Oakley debuts rubber iPhone case | iLounge News

Oakley debuts rubber iPhone case

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, May 23, 2008
News Categories: iPhone Accessories

image

Sunglass maker Oakley has introduced its new iPhone case, its first for the Apple handset. According to the company, the case is made from molded Unobtainium rubber, and features open access to the iPhone’s screen, camera, home button, and all other ports and controls, the ability to stand on its side for video viewing, and deep ridges on the sides and back for added grip. Available exclusively in black, the Oakley iPhone Case sells for $30.

image

« Last chance to enter Design the Next iPhone contest

Sony Pictures TV shows come to U.K. iTunes Store »

Comments

Ugh. Not good looking at all.

Posted by Dean on May 23, 2008 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

Yeah, it might be good if you dropped your iPhone off a mountain, but that’s it.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 23, 2008 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

You gotta love the “Unobtainium rubber”, though…  grin

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on May 23, 2008 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

YUCK, that reminds me of the old “Brick” Phones ...

Posted by chris on May 23, 2008 at 3:52 PM (PDT)

dear lord what is that hideous thing?

if you consider skydiving your iphone then that’s your case!

Posted by juan on May 24, 2008 at 6:57 AM (PDT)

I like Oakley products generally but this is an abomination. And with a new iPhone on its way, why debut this thing right now?

Posted by Flippy Hambone on May 24, 2008 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

All you people who are quick to call this design ugly should be aware that there is a segment of the video/film techie population that probably “gets it”. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Posted by Ben on May 25, 2008 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

Thanks for the insight, Ben. I think people generally are aware that opinions differ, but then again, ignorance is bliss.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on May 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

This case is definetly like it or hate it type of thing…but im in the middle haha

Posted by Aaron Ingo on May 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM (PDT)

I’m fully aware that opinions differ, but your point is well taken Flippy. I guess I should’ve just said that “Ugly is in the eye of the beholder”. James Jannard, the founder of Oakley, is doing some ground breaking work in extreme HD video. This iPhone case pays homage to the first product from Jim’s new company. My original comment was made because I think that some of the people who have been following this revolutionary camera will find the case design kind of cool.

Posted by Ben on May 26, 2008 at 4:01 AM (PDT)

I concur with Ben, I for one like the case and it is very reminiscent of Jannard’s new project/company RED. Its just a shame its out this late in the day as far as the first generations life span is concerned.

Posted by Johnathan on May 26, 2008 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

I’m sure Jim Jannard’s doing great things and is an innovator. This thing is just too bulky and too much like so many rubber/silicone cases cluttering the market right now. My biggest problem is that for a company that pioneers optics technology, Oakley could’ve really done something special instead of something so conventional.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on May 26, 2008 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

Wow, 12 comments?  If it were $50 or more I could see the protest.  But it’s just an other $30 butt ugly rubber case that’s cluttering the market.  Calm down people!

Posted by Mark on May 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM (PDT)

Mark, Oakley products have this effect on people. At times Oakleys fan base can be as devoted as Apples, in regards to their products.

Posted by Johnathan on May 28, 2008 at 3:02 AM (PDT)

The oakley case is nice!!!!! You can drop your phone and not worry about the screen shattering.

It is a little bulky but it well crafted.  I own one and I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trust me when u drop ur phone u wish you own this case.

Posted by john on June 6, 2008 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

Does the case grab like a tire, or is it a silicon rubber and smooth?

Posted by Doug on June 17, 2008 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

This is one SWEET. Case.  Seriously.

Posted by Flavius Minimus on July 31, 2008 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

bulky but i’ll get one B)

Posted by nabelrock on April 16, 2009 at 3:05 AM (PDT)

The case is awesome.  I like things that look powerful and extraordinary.  Who wants another pick/green/yellow etc…. case that everybody else has.  I’m glad no one else likes it…sheep…everybody wants to be a part of the herd.

Posted by Ramgoat on May 5, 2009 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

This case is in my opinion one of the best cases on the market. I’ve bought one for all three of the iPhones in my house. Everyone I know that’s held my phone or seen this in person admire it’s design. It’s like a G-shock watch case for your iPhone. I’ve dropped it numerous times and it’s done a good job of protecting it. I’ve been through many different kinds of cases, and this case has made me stop looking. It’s perfect. It feels naked without it, and like it’s gonna break when it’s in anything else.  Go to your nearest Oakley store and get one!!!

Posted by Edwin on June 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >