O2 announces U.K. Pay & Go iPhone 3G Pricing | iLounge News

O2 announces U.K. Pay & Go iPhone 3G Pricing

O2 has posted its iPhone 3G pricing for Pay & Go customers in the United Kingdom. The 8GB iPhone 3G will be available without a monthly contract for £299.99 (around $590), while the 16GB model will run £359.99 (around $708). Both models will include 6 months of unlimited browsing and Wi-Fi, benefits that will cost pay-as-you-go customers £10 per month afterwards. [via Mac Rumors]

« Telefónica: 300K iPhone 3G pre-orders in U.K., Spain

New Greenpeace report downgrades Apple »

Comments

Not a bad deal, considering they are only £30 more than the previous generation iPhones were with 18 month contracts.

I’ll be getting the 16GB in black.

Posted by tom.b on June 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

Not good enough for me.
6 months unlimited browsing then you have to cough up £10 a month thereafter? That does not spell “without a monthly contract” to me.
And what is the deal with “Minimum top-Up each month - £10-£14, £15-£29,  £30”?
This implies that you have to top up with a minimum EVERY month - this is a form of contract.

Just let me buy the damn phone with none of the catches…

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on June 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

Does that mean the phone would be unlocked or still locked to the O2 network?

I don’t know about the UK offerings specifically but I bought a prepaid SIM in Italy and could have bought one which for like 8 Euro a month would let you download up to a certain data limit.

I loaded one web page, which downloaded about 500-600 kbytes.  That amount of data cost me over a Euro of air time.

So the way they price data encourages you to sign up for plans, if you plan to do a lot of surfing.

That’s why I didn’t quite understand the clamor for 3G overseas.  While there may be more 3G networks overseas than in the US, the pricing was prohibitive.

Posted by wco81 on June 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM (CDT)

O2 have taken the pricing page down again.  Wonder if it was put up too early?

Posted by Mark on June 25, 2008 at 5:55 PM (CDT)

Will the 6 months free be available to people who inherit a PAYG SIM to put in an old 2G iPhone, or only people who actually buy a new 3G PAYG iPhone?

Posted by Mark McRobie on June 26, 2008 at 5:27 AM (CDT)

Seems like someone in the O2 interwebnetland department may have pressed the wrong button yesterday…
I have just been on the phone to O2 and they have had no information about the forthcoming Pay&Go; tariff for the iPhone 3G sent to them.
That is NO information.

I did manage to find out that in order to keep the free call minutes you have to top up with a minimum of £10 every month (which is standard with O2 P&G tariffs). The person I spoke to was unsure how letting this slip would affect the iPhone on P&G. On my current T-Mobile PAYG tariff there is no such requirement to top up every month. Mind you I don’t get any free minutes or texts, but that suits me.

I suspect that O2 will still be asking too much for me to spend the money on the iPhone 3G - at £659.99 for 18 months use if you factor in the continued unlimited browsing/wi-fi (which if you don’t, you may as well just have any phone) makes it only £40 cheaper than the 16GB on the £30 tariff.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on June 26, 2008 at 6:50 AM (CDT)

What “free call minutes” are you referring to?

Posted by Mark on June 26, 2008 at 8:36 AM (CDT)

Mark,
You have to ensure you top up with a minimum of £10-14 a month to keep the XX mins that the Pay&Go; tariff allows you. “Free call minutes” was probably a poor choice of description - sorry if it confused things.

The ‘plan’ for the iPhone 3G P&G, if you didn’t see it, looks similar to their current P&G tariffs (price wise) but you have to add in the extra £10 a month after six months for the browsing/wi-fi.

So from month six/seven you could be paying £20 just to have the bundled minutes/internet.

Trying to find my way around the various tariffs and bolt-ons that O2 have is just plain confusing.
You can have calls or texts but not both, unless you bolt them on at even more expense?

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on June 26, 2008 at 9:35 AM (CDT)

That’s ok then, the reason I ask is my boss wants a PAYG iPhone SIM to put in his wife’s 2G iPhone once she gets her 3G one, but he wants it purely as a data device, he’ll never use it for phone/text.

So am I right in saying he can just pay the £10 a month for unlimited data, and never need to “top up” other than that?

