Open Letter to Apple Concerning the Mistreatment of Apple Customers | iLounge News

Open Letter to Apple Concerning the Mistreatment of Apple Customers

New open letter to Apple needs everyone to help spread the news. With a catchy Apple-Like “Think Differently” image, I spent hours in the hopes that classic iPod users will be heard!

If, somehow, everyone could unite and possibly contribute a dollar we might even be able to put this image on a billboard somewhere near Apple Headquarters in Cupertino, Ca. How we’d accomplish that I’m not sure, but sending this page to let everyone know about how we’ve been treated by Apple is a great start!

Ediotr’s note: The above ‘open letter’ regards the fact that Apple has not released iPod Software 2.0 and all its new features for Classic iPods.

« Mac: iTunes Tracker 1.0 Released

The Age: Disruptive delights of iPod »

Comments

Most company’s would release a tiny firmware upgrade for there loyal costomers to make them happy. Apple is just trying to stay afloat today but they are pissing off alot of customers over a tiny but important update.  Plus the new 2.0 firmware has all the features that we have asked for from day one… It’s a kick in the face to the people that supported them.  We built the 2.0 firmware in my opinion.  Apple could not have thought of a play queue on there own because only every other MP3 player in the world would have it as a must have feature.

Plus tring to sue Samsung over a player that does not look anything like an I pod.  If they did not make so many of there users upset over this update they would not have to worry about Samsung.  I will never own a Apple product again and the ipod was my first.

Posted by MusclePup on June 12, 2003 at 6:32 PM (PDT)

Instead of ######## all this ######## by both sides…

Why doesn’t a group of nerds just fricking CODE/HACK a new firmware… and put whatever the hell they want on there!!!!

They were able to make the macpod work on a PC… so I mean really… how hard can it be with the talent out there???

Posted by PoKnow on June 12, 2003 at 7:10 PM (PDT)

Dissenter, I paid as much as it would cost to buy a new 30GB for a 20GB without a que in February smile That means I paid the cash to be on top….they released a new iPod as I was enjoying the glory of being on top:) I’m sure you don’t have any idea what it’s like to never have something new. The iPod was my first big thing that I had that was top of the line. I just bought a Canon Powershot S400 Digital Elph. It came out in February and it’s already June and it’s still top of the line! No other tiny camera is even close yet. I paid the money recently. I didn’t even get enough time to enjoy my iPod fully before they released a new one.

PoKnow, is this the first post you’ve read here? I’m not being mean BTW, I’m being serious. People have posted here talking about how they’ve tried to crack it but it’s nearly impossible. Especially since Apple has kept quiet on the matter, as they do with everything. Also, I never said that Apple isn’t going to come out with the new firmware for us classic users, but they did post a Knowledge Base document that said that firmware 2.0 will not be available for older iPods.

Posted by zync on June 12, 2003 at 8:16 PM (PDT)

I do agree that my letter sounds whiny but it delivers it’s point well. That being that 1. Many people recently bought iPods and now are being screwed over and 2. why can’t Apple try to keep us happy. If they’re working on it, let us know so we’ll understand. If they’re not, tell us why. At this point I wouldn’t even mind it if they had a valid reason for not releasing the new update. But when they say nothing and then tell us we’re at least getting 1.3 and don’t even deliver on that, I get a little angry. Yes I do realize that “soon” is dependent on the situation, but when it was previously expressed that we’d get the update in early may and it became like may 12th and they change it to soon, you expect a small delay and a new firmware by the end of may. It’s June 12th and it still says soon. I don’t care what context, soon is never longer than a month. Apple was even quiet about 2.0 not being for us as well. Why are people quiet about things like that? They don’t want to relay the bad news, it makes them feel better than telling everyone “sorry to take your money loyal users who just bought iPods last week, but you’re going to have to find new firmware somewhere else, and oh, BTW, we’re not going to release any source either.” And thank you Aaron for your support. What they’ve done and how they’ve done it just isn’t right.

Posted by zync on June 12, 2003 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

Oh and BTW, Rob, the first guy to post, I have way too much time on my hands? How about people who make useless comments like yours. Yes I’m a brat, though I’m probably older than you are and the term brat refers to a young child who is spoiled. Since I bought my iPod with my own money I can hardly see calling me a “brat” correct. When I pay for something, especially something I’ve spent a lot of money on I expect to get great customer service, especially since Apple used to be great at that.

