Open Letter to Apple Concerning the Mistreatment of Apple Customers | iLounge News

Open Letter to Apple Concerning the Mistreatment of Apple Customers

New open letter to Apple needs everyone to help spread the news. With a catchy Apple-Like “Think Differently” image, I spent hours in the hopes that classic iPod users will be heard!

If, somehow, everyone could unite and possibly contribute a dollar we might even be able to put this image on a billboard somewhere near Apple Headquarters in Cupertino, Ca. How we’d accomplish that I’m not sure, but sending this page to let everyone know about how we’ve been treated by Apple is a great start!

Ediotr’s note: The above ‘open letter’ regards the fact that Apple has not released iPod Software 2.0 and all its new features for Classic iPods.

« Mac: iTunes Tracker 1.0 Released

The Age: Disruptive delights of iPod »

Comments

Well Cougar, I payed $501.83 for my iPod. I dont’ know how much the 5GB originally cost but I don’t think it was that much more. There are two reasons I’m not an early adopter: 1. I didn’t know the iPod existed because I wasn’t a mac person and 2. I wouldn’t have had the money if it weren’t for my scholarships. And yes, I DON’T have the money to buy another one, besides the fact that I don’t like the redesigned version. I only got my iPod for two reasons: 1. I wanted it and had some scholarship money and 2. I needed a 20GB firewire drive for an electronic media course. I don’t have that kind of money, sorry….I work at a Target, that means no income. Plus I’m 19 and I pay car insurance and my car payments, and usually my parents help with the insurance, but I still owe them the money. I live in the boonies and I have to go at least 40 mi. to get back to the friends I went to Highschool with, my college, and my girl. So, no, I’m sorry, I simply can’t afford another iPod. It was a stretch to even get the one I own.

Posted by zync on June 13, 2003 at 10:51 PM (CDT)

And I never said I wanted free updates and I wish you people would pick up on that. I said I’d be willing to pay. And damnit, I paid for features just as much as a person who buys a new 30GB, I feel that having bought a 20GB so soon before the switch I deserve the features for the 10GBs I’m missing. I’m not even complaining about that. I’m not even complaining about the games or the customizeable menus. I just want the damn playlists. That’s all I’m about. Every other MP3 player on the market has them. I paid about $200 more than the market was charging for some of the most expensive players. I deserve the playlists. Maybe not the rest but the playlists. And I assure you, even if I had the money to buy another iPod I wouldn’t waste it on that. They’re not even that radically different to buy a new one. I already have 20GBs that I can’t fill up so why have 50 with an uglier iPod?In the future I would probably buy a new one, but buying one every four months is just crazy. Even one a year is crazy. I don’t need a new one until I either want it or mine stops working. You can’t say I’m not loyal for that reason. Would you buy a new laptop every month? Or hell, let’s go to a car example since they seem so blatantly relevant to some of you people…..would you buy a new car every year? Or every time they add 10 HP to the engine and nothing else? I didn’t think so. So why buy a new iPod every couple of months? I don’t even think Apple expects that to happen. And not everyone buying gen 3s is a previous customer. How would you even know that? It’s not like Apple publishes sales figures of repeat customers. If they did they’d have to ask you if this was your first iPod, and I don’t remember anyone ever asking me that about my gen 2 iPod. And please don’t call me disloyal to Apple, I plan on getting a Powerbook and I just fixed up a Powerbook Duo 230 from two parts computers the other day. I just want what I’ve paid for.

Posted by zync on June 13, 2003 at 10:51 PM (CDT)

Correction:

Two posts above this I said I don’t think the 5GB cost that much more, I meant I don’t think the 5GB cost more than what I paid for my iPod.

Posted by zync on June 13, 2003 at 10:53 PM (CDT)

