O2 reveals UK iPhone 3GS pricing and launch details | iLounge News

O2 reveals UK iPhone 3GS pricing and launch details

O2 has announced its pricing and plans for the iPhone 3GS in the UK. New or qualifying customers choosing an 18-month contract will be able to purchase a 16GB model for between £87 and £185, depending on the tariff chosen, while the 32GB model will range from £175 to £275. On a 24-month contract, the 16GB model will be free with all except the £35 tariff—it runs £87 with that plan—while the 32GB model will be priced from £97 to £175. For Pay & Go users, the 8GB iPhone 3G will be £343, with the 16GB iPhone 3GS running £440, and the 32GB model costing £538.

The company has also revealed its pricing on tethering plans for the iPhone, which will run £15 on a month-by-month basis for 3GB of data, or £30 a month for 10GB; customers will be able to purchase extra data at the rate of £5 per 1GB. Business customers may sign up for 24-month tethering Bolt On plans, with the 3GB running £10 a month and a 9GB plan costing £20 a month. On a month-to-month basis, these plans will run business customers £13 and £24, respectively. Tethering plans, as well as the iPhone 3GS, will be available from June 19. [via Macworld UK]

« Rogers reveals Canadian iPhone 3GS pricing

Apple to allow iPhone, iPod touch iDisk access »

Comments

i just checked the price for the pay & go offer on o2 £538…... £538 no way i love the phone and 32gb is what i need i think ill just stick to my ipod touch 32gb and my nokia e71. i still dont know why apple hasnt allowed other carriers in the uk.

Posted by mikelarry85 on June 9, 2009 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

Those tethering rates are beyond ridiculous we get unlimited free Internet with the iPhone as it is on o2 anyway. Why should I be forced to pay an additional £15.00 a month on top of the £30.00 I already pay for the contract, just to enable me tether my laptop.

Posted by Johnathan on June 9, 2009 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

I have said it more than once, but Apple & their partners are doing nothing to tempt me over to the iPhone. I would love one, but it just feels like they are squeezing the last penny out of their customers.

As comment no.1 I am sticking with my Nokia and iPod Touch

Posted by Mime is Crime on June 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

I was looked forward to getting the new iphone, when it became avaialable, but with the absolute ridiculous pricing for MMS and internet tether.  I think Apple and 02 will be driving customers away.

Why don’t they give us a basic tethering package for free and cap it and if we need more we should be asked to pay a little extra.

Posted by henwi02 on June 10, 2009 at 1:38 AM (PDT)

Would like to know what the user in comment 4 means about ridiculous MMS pricing? Its part of your bundle, albeit 4 MMS = 1 SMS and after that 25p per message, the same as all other opertators, do you really send that many to make this ridiculous pricing? As for the tethering, I can see why O2 would add a bolt on, we get unlimited data now, the iPhone is extremly data hungry, so adding unlimited data from a laptop as well…anyone moaning should just get a mobile broadband deal which is more expensive!!

Posted by Gbrother on June 10, 2009 at 6:01 AM (PDT)

Has anyone considered that the reason for O2’s “smash and grab” behaviour is the they have failed to renew the licence to sell iphones with apple. In September it will have been 2 years. (I would assume the contract is year based)

Is this behaviour that of a company about to lose a lucrative contract and who is trying to get as much money from it’s customers knowing it is going to lose them. Why otherwise would they treat their loyal apple “fan” this way…?

Posted by dave on June 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM (PDT)