Posted by zync on June 12, 2003 at 8:20 PM (PDT)

BTW, Rob, I also have no time to spare in doing petty things like this against a big company such as Apple, but I did it with the hopes that people would support it, just as they did with the petition. I’m an artist so I have no time to spare so I thought I’d incorporate my opinion into a piece of art. I’m also highly satirical so there you go. The best of both worlds. I just wish I didn’t have to waste my time on it, because Apple should have worked on this long ago.

Posted by zync on June 12, 2003 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

Could we all settle down and get back on track here?  The biggest concern with the NEW iPods that nobody seems to be facing is that all the buttons feel like lizard genitals.  I mean, come ON people, I like music as much as the next guy, but why are we being forced to jerk off lizards to listen to it?

I mean, seriously, come on.
For real.
All jokes aside.
Lizard genitals.

Posted by Mike on June 12, 2003 at 9:02 PM (PDT)

OK.
Firstly, I am quite happy with my Gen2 iPOD. I say ‘quite’ because i believe there is room for improvement.

This is where firmware updates come in. Because the firmware *can be upgraded, if a problem or improvement *can be made, that is not directly related or caused or prevented by a hardware issue, then it can/could (should?) be implemented or fixed. Therefore, because it can be, it is only human nature that people will postulate (even demand)improvements/wishes/upgrades/fixes.

If the firmware was unable to be updated we would have to live with the issues etc of the iPOD. But it can be.

(BTW i believe, Apple’s policy of not telling anyone what they are or aren’t doing (or planning to do), makes people feel that they are being ignored, that their issues/problems are not important).

I am not demanding for my 10gigger to be magically transformed into a *new 10gig by applying a v2 firmware. But I would like my 10gig to be as good as it can be.

I personally would like to see these improvements (regardless of whether the firmware is called v2 or not), in order of preference:

>No more clicks betweens tracks.
>No more gaps between tracks.
>Improved EQ, especially bass boost, i need more wink.
>On the go playlists.

If all the above issues were addressed & fixed i would not care if another firmware upgrade for my iPOD was EVER released. Why would it need one? I don’t want the games etc. I bought it to listen to music…

Until then, even if the above list doesn’t happen, i will continue to use my (slightly imperfect) iPOD every single day, and very happily too.

Just my opinion..

Posted by NC on June 13, 2003 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

So it’s obsolete because a new one was released?

makes no sence. you bought an mp3 player and you got it.

Posted by Luis on June 13, 2003 at 12:53 AM (PDT)

People, please.  What about the reptile genital issue?

Posted by Mike on June 13, 2003 at 6:25 AM (PDT)

Does the old iPod suddenly NOT play music since the new ones came out?

I went out and bought my VW Jetta in 1997. The LAST model year before a redesign. Should I have gotten a free upgrade to a 1998 model when they came out 4 months later?

Just relax and enjoy your tunes. The iPod works great for that, as it was designed to.

Posted by James Bell on June 13, 2003 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

Are our arguments falling on deaf ears?

QUOTE:

” See how ridiculous you sound? This is the tech industry. Things change almost as fast as we can buy them. “
———————————————
That is exactly our problem! NOTHING HAS CHANGED!  The new ipod has almost identical hardware!  My complaint is that the ipods are easily capable of running 2.0, but Apple wont put it on them for Marketing reasons.  And these arent even very good marketing reasons; I dont want solitaire or on-the-go playlists enough to fork over another 400 dollars 2 months later.

And okay, people.  Enough with the car example.  We have already pointed out the ignorance of that example in previous posts.

Posted by SuperCaptainJ on June 13, 2003 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

PoKnow, I sold my canon s120, bought the s230 (when it was the sh!t) and like 2 months later… the s400 is born.

you just got lucky.

BTW, these are the best compact dig cameras there are… bar none.