to cugardew… apple is a hardware company. when you purchase a product from appel you are purchasing their hardware. they have always had upgrades to their operating systems for *free*... untill now. I have three macintosh computers. two of them are fully functional useful *upgraded* mac classics. apple had many many upgrades to this line. this is what i’ve come to expect from apple. however i purchased a new imac with os X. then jaguar came out and for a brief time they allowed an upgrade for 26 dollars… i didnt like it because they got rid of the happy mac in the bootsequence so by the time i got over that they were charging full price for jaguar. now, mind you osX might as well have been a beta for i has not the quartz engine or many many features that the finished jagura has. i was dissapointed but i bought my 2nd generation ipod anyway. for windows users they have been promising an upgrade to a newer firmware for may… and my friend it is may no longer. i have covered my ipod in duct tape except for the screen because i am embarassed to have supported a company that was so good about upgrades and is now not. about your purchase: you are selfish. you bought a new machine, not new firmware. you payed for a larger harddrive, better screen, uglier interface buttons, and according to you, less battery life. you did not purchase firmware. this is what an ipod is: a device of convenience.. if you want to lie to yourself. for roughly 5oo dollars you get to rip all your cd’s, re ID3 them and send them to this nifty little machine. you save space because you dont have to carry your cds but you have to painstakingly make sure you have a place for your new shiny little toy, because even the tag in the case it came in will scratch it. after i bought my ipod, i of course had to tell everyone about it. most of the people i know are fairly wealthy tech junkies and 2 other people bought them because of what i told them… now i will not say the same and i will not buy another macintosh computer. macintosh now pushes their product rather than standing behind it like it used to.

Posted by bob on June 13, 2003 at 11:18 PM (CDT)

So it’s obsolete because a new one was released?

makes no sence. you bought an mp3 player and you got it.

By Luis on Jun 13, 03 2:53 am

Well Apple considers it thus so why can’t I? New models of anything usually render the old obsolete especially when they discontinue the previous line. That’s what obsolete means!

Cougar and everyone else who told me to check my box to see what features I got and if they still worked remember this: the box did not say this device will ony support system 1.3. Yours didn’t say it will come will v.2.0. You paid for hardware, NOT firmware. And as a matter of fact, had you bought a 30GB you paid less than what I did and got a better piece of hardware despite it’s ugliness. The features such as on the go playlists and things of that nature aren’t listed on the box.

Posted by zync on June 13, 2003 at 11:19 PM (CDT)

to cugardew again… i just read your comment about not being a lawyer and not driving a bmw, but having spent 1400 dollars on ipods. i drive a bmw… and if i wanted to i could go out and buy a new ipod every time they came out with one… but i will not. it’s not about money, it’s not about being on top… there are new features that i would like but i’m perfectly happy with my ipod, except for the fact that they have not released the firmware they promised gen 2 in may. the first gen ipods have the same firmware as mine, i’m glad they got the upgrade, i wish they got an upgrade to firware 2. anyway, think logically about this: how much would it cost to port an operating system to another platform nearly identical to the one it’s on? not much. this would keep customers happy… which seemed to be important to apple to begin with. giving me the new firmware does no harm to you other than denting your self esteem, which seems to be directly linked to the superiority of your ipod over mine, and which you have payed dearly for. take money out of the picture… i still use my mac classics. that is not to say i dont have a new iMac, it means that i still enjoy using my mac classics. why would someone go with mac? they’re pretty, their hardware is faster, but they really dont do unless you’re talking budget graphic manipulation where they’re the machine of choice… the main reason is that apple puts out a good product and cares about its users… mac users used to be a community, now all they seem to do is complain about someone who wants apple to be as they were…

Posted by bob on June 14, 2003 at 12:18 AM (CDT)

Cougar, I also noticed that BMW line. I have a question. If you can’t afford a BMW, and I’m assuming you’d like one since you mentioned BMW specifically, maybe if you spent $1000 less a year on frivolous iPods you’d be able to buy one. Also what difference does it make if I have the same firmware that you do? If you bought 2 5GB iPods I still paid nearly as much as you did with my one 20GB. I don’t remember which gen 3 iPod you purchased but I don’t recall it being the 30GB and you know what, why don’t I just say you don’t deserve v 2.0 because you didn’t pay as much as me. That’s what you sound like. You bought a 5 and a 10, and while that’s nice I paid for a 20. According to your system that makes me better than you. Hell, why don’t we give firmware out according to what you paid. Or according to what generation your iPod is from. How about that? Yeah that means my 20GB deserves a higher firmware version than your 5 and your 10. Does that really make sense? You paid for hardware. I’m perfectly happy with my hardware, I don’t even care that much about gaps between tracks because that’s to be expected. But on the go playlists are something that is expected. Firmware 2.0 is to be expected for everyone. Not just gen 3 users. You’d think that you’d think different, especially having an iPod from each generation, and want everyone to share in the joy you have in v2. You’d even think that being an apple/mac person would make you want other apple/mac people to be happy. Remember there will also probably come a point when a 3rd version of the firmware revision will be released and you’ll be left out in the cold, that is if you don’t buy that BMW but buy another iPod, just as we are. It’s funny to see all the people that call me, and my friend who is Bob BTW, whiners and complainers are only owners of gen 3 iPods. Sorry, but the gen 1&2 people realize that we’ve been downtrodden. And to people like you, who have gen 1 or 2 iPods along with gen 3 ones, shame on you for wanting to deny us firmware upgrades. When your firmware stops being upgraded, and I’m not saying ours has for sure, you’ll be singing a different tune.

