Open Letter to Apple Concerning the Mistreatment of Apple Customers | iLounge News

Open Letter to Apple Concerning the Mistreatment of Apple Customers

New open letter to Apple needs everyone to help spread the news. With a catchy Apple-Like “Think Differently” image, I spent hours in the hopes that classic iPod users will be heard!

If, somehow, everyone could unite and possibly contribute a dollar we might even be able to put this image on a billboard somewhere near Apple Headquarters in Cupertino, Ca. How we’d accomplish that I’m not sure, but sending this page to let everyone know about how we’ve been treated by Apple is a great start!

Ediotr’s note: The above ‘open letter’ regards the fact that Apple has not released iPod Software 2.0 and all its new features for Classic iPods.

« Mac: iTunes Tracker 1.0 Released

The Age: Disruptive delights of iPod »

Comments

stop being such a little brat.  If you dont like 1.3, get a new iPod.  THats the whole point of upgrades.  You have way too much time on your hands.

Posted by Rob on June 12, 2003 at 9:18 AM (CDT)

I agree. In addition, it’s entirely possible that the new firmware won’t work on the old ipods. Honestly, you want them to spend the money to deveop an upgrade of the old ipods for customers who won’t pay for it? That’s just dumb. The ipod does what you bought it for and more. It’s still just as good as it was 6 months ago.

Though, maybe you could get with all the .mac people and they’d contribute a dollar as well. After all, they wanted something for nothing, too. What a brilliant plan. Though I expect that everyone who wants the billboard is going to expect everyone else to pay for it for them. I mean, that’s what you’re expecting with this update, right?

Posted by Brian J. Geiger on June 12, 2003 at 9:36 AM (CDT)

Apple NEVER said they would keep the first two generations of iPods up to date with any new generation of iPods. Just like they never promised and never delivered the functionality of new Macs to the old Macs.

Hey Ford. Can you please make my 1965 Ford Galaxy functionally equivalent to the newest Mustang? Please? You’ve got to be kidding.

Posted by Sabon on June 12, 2003 at 9:41 AM (CDT)

Get over it!!!! That is why the other ones are Gen 1 & 2 and why the new ones are Gen 3. Damn why won’t my B&W G3 have the same functionality and features as the new FW800 Power Macs… damn iDVD won’t work I think I am going to get a billboard to make Apple support me in my cause… NOT!!!!

Posted by Davinche on June 12, 2003 at 9:48 AM (CDT)

You’re really being an a-hole. How dare they not keep improving your iPod after you’ve purchased it. Are there any major bugs that threaten the security of your data or the functionality of your iPod? No. THAT’S what those seven WinNT service packs were for, remember? What does you opinion of Mac OS X and how finished it was have to do with your iPod firmware? Your message is: Apple should give me free stuff because their four year old marketing campaign was “Think Different.” Bravo.

Why don’t you sell some of your graphic design talents and buy a new one like the rest of us did. you can probably get US $300 for your 20 GB on eBay.

Posted by cheesekeeper on June 12, 2003 at 9:57 AM (CDT)

I understand your feelings towards this situation and hope that some or all of the features come to the previous iPods in some way shape or form. I do think that you are being a little harsh, though in your use of the term obsolete. Webster’s dictionary defines obsolete as: no longer in use or no longer useful. Well I would hazard a guess that though many owners of the previous incarnations of the iPod, though may hope for and want the new features do not find their iPods “no longer useful” Do you? Webster have a second definition and if this was the use you intended it does fit a little more: of a kind or style no longer current. The previous iPods are not current, but in my opinion are far from truley obsolete. Current does not necessarily always mean 100% better than the old. So given the definition I would say your argument fails on that point, the previous iPods may not have the new features, but that does not make the obsolete, because they are still useful to the user.

I support the idea that the new iPod features come to the previous iPods in some way, but I do not personally support the tone that this letter or petition that has been set employs.

Purely my own thoughts and opinions. I respect you and everyone else for their own.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on June 12, 2003 at 10:09 AM (CDT)

The new iPod is nice, but it’s really only an incremental improvement over the old iPod. I mean, whereas the old—first—iPod was revolutionary, the new version is pretty much evolutionary. So I think you’re griping for no good reason, IMHO.

And actually—the nice thing about the new iPod isn’t the software—it’s the size. It’s a sleek, sexy little beast. On-the-go playlists are nice, yes, but you’ll survive without them.

I’ve got a new and old iPod, and they’re both superb little gadgets. But the old one works fine. The new one is nice, but if you’re just using the iPod to listen to music, both the old and the new gadgets play your music just fine.

