O2’s UK iPhone exclusivity to expire on Oct 9? | iLounge News

O2’s UK iPhone exclusivity to expire on Oct 9?

O2’s exclusivity deal for the iPhone in the U.K. is set to expire on October 9th, according to a new report. Claiming to have seen “documentation” regarding the deal, Mobile Entertainment reports that although the exclusivity agreement runs out in 2009, the carrier has the rights to sell the iPhone until 2012. In addition, the report sites unnamed sources that say the carrier may also retain sole rights to the recently launched iPhone 3GS. In recent weeks, rival carriers Orange and T-Mobile have reportedly been in talks to offer the iPhone 3G in the U.K.; T-Mobile also recently began offering iPhone 3G units imported from other countries where the phone is offered unlocked to disgruntled, high-paying customers threatening to leave the company. O2 has been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.K. since its launch in the country on November 9, 2007. [via Macworld UK]

« App Mix: TomTom, Pac-Man, Q*Bert, GoPayment

Latest iPhone 3.1 beta points to mystery product »

Comments

I hope that applies to Telefonica, 02’s owner, in Spain as well. Pitty that it isn’t the 3GS. There is just no viable upgrade path available in Spain from the 3G to the 3GS. In fact, calling the chaotic company gets me three different replies and options (from no problem to twice the original quoted price to impossible) all within 14 hours.

Carrier lock-in is the Achilles’ heel of the iPhone. I want to upgrade on my own schedule (or Apple’s) and not be locked in to a 24 month plan.

Posted by JS on August 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

I am happy with O2, but I think it would be good for everyone if the iPhone was available on other networks. I know some people who want an iPhone but are unwilling to leave their current network.
Also, more competition would hopefully mean better deals for everyone (cheaper monthly contracts, more subsidized prices, etc.)

Posted by James Mace on August 5, 2009 at 2:07 PM (CDT)

I was an owner of the original iPhone. My phone was unlocked on Orange UK for 2 years and I loved it. Never had a problem with Orange service, with internet, nor with the phone. I decided to take the dive and get an ‘officially’ approved iPhone by taking up an 18-month contract with O2 for the 3GS (the camera improvements were what got me) and I’m unhappy with the service. There’s something slightly inhuman about the whole thing and whenever anything goes wrong, hey talk to you as if they’re doing you a huge favour by letting you be on their network. In conclusion, I’m going to be switching back to Orange as soon as I can. They’re prices are better, their network is stronger and in my experience, their customer service is great. Not to mention how wonderful Orange Wednesdays are (for those who don’t know, you get 2 for 1 on the price of cinema tickets on wednesdays).

Posted by Dan Nicholls on August 6, 2009 at 8:44 AM (CDT)

One more thing:
The O2 network has failed twice in the past two weeks, causing me to either revert to Edge connection (which is HUGELY flaky on O2) or get no signal on 3G nor Edge. When this phone is my connection to work etc, that simply cannot happen and will be yet another reason why I will leave O2 ASAP.

Posted by Dan Nicholls on August 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM (CDT)

Have to agree with you Dan - I too left Orange for O2 because of the iphone but I miss Orange. The customer service was great and I think the network is much less flakey.
I also experienced the the problem with the O2 network which went down recently and unfortunately I was desperately trying to send an ultra urgent email at the time. In the end I had to head home to log in to my home computer just to get the email sent. At first I thought it was a problem with the phone but wnen I called O2 they admitted that the network was having ‘issues’.
Will definitely go back to Orange as soon as I can use my iPhone on their network.

Posted by Trash on August 8, 2009 at 7:38 AM (CDT)

Still not getting an iPhone until they are unlocked for any carrier. I positively hate that Apple tie into one carrier, and given the comments above, I am really glad I have not signed up.

Posted by Mime is Crime on August 10, 2009 at 6:50 AM (CDT)