Posted by zync on June 14, 2003 at 2:44 AM (CDT)

You know what? No one would have anything to say about this if it were a laptop and not an iPod. Why? Because a new would would actually be a lot better. My iPod is just as expendable as a laptop to most of you. How often do you buy a laptop? I need my iPod to last that long and perform as it should. Computers get regular updates and their only limit is the hardware. That’s all I ask of my iPod.

Posted by zync on June 14, 2003 at 2:58 AM (CDT)

If you can find me a BMW for $1400 a year I will stop buying ipods.  You missed my point.  My point is that just because you can’t afford to upgrade doesn’t entitle you to free upgrades.  Zync, you should read closer before posting because I did buy the 30gig gen 3 ipod.  I bought the 5gig when it was the only ipod.  I bought the 10gig BEFORE the 20gig was available.  If you read a little closer you would have seen that i said the 10gig was gen1.  Zync, you said that I will be singing a different tune when Apple stops supporting my 30gig gen3 ipod.  You’re right, I will be singing the praises of my new 60gig gen 4 model, not complaining that Apple doesn’t support my 3rd gen.  Bob, my self esteem won’t be dented when Apple release the new firmware.  You may be different, but most people I know who own exclusive cars, like BMW, do so, at least in part, for status.  So excuse me for having paid for that and wanting to keep that “status” for a little while.  I’m really not the elitist that some of my posts sound like.  Just like I’m sure most of the people who want the free upgrade aren’t babies or any of the other names that have been thrown around.  I’m just trying to show people another way to look at this subject. I haven’t resorted to name calling because I feel my view has merit.  Just for the record, Apple will HAVE to release the new firmware the first time they do an update for the 3rd gen ipods.  1st and 2nd gen ipod owners will be able to download it off the Apple site for free just like the 3rd gen owners.

Posted by cougardew on June 14, 2003 at 8:34 AM (CDT)

Cougar maybe you should read closer to my posts. I said first of all for the millonth time, I never said I wanted a free update…I said I was willing to pay. Secondly, I also said I didn’t know which iPod you said, therefore I didn’t misread you post, I just didn’t bother to go and find it because I still have a better point than you do and your size iPod doesn’t detract from my point. iPods are hardware and nowhere does apple claim the features of the firmware as the features of the iPod. Have you ever noticed that? They talk about how many songs are on it and how easy it is to use and how long the battery lasts. All hardware issues. For the record, by saving $1400 a year for a few years you will have a sizeable downpayment fitting enough to make a BMW affordable. Furthermore, my friend with the BMW, and the people who truly like BMW, don’t just buy them for the “status,” they buy them for the performance.

Posted by zync on June 14, 2003 at 11:56 PM (CDT)

Cougar, also the “status” given to you by your iPod can still be enjoyed if I have 2.0 on my classic. That doesn’t effect you one bit. I’m not sure who you said has resorted to name calling, but I haven’t to this point as it’s not pertinent to make a good argument and totally irrelevant to the matter at hand. I’m not sitting here whining about wanting something for free and I want people to understand that. Sure, I’d like it for free because I’ve already paid $500 four months ago, but I’d be willing to pay a small fee for an upgrade. And I was thinking about Apple giving us firmware 2.0 after the first gen 3 update but since us windows users still haven’t gotten 1.3 yet, I’m not quite so sure that’ll happen anymore. BTW, most of the truly rich people who buy cars like BMW, and Mercedes, and all of those things are usually modest people who don’t really care to be flashy. One of my friends was extremely rich, his dad bought him a mercedes when he was 15, and since then he’s a had a Jag or two and probably a Porsche, and through all that time I knew him, he’d never admit to having A LOT of money. Hell, he even worked at a KMart because I guess he just wanted to feel more normal, or not like he was mooching off his father. Anyways, you’ve paid a lot of money just as I did, if your iPod were replaced in 3 months would you be happy about it? And for anyone who says my iPod is not obsolete read the large caps below:

OBSOLETE DOESN’T MEAN THAT IT NO LONGER WORKS. THAT’S CALLED BROKEN. OBSOLETE MEANS THAT IT HAS BEEN EITHER REPLACED BY SOMETHING NEW, BETTER, OR HAS ALTOGETHER BEEN DISCONTINUED. MY IPOD WAS BOTH REPLACED BY SOMETHING NEW AND DISCONTINUED. IT IS OBSOLETE.