If Apple is gonna spend time on anything, I’d rather them fix the clicking between tracks and tweak the battery life. I mean, us *new* iPod users are missing some basic stuff that was in the *old* iPod.

If anyone should write an “open letter” and complain, it’s the folks who have purchased the 3G models. (And don’t even get me started on Windows and MusicMatch support ...)

Posted by TuckerClerico on June 12, 2003 at 10:19 AM (CDT)

I think he raises some vaild points, but unfortunately, many apple/ipod users can’t “think differently” enough to even consider a criticism of mother apple.

Posted by jimlat on June 12, 2003 at 10:31 AM (CDT)

once you buy somthing it becomes obsolete.
just like a car you pay 25,000$
the minute you drive it off the lot its value drops way down
get over it wake up and just get a new one Damn

Posted by Phill in Texas on June 12, 2003 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

Actually….... I just spent 400 dollars on a brand-new 10 GB Gen2 ipod…... and then two months later, its completely obsolete?  I mean really.  You cant even find mention of the old generation on Apple’s ipod page.

As for your computer/car argument, that has nothing to do with anything.  There is no technical reason that the old iPods cant have on-the-go playlists/other games/song ratings/etc.  Obviously, your car cant be the same as a new one because not only is it 40 years old, but its completely different.  Same with your computer.  You knew when you bought it that something newer and faster would come out.  In the case of the ipod, its an mp3 player.  The new ones have nothing new in terms of hardware, except line-in capability and several other DIFFERENCES. They are not releasing 2.0 for “old” ipods simply because of marketing reasons. I say “old” because I bought this thing in FEBRUARY.  Apple cant actually expect me to shell out ANOTHER 400 dollars a few months later. They arent gaining anything by not releasing the software , they are only alienating their (ex) fanbase.

I dont know about you guys, but 400 dollars (for me) is a lot of dough.  I cant afford to upgrade all the time for NO REASON other than a greedy marketing department.  I’m perfectly happy with my iPod, and if something significantly better comes out, I will certainly buy it.  But I am NOT going to pay 400 dollars for solitaire and on-the-go playlist functions.  Again, Apple is gaining nothing from not releasing it except a lot of unhappy customers.

Please Apple.  This decision doesnt make sense and is only hurting you in the long run.

Posted by SuperCaptainJ on June 12, 2003 at 10:36 AM (CDT)

“They are not releasing 2.0 for “old” ipods simply because of marketing reasons.”

Prove it.

Where do you get that information? Because you think it’s true? Because you can’t imagine a reason other than marketing why it might be true? I can, because I’ve been there before. Sometimes you have to let the old hardware go, especially if people aren’t paying for the upgrades.

I mean, seriously, I’ve heard that claim from the first reporter who reviewed the iPod, and it’s a stupid claim without any supporting evidence. Let me try something….

“There’s no reason OS X has to use 512MB of RAM, except for marketing.”

Wow, that felt good.

“There’s no reason 56k modems can’t run at DSL speeds, except for marketing.”

Ooh, this is fun.

Posted by Brian J. Geiger on June 12, 2003 at 10:55 AM (CDT)

“What about his correct gripe about the 1.3 updater? Early May and June 12 are very far apart, and its still not available.”

This is perfectly reasonable. Why? What did the 1.3 updater add? Support for AAC files, thats it. What codec does MusicMatch NOT support? AAC. Apple has no reason to introduce a firmware update that provides a feature that is unusable to windows users.

You got what you paid for originally. Anything that Apple adds down the road (aside from bug fixes/features) is above and beyond the call of duty. Mac users got _free_ AAC support. Windows users will get it later when Win iTunes is available. Stop bitching. I’m not being an apologist here. You paid for a feature set and got it. You were happy with it. Now the new ones that came out later are better than yours. Why wouldn’t they be?

Just because I’ve got an iBook 800 and a few months later the 900’s come out doesn’t mean I should complain that I don’t have a 900 MHz processor for free.

As for whether or not there are significant differences in the hardware between the two iPods that would render the old ones unable to boot the new firmware, who knows. Apple may have adjusted the processor, memory, mainboard layout, and those may have caused stuff that runs perfectly fine on the new hardware to be broken on the old. Why should Apple invest more time and money in an EOL’ed product.

Why don’t you put the time you spent making the page, and the graphic you made into putting in some more hours on a project that’ll actually make you money. You will waste way more time than is necessary to do some work and buy a new one.

Posted by James on June 12, 2003 at 11:05 AM (CDT)

I just bought my sixth 5GB iPod on eBay. Kids love ‘em!