Posted by Mark on June 26, 2008 at 10:08 AM (CDT)

Mark,
I can’t confirm that - O2 are not able to either, from my call to them this morning.
Would O2 see that sort of use (unlimited data) as keeping the phone ‘active’ or would they insist on some top up? I did get the sense that if a P&G O2 phone is not used (as in topped up) after 6 months it is disconnected.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on June 26, 2008 at 10:32 AM (CDT)

Rob Levens,

I may be missing your point, but it appears you are largely complaining about nothing.

You’re happy to not get any free minutes with T-Mobile, yet you are complaining about having to top up £10-14 to get free minutes with O2.

Have you ever thought about not topping up £10-14 a month with O2? I mean, you won’t get the free minutes, but then you will be in the same place that you are with T-Mobile. Likewise for the data pricing. Just don’t pay the £10-14 per month, and do it by megabyte as it is now.

If I have this right, won’t it mean that you will be in the exact situation that you are in now, only if you happen to top up £10-14 a month anyway, you will get x-amount free minutes?

You talk about all the expense, but you seem unable to grasp the fact that you get something for it. Yes, O2 want you to pay £10-14 a month to keep your phone topped up. That money goes onto your credit. If you don’t use it that month, it doesn’t fade into the ether like on a contract phone. Plus you get incentives to do so, such as free minutes, free texts, etc.

To me, it sounds like you have more of a problem with O2 than the package itself.

For me it is a bad deal because I don’t see the point in paying £300 minimum on a phone. I saw in the supermarket the other day that you could get a pay and go phone for £15. Ok, it doesn’t have the features of an iphone, but if you’re going to go for something as extravagant, why not just go for a contract. At least then when it gets lost or stolen you’ll get better rates at having it replaced.

Posted by Barry on July 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM (CDT)

To me this deal is a good.
£10 for unlimited internet access - theres nothing wrong with that!! And as for the free texts or mins, that deal is fantastic, ive been on the deal myself, u top-up by 10-14quid and get 300 free texts (if u choose the text deal) then the 10quid u topped up with is still yours to spend on calls or whatever. the free texts are free, they jst ask u top up by a certain amount to get a certain amount of texts, their not asking for much. And you dont need to top up every month, if u miss ur top-up anniversary date, the next time u top up will become your new anniversary date, the free texts will run out after 30 days, so if you dont text a lot, then just top-up the mininum of £10, or choose the free mins!!! Simple.

Posted by Danny on August 7, 2008 at 1:59 PM (CDT)

P.S - how can this b a contract, if u dnt use the internet access just dnt pay for it!! I pressume u will all top up to use your phone anyway so they wont cut u off, and they dont cut you off until the sim has been inactive for around 3-6 months meaning you havent received or sent calls or texts.
Why do people moan about gettin something for nothing!!! People are sooooo strange, it frustrates me!!

Posted by Danny on August 7, 2008 at 2:03 PM (CDT)

I went into an O2 shop the other day and enquired about the iPhone 3G P&G;, and I was informed that the phone would cost around £350-ish and would be available around about christmas time (nice little present from apple :D). I was also told that you would be able to top up the phone just like any other phone without any additional charge for the internet use, as long as you topped up by a minimum of £10 p/month and still receive your text/call bonus. If this information is true, I believe that this is a extremely good deal compared to the contracts. however I have a concern that when the P&G;version is released you will not be able to get them for love nor money. :(

Posted by Moose G on August 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM (CDT)

spoke to o2 today about when iphone available and was told christmas too, which is good, thou i feel they will be sold out from word go. lets not hope so because i really want 1 .

Posted by s hinton on August 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

Just checking on o2 site and its coming out 16 Sept. 350 for handset with 12free internet… 10quid thereafter.

Posted by I Meah on September 1, 2008 at 12:37 PM (CDT)

will wifi still be free will 02 not charge to let peole use the wifi setting

Posted by unknown on September 3, 2008 at 9:51 AM (CDT)

hi when the iphone comes out on sept 16th as sim free from o2?
does that mean it comes unlocked and would be able to be used in south africa?

Posted by kimeshin chetty on September 7, 2008 at 6:26 AM (CDT)