Posted by zync on June 15, 2003 at 12:06 AM (CDT)

I’m probably going to sell my 2G 10GB and get a 3G 15GB since Apple has the buy a laptop and an iPod and get $200 off deal for students.

I would expect Apple to update the older iPods’ software.  I mean, this isn’t a $30 CD player, it’s a $300-500 investment, and alot of money to most people.  While it’s grand that some people give such ardent support for Apple, I think it goes beyond comprehension.

I mean, what if it would’ve taken them a week to add in support for my G4/400 to Jaguar, but for some reason they didn’t do it?  Too bad, ts…buy a new Mac even though we could’ve made it work?  (Jaguar runs perfectly for me, btw, it was just the simplest example I could think of. :)  )

I’d love to have on the go playlists and song rating.  Hell, even Microsoft is supposedly about to give me the PocketPC 2003 update for free for my Toshiba e310.  What once was old is now new again.  This update would cost Apple practically nothing, they’re just suckering people into buying more iPods.  It’s called the “Sony strategy.” :p

Posted by Gakusei on June 15, 2003 at 1:59 AM (CDT)

i also want to sell mine, but are the new ones (yes i have felt and used one) really lighter than two cd’s? it sure doesnt seem like it

Posted by lakerslover on June 15, 2003 at 11:18 AM (CDT)

This whole argument is pointless.  People with Gen1 and Gen2 ipods paid for a feature set and got what they paid for.  IF apple are kind enough to provide us with FREE updates for our Gen1 and Gen2 ipods, then thank you apple.
APPLE DID NOT PROMISE TO UPDATE YOUR IPOD - why are you whining that they aren’t.

I have a 10G Gen2 ipod for windows.  Purchased in Jan03 for 329 uk pounds (about $550) and i am very very happy with it.  It does MORE than what I paid for.

I hope v2.0 software is released for my Gen2 ipod - I dont think I am entitled to it like some ppl.

Posted by Mitsurugi on June 15, 2003 at 5:36 PM (CDT)

Damnit, Mitsu, did you not read my post? I specifically said that I don’t feel entitled to it. Look above. I SAID I’D PAY FOR IT. I don’t want to because I don’t think I should have to having paid $500 in february, but if that’s what it takes I’d pay for it. HAD THEY OFFERED AN UPDATE SERVICE WHEN I BOUGHT MY IPOD I’D HAVE PURCHASED IT. I’m tired of having to repeat things for you people. If you’re going to post at least read what we’ve all said before sounding ignorant. Secondly, I didn’t pay for a firmware feature set as I said above. I like every other iPod owner, bought hardware. Lemme quote myself for you since you obviously didn’t read what I said.

“iPods are hardware and nowhere does apple claim the features of the firmware as the features of the iPod. Have you ever noticed that? They talk about how many songs are on it and how easy it is to use and how long the battery lasts. All hardware issues.”

Also refer to the following:

“I said first of all for the millonth time, I never said I wanted a free update…I said I was willing to pay.”

Please don’t disgrace one of my favorite Soul Caliber character’s name by not reading what I’ve written then replying with the same thing everyone else has said, which I’ve already refuted at least 25 times.

Posted by zync on June 15, 2003 at 9:08 PM (CDT)

As an outside observer, who only owns two apple products (both from the mid 90s) and nothing current.  Regardless of the topic of discussion.  zync, you are in fact a whiney child.  I really doubt YOU paid $500 for an iPod.  Your mommy and daddy on the other hand, obviously they have enough money to waste it on a spoiled brat like yourself.  I bet this hurts your feelings (go ahead, post and tell everyone it doesn’t, you’re only lying to yourself, you KNOW the truth), I’m sorry I have to do that, I don’t like doing that, but I’m not sure what else will make you realize what you’ve said.  Go back and re-read everything you said, and TRY, and I really do mean TRY, to look at it from an outside point of view.  It’s embarassing isn’t it?