Posted by aaron on June 13, 2003 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

For every one with a 1st or 2nd gen. ipod let me aproach this from a different angle.  I have bought 3 ipods to date.  I don’t think Apple should release the new firmware because I PAID FOR THE PRIVLEGE to have the new features.  I have paid over $1400 to Apple in the last year.  If Apple releases the new firmware for classic ipods then what makes mine so special?  Don’t say the shape or the dock because I paid with less battery life for those features.  Classic ipods, in my opinion, would be better than the new ones because they would have all the features AND longer battery life.  How is that fair?  Most 3rd gen. ipods have been sold to existing ipod owners so who should Apple be more loyal to.  The customer who has only bought 1 ipod and will never buy another as long as free upgrades are available OR the customer who has bought several ipods and will continue to do so as future models are released? I bought the new ipod because I wanted something exclusive.  You are welcome to join the club as soon as you pay your membership dues the same as every other 3rd gen ipod owner has. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by cougardew on June 13, 2003 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

Cougar, how long did you enjoy being on top with your iPod? I gurantee that with owning three you’ve had it way longer than I have at only four months. I will buy another iPod eventually but as a college student I don’t have enough money to just fork over $1400 to Apple. I don’t even understand why anyone would need more than one iPod of the same generation. BTW, I didn’t complain that I bought a ‘98 Mustang and then they restyled and added 40 HP to the engine. Car examples are useless, the technology doesn’t evolve that quickly! And no offense but you knew the next model was coming out. I did not. You could’ve waited. See how ridiculous you sound? Car != iPod sorry…..

Posted by zync on June 13, 2003 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

With my 5gig I was at the top for about 2 months before the 10 gig was introduced.  I sold the 5 gig and then bought the 10 gig.  I was on top with the first gen 10 gig for maybe 6 months before the 2nd gen ipods were released.  As you can see I wasn’t “on top” for very long with either of my first 2 ipods.  As for the car thing… I don’t know what you’re talking about because I didn’t make any comparisons to any car.  Maybe you should read my post again. You said ” No offense but you knew the next model was coming out”  How did I know a 3rd gen ipod was coming out?  I didn’t.  I found out when ipod lounge broke the story.  I can understand that a college student may not have the money to buy a new ipod every 6 months but that’s not Apples fault.  I’m not a lawyer and I can’t afford a BMW, so what, that’s nobodys problem but mine.  Can you really not afford it or do you just not want to pay $400 for a software upgrade?  I feel that I, and everone else who bought a 3rd gen ipod, deserve to be “on top” for more than a month.  You got 4 months and are complaining.  If Apple releases the new firmware in June or July the 3rd gen owners will get less time at the “top” than you got with your 20gig gen 2 model.  You don’t seem to care at all about that.  It sounds like you just want what YOU want, when YOU want it.  3rd gen owners paid money for the same extras that you want for free.  Why should you get for free what I, and others, had to pay for?  You’re not even an early adopter that supported Apple in the “early days” of the ipod.  5gig owners may be able to say they are but you have a 20gig so you were not an early supporter of the ipod.  You never answered my question so I will ask it again.  Who should Apple be more loyal to?  You and your supporters who will never buy a new ipod as long as new upgrades are available for free, or, People like myself, who have bought multiple ipods and will buy the 4th gen when it is released?

Posted by cougardew on June 13, 2003 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

i got it for half a year i think you deserve a year on top, and anyway i believe apple should be loyal to the customers and they will be loyal in return (im talking about firmware of course) so perhaps thats why i believe they should, and about the longer battery issue read the article on ipodlounge about how it really isnt because the new ones use it more effeciently

Posted by lakerslover on June 13, 2003 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

How are 1st and 2nd gen ipod owners being loyal?  You don’t want to pay for an upgrade that 3rd gen owners had to pay for.  Most 3rd gen owners are, or were, owners of 1st or 2nd gen ipods. 3rd gen owners, for the most part, have show their loyalty by purchasing multiple ipods.

Posted by cougardew on June 13, 2003 at 3:44 PM (PDT)

i realize that but sure they also payed for a smaller ipod with a new design, but i think we are entitiled to the update also because we payed 100$ more

Posted by lakerslover on June 13, 2003 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

Cougar, I’m sorry for the confusion. I was replying to many people as well as you. And still 1st gen and 2nd gen 10GB aren’t all that different. But by buying a 10GB you weren’t really on top anyway because the 20GB then came out. Sorry for the confusion once more smile

Posted by zync on June 13, 2003 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >