), I wonder what they are putting into their flagship products. I started researching PowerBooks and eventually made the leap (and I still have that PowerBook, and it looks/runs like new). That was a great choice for me and lead to my later adoption of the iPhone. I have not jumped into the iPad pool yet. I like the product, but I simply do not want to spend the cash right now. And since we are over half way through the 1st Gen’s life cycle, I am now just waiting for the update in January.

Making quality products and providing excellent customer service builds brand loyalty. And brand loyalty is what is selling a great many iPads. In my honest opinion anyway.

Posted by Mitch on October 2, 2010 at 11:46 AM (CDT)

Mitch, kind of irrelevant. When you make up less than 3% of all computer owners but 50% of iPad owners, that is interesting and an empirical fact. Sure, both of our *whys* are conjecture, but unlike yours, mine in based in common sense.

Spinning the usual Apple BS to a very happy ex-Mac user isn’t going to convince me of anything without the data (Apple’s own oft touted claims about how many Mac buyers are first timers, when viewed objectively, means roughly a good half of all Mac buyers never buy another one, so they aren’t all that good at convincing people of their quality).

Occam’s Razor, as usual, gives us the most likely answer: the price tag relative to quality you’ll call reasonable. Since it’s been a good 15 years that anyone could objectively say Macs were better than PCs (spare me the marketing and self-delusional hype, I was there making the same schpiels two decades ago and I’m surprised my PC using friends didn’t punch me - I’m sure I deserved it more than once ;)), those who are loyally using Macs are price unconscious at the kindest. So, given they’re the sorts who think more than two grand for a nice but not particularly mind blowing laptop makes an iota of sense in 2010, of course they’re the sort who think the entry price points for the iPad make perfect sense and why they’re more than 30 times as likely to buy an iPad versus a PC user.

Apple makes decent products. I’ve been using and buying them for going on thirty years now. They are decent. They are even often even the best tool for the job. Other than that, though, it’s mostly all hype.

(And when you’ve been working in an office where one of the “pizza box” Macs spontaneously combusted and caused the evacuation of an 11 story office building, you’re never going to listen to stories about their quality the same way again :))

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

Code Monkey, you’re basing your entire judgment on your limited experience rather than the big picture. If I were to judge the same way you do, I’d have to say that Macs are the only computer worth having and that anyone who buys anything else is simply a fool. My defense for that statement would be, “well, that’s been my experience”. I know there are some decent PCs out there (I haven’t seen them, but I believe they exist). I just know that, having used both a PC and a Mac in an office environment (at the same time), the Mac was much more intuitive and it just worked. I’ve had nothing but trouble with PCs - it’s why I’m a Mac user. For you to say, “it’s been a good 15 years that anyone could objectively say Macs were better than PCs” is egregiously hyperbolic. You’ve clearly been drinking some sort of Kool-Aid. I think in general people largely agree that Macs are better than PCs, they just question whether the degree to which they are better is worth the premium.

Posted by urbanslaughter on October 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

Code Monkey, you have an opinion of Macs based on your own experience. I have a very strong opinion of PC boxes based on mine. In my experience, the Apple products have been far superior in quality over the Dell’s, HP’s and such. You reference a “more than two grand” laptop. Ok, that is the highest of the high end. I paid about $1500 for a PowerBook that is still pristine. I only upgraded after four and a half years because they had switched to Intel and many programs required the new architecture. The PowerBook is still running like a champ and I use it as a media server still to this day.

I also bought a Dell laptop within a month or two of that PowerBook (mid 2002). It lasted roughly two years before it was reduced to a paperweight. The USB ports had been broken or failed to register a connection any longer. The hinges for the screen had cracked. The system itself had to be wiped and reinstalled twice (I will say this has more to do with my wife’s belief…as a teacher…that downloading free stuff is always OK). I replaced that $799 Dell with a $999 MacBook that has now lasted three times as long and has had the OS reinstalled once (because it was being donated to her elementary school when I got her a new Intel MacBook). So, that is two instances where my Macs have performed well beyond their PC counterparts.

Again, this is all personal experience. You have yours, I have mine. I started out as a Windows/PC guy. I used Windows on an HP, a Toshiba and two Dells. I even went the Linux route and threw Red Hat 8 on my HP to see how that worked. I tried it, it was clunky and not very user friendly and I eventually just got rid of it. My point is that I landed on a Mac after trying the other platforms. Apple has been a good choice for me. It is a good choice for others. It just isn’t your personal choice any more. And that is fine. It really is not the best option for everyone. I have steered friends, family and coworkers to Windows, Linux and Apple. I try and base it on what they want/need out of their computer. I do, however, like to add that I have never had the level of support I get from Apple out of ANY of the other entities. I really do feel better knowing that I can call one number for support on my hardware, software, phone, media device and several networking devices. What PC company can offer that? That in itself is something I am willing to pay a little more to get. Aside from my experience of better build quality and well designed products.

Posted by Mitch on October 4, 2010 at 9:33 AM (CDT)

While I have zero experience with a Mac, I can’t comment on the line of argument above, except that I’ve been happy with my Windows Laptop, nor have I had any major issues with any of my Windows laptops for work (whether they be Dell, HP, or whatever).  I will also add that I do have several Apple products (ipods) which I do enjoy immensely, so they do make a quality product.

However, if what Code Monkey says above is true (that 3% of Computer Owners have a Mac, and 50% of iPad sales are going to owners of Macs), than that really does tell an immense story around who is buying the iPad’s, and what that market share really means from a global perspective.  Sure they’ve sold alot, but that really means only 1.5% of people who own computers bought an iPad.  Not an insignificant #, but certainly not a game changing figure either.  Very much dependant on whether you own a Mac, vs a generally bought piece of equipment (like a flat screen TV or car or something).  The iPad is skewing very much to a specific demographic vs an overall market.

Those numbers are impressive too, since early adopters are going to be your hard core Apple fans, so that is quite a difference between those who wait in line for the latest and greatest (and who presumably will also look more favorable to anything because they are a fan) and those who wait and are won over by the commercials and advertising and whatnot, who are likely more casual Apple users, if they use an Apple product. Makes sense though.

Posted by Jeff on October 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM (CDT)