And just because I’m a dick, Mitsurugi was the CHEAPEST character, he was the Ryu and Ken of the Soul games, hardly any skill required to play as him, just basic fighting game knowledge.  I bet Haomaru was your favorite Showdown character too huh?

Posted by Billy on June 16, 2003 at 3:47 AM (CDT)

This type of discussion has always seemed off-target to me…

I’ve had my G2 20GB WiniPod for nearly a year now.

Since Apple’s implementation of OTG PlayList is so flawed as to be nearly useless (if you don’t understand what I mean, try reading some of the threads in the forum!), there is actually very little functionality in the v2 firmware that I find desirable, though I do like the updateable ratings.

In other words, I can live without having the v2 firmware translated for my G2 iPod.

What I don’t understand, is why I seem to be the only WiPod owner who is upset by Apple’s failure to fix the WiPod firmware bugs?!?!

When I bought my WiPod, I fully expected it to have the same functionality as the MiPods.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that not only were some functions not working correctly on my WiPod, but some had been deliberately disabled!  But I assumed that Apple had simply rushed the WiPods out the door early, and would fix these issues with a later firmware upgrade.  Now I find that not only has nearly a year gone by, but Apple has actually replaced my iPod with a newer model.  It now seems like Apple had no intention of ever fixing these bugs! (For a complete list of these bugs, please do a search on the Windows iPod forum)

I really don’t understand why more WiPod owners aren’t upset by this betrayal.

I do believe in “Voting with my Wallet”, so, unless Apple fixes this situation, the iPod will be the first and last Apple product I ever own.  And since I still have a couple of weeks left on my warranty, I’m considering trying to get Apple to either fix my iPod or refund my money!

Now that’s a petition I could get behind!

Posted by IDSmoker on June 16, 2003 at 1:33 PM (CDT)

Billy, unlike a childish little kid playing many games like showdown, I happened to do other things during my teenage life. I only played Soul Calibur because I bowled and we’d play that before league play, but I much preferred pool. That iPod was paid for by me, if you’d like to see the receipt for it with my debit card number on it and my debit card itself I’d show you if that would prove it but I have nothing to prove to you, especially since I’m not going to just post a graphic of my card on the net because of identity fraud, however I believe the receipt does have my name on it so when I get my digital camera back I’ll take a picture of it. My parents pay for jack squat because they don’t have college educations and lots of money just so you know. Oh and BTW you’re an ass. Do you honestly think some internet twit will really hurt my feelings. Call me a whiney baby, call me a brat. Ask anyone who knows me, like Bob. I just want what I pay for because I don’t have lots of money to spend but I do pay for every damn thing I own, so instead of sitting at home on your ass, why don’t you do something productive so you don’t have to complain where you don’t belong. And, BTW, if you think I don’t work, remember I post on here usually at 2:00 AM eastern, after I get home from work. Don’t ever come on here and talk about someone as if you know them. How dare you say that about me.

ID, I’m also angry about the bugs. Like when I go to play a song and the one after it plays.

Posted by zync on June 16, 2003 at 3:41 PM (CDT)

Also, Billy, looking back at my posts I’m proud. Do you know why? I didn’t sound whiny and I certainly did not embarass myself. Neither did anyone who posted in my favor. Why? We all had the best points. No matter what anyone has said I’ve come back with a better response. Not only that, but you people have also replied with the same thing over and over ad infinitum. You do realize that in any form of debate (not that I was on a debate team BTW, though speech was a required class at my highschool) repeating your points is a sign of a weak argument. I’ve been not only non-repetitive in my replies to the same topics but also innovative with my own arguments. You’ve said the same thing as many other people on this post and you know what? You’re no more correct than they are and believe me, they weren’t.

Posted by zync on June 16, 2003 at 6:14 PM (CDT)

Billy, having not even bought an iPod you’re one to talk about someone not spending their own money. Why would I lie in an open letter to a company about using my scholarship money in which I complain about them not being open to us. My parents work long hours many days a week just to pay for their cars and our house. I wish they had the money to pay for my iPod. Don’t you think if my parents were those kind of people I could just ask them to buy me another one? If they’re so loaded as you think why don’t I just go try that instead of taking my time to write what I did, make what I make, and post here. Please, if you can’t stop trying to think you know me, at least make your arguent make sense.

Oh yeah, BTW I used HWANG.

Posted by zync on June 16, 2003 at 6:58 PM (CDT)

Page 4 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 >