Posted by Doug Adams on June 12, 2003 at 11:26 AM (CDT)

Enough bickering.  Why doesn’t Apple just release an upgrade service for “old” ipods (which are in no way obsolete) and charge something like 20 bucks for it.  I am not going to pay 500 bucks for a playlist feature, but I would definitely pay $20 for better battery life, on the go playlists, customizable menus, etc.  Do we really know how and why Apple makes their business decisions?  I don’t work in their marketing department so I don’t, but it sure seems greedy to try and force existing customers to upgrade their entire unit if they want a couple new features.  How about a compromise, Apple?

Posted by Danstigator on June 12, 2003 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

For the most part, I’d have to agree with Rob for several different reasons.  First, the “usable” life of Apple products are years and years, however, the “new life” or “new factor” of Apple products is about 12-14 months max.  So you can generally expect their product to be outdated by something better (or upgraded, speed-bumped models) within a year.

You can still get at least $250 for a 20 gig iPod on ebay.  So, getting a new 15 gig would only cost $150 after the ebay sale.  It’d be 5 gigs less, but hey, life’s tough :)

Finally, not only do you get the updated firmware, but the sleeker and smaller design, remote, case and dock.  So it’s not like you’d be spending money just to upgrade the firmware.  Also, Apple has no obligation really to update anything for free, so at least they were nice and updated the old firmware to play AAC files.  But iLife?  Safari?  iSync?  I love the fact that their upgrades don’t cost anything, but nowhere does it say they have to continually update these products for free simply to make buyers happy… besides, would using a Archos Jukebox, eDigital Odyssey or Rio on Windows be better a better, friendlier, more compelling option?  I thought not.

Posted by Dave on June 12, 2003 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

I used to feel the same way. I was mad at Apple and wanted an update. But I saved my pennies and bought a new iPod because I knew my complaining would get me no where. So quit your complaining and just buy a new iPod. That’s all you can do to get the new features.

Posted by kainjow on June 12, 2003 at 11:33 AM (CDT)

Some thoughts:
In a year they’re going to make an even better iPod, and everyone’s going to be pissed that they spent money on something they love again.  I have an original 5g and I still love it . . .you can’t hate your child just because you see one at the park that can play football better.

It’s not like people with the new iPods are all that much better off than people with the old ones.  The new ones can play cards by themselves, the old ones don’t make noises between tracks.  The new ones can create track lists on the go, the old ones have an awesome design lay out and don’t look stupid.  The new ones have a clearer screen, the old ones actually work with windows.  The new ones are lighter, the old ones have buttons that don’t feel like lizard genitals.

Each generation has its charm and its merits.  Sure, having all those little cute ad ons like solitaire and on the go play lists would be cool . . .but how about getting a gameboy and thinking ahead instead?  This isn’t the end of the world people, lets not get all up in arms about it.

I bet that Canadian star wars dude they bought the 20g ipod for is bitching about the update right now . . .

Posted by Mike on June 12, 2003 at 11:37 AM (CDT)

baseless sour grapes. 1/2 of the letter talks about personal stuff, like how you were mad apple released the new ipod so close to your birthday.

maybe next time they should make sure it’s not released on anybodys birthday, shesh.

get over it, life is too short to look foolish like that.

Posted by Dean on June 12, 2003 at 11:53 AM (CDT)

I’m not satisfied with Apples’ support. For this reason the Ipod will be me first and last Apple product.

Posted by Ben on June 12, 2003 at 12:07 PM (CDT)

Mike wasn’t kidding about the one year release of new iPods.  There’s a website called Think Secret that has, so far, had a 80-90% reliability rate.  They’re usually right.  A few weeks ago, they ran this article:

Apple eyeing OLED displays for future iPods
By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

May 30, 2003 - Sources confirmed to Think Secret that Apple is investing in Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) technology, and is researching and investigating its uses in Apple products. The company reportedly plans to use OLED in next-generation iPods next year.
OLED devices are composed of two conductors with organic thin films in between them. These films emit a bright light when a current is applied.
There are a number of advantages to OLED that make it suitable for portable use, as discussed at this page. They are brighter, thinner, and lighter than LCDs, and do not require a backlight. OLED’s have a wider viewing angle, faster response time for video, and greater power efficiency than LCDs. They are also more cost-effective, with a simpler manufacturing process and fewer required parts.

Apple’s use of the technology will be for the display of its next-generation iPod. Set for announcement in early 2004, this iPod will boast a design and functionality radically different than current models. (Think Secret will publish a full report on this at a later date; If you have additional news to contribute, please contact us.)

Insiders also said that Apple is looking to expand OLED to its display line, or for its laptops, but that this isn’t feasible for the early-2004 time frame.

Here’s the link:  http://www.thinksecret.com/news/oled.html

Posted by Dave on June 12, 2003 at 12:19 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›