NYT confirms: iPhone coming to Verizon in early 2011 | iLounge News

NYT confirms: iPhone coming to Verizon in early 2011

Following a lengthy report from the Wall Street Journal stating that Apple planned to start mass production of a CDMA-capable iPhone that would arrive on Verizon Wireless early next year, the New York Times has published an article claiming independent confirmation of the move. The report cites a single source who is said to be in direct contact with Apple, and who said that Apple is currently making a version of the iPhone 4 for Verizon. A separate report in the South China Morning Post, recounted by AppleInsider, has suggested that Apple would also offer the CDMA version of the iPhone on China Telecom some time in 2011, as the third-largest Chinese carrier uses the same 3G standard as Verizon Wireless.

« Apple receives ‘There’s an app for that’ trademark

iPad now available at select Walmart stores (Updated) »

Comments

It will be interested to see how many people join the mass exodus from AT&T.

Posted by franticnomad on October 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM (CDT)

@#1,

1) You can’t just bail - most have contracts.
2) Most people that have had cellphones for a while know there is no perfect carrier.  Some work in some places better than others, but I can tell you that at our business, we have access to all carriers and people still choose AT&T.
I did.  I have no issues most of the time, and it’s as good as T-Mo and Sprint in my area.  Haven’t tried Verizon yet.

Posted by sb on October 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM (CDT)

Meh. I left Verizon because of their more expensive data plans. When the iPhone makes its presence known on Sprint, I’ll snag one. Till then, I’m a lot happier with my HTC EVO than I thought I would be!

Of course, you can still have my iPad when you can pry it out of my cold dead hands…

Posted by Daniel S. on October 11, 2010 at 6:34 PM (CDT)

I’m in direct contact with a person high up in AT&T. There will not be a Verizon iPhone.

Posted by Justin on October 12, 2010 at 1:04 AM (CDT)

All your direct contacts and higher-ups @ATT/Verizon/Apple are belong to us anyways, so the will say what we tell them to say…....

Posted by Wayne on October 12, 2010 at 6:50 AM (CDT)

A while ago, I was really frustrated with ATT’s service.  I didn’t had that many droped calls or bad coverage but since a while now, i can say that it got better for me.  And I’m in columbus, Georgia.

I wanted to switch to Verizon because my co-worker talked big about them but i’m not so into them now anymoore.  I’m happy with ATT and who knows how the Verizon network will react when they receive an huge amount of data handling via iphone

Posted by Dennis on October 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM (CDT)

Yeah. They are definitely going to release it on Verizon. Will it hurt Blackberry? Sure.. Blackberry has been going to s*** for the last few years anyways.. Android? It will decline slowly. Apple are marketing kings, and their products are superior royalty. And, whoever said that Verizon won’t get the iPhone because Apple has a contract with AT&T is stupid. There is nothing in that contract that states that they cannot go to another carrier. Apple will do what they do best; conquer all.

Posted by Chase on October 19, 2010 at 6:40 AM (CDT)

I feel these Verizon rumors are put out by Verizon themselves to keep their own customers from jumping ship to AT&T and keep them hoping that Verizon will release the iPhone.  I am sure some day Apple will release an iPhone on Verizon but in my opinion, I dont think it will happen until 4g or LTE is widespread with Verizon.  Jobs said he would never make a CDMA phone, and as we know, when Jobs says something, he never admits he is wrong.

Posted by John on October 19, 2010 at 8:51 PM (CDT)