OSNews: iTunes for Windows Speed Not Acceptable | iLounge News

OSNews: iTunes for Windows Speed Not Acceptable

“So far, so good. I found no glitches with the application or its stability. Except one thing: its UI speed. For the life of me, I am almost unable to resize the iTunes window (with visual effects OFF no less)! Its window UI is almost unresponsive. Menus and native-windows-looking alerts are responsive and fast, however the metal interface is just unusable here. I can’t easily resize the application, and with difficulty I can scroll the scrollbars in the store or the Library! After many attempts, I managed to get the window size down to about 640x480 and then the application did become more responsive and workable. But on a normal ~1024x1000 window, it is just unusable. There are times I can’t even move the whole window across the screen! Note: I am not talking about playback (which works fine with no performance issues), or when in mini-mode: I am talking about scrolling/resizing the app when the window is in normal mode and bigger than 800x600. Resizing the window when in “Music Store” is almost impossible here! Update: Upgrading to the latest graphics drivers didn’t help. “

« MacMice Releases DockCover

QuickTime Video of Apple Music Event Now Available »

Comments

The speed was the biggest turn off for me. It’s unacceptable, especially considering how much of a memory hog it is. Good thing the Winamp 5 beta is out.

Posted by Chad on October 17, 2003 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

Works great on my work PC. 2.4GHz PIII, NVidia GeForce 4Ti4400/128MB, 512MB RAM.

Posted by SteveMeister on October 17, 2003 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

I agree!
It’s a resource hog.
I got it to run but i had to disable a lot of its features.

Posted by scins on October 17, 2003 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

Works PERFECT with my HP6000 PIII 700MHZ 512mb Ram laptop. It’s amazing to enjoy such a good piece of software, so intuitive, so nicely done. No problem on resizing it, at all. So far, so good… no bugs since yesterday’s download, sure it’ll have some, but…
GOOD thing MusicMatch is GONE!

Posted by guillermo on October 17, 2003 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

Ya, I have no problems either. Go figure

Posted by sych0 on October 17, 2003 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

No problems here. P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM. I had none of the issues described.

Posted by DrWebster on October 17, 2003 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

There are NO problems with it on my XP1800 with GF4 Ti4400. I resize and move the window with no trouble. This is a real dream after years with Winamp and MM.

Posted by BigDaddy on October 17, 2003 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

no problesm here either. 1.8 p4

Posted by bababooey on October 17, 2003 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

No problem moving windows on Dell laptop c400 1.2Gig with 512 megs. This guy is smoaking.. I think this comes down to hardware, not the software.

Posted by birdstep on October 17, 2003 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

I’m running it on a dual monitor P4 1.8Ghz (Matrox Millennium 550 vidcard) at 2304*862… I tried dragging it to full screens (or as close as possible)

There’s some delay while resizing, the app skips along a bit behind the mouse, but nothing obscene. It’d be nice if they had dumped the most asanine bits of the OSX interface for the windows version, though (being able to grab only the lower right corner for resizing and the maximize that doesn’t actually maximize)

I did have a lot of conflicts with my ipod manager software. iTunes kept locking up til I uninstalled it and the manager software and then reinstalled iTunes. Now its working fine.

Posted by JC on October 17, 2003 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

well, its running FINE by me. P4 1.6 / 256 old geforce2 mx 400 (64mb).

while its not perfect (buffer stinks, it gets crackly when i dialup to get online, and i cant resize properly, i have to resize, it takes half a second then the window moves to the right size) its the same i get in my ibook 467 / 128, so im not complaining

Posted by hudgie on October 17, 2003 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

and im running at 1280x1024, with other programs running all the time. my opinion: whoever reviewed it had a really screwed up computer

Posted by hudgie on October 17, 2003 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

Guess I’ll add my experience to the mix.

WONDERFUL!

Not a skip, not a crash, no speed issues, no lost music.  I can’t be happier.

P4 2GHz, 400Mhz bus, 256MB DDR2100, XP Home SP1

There seem to be some disconnects as far as a hardware trend is concerned (i.e. 500MHz working great, and 2.4GHz slow as a dog).  Will everyone from here out post their **OS** (including service packs) along with their hardware info?  It’d be interesting if this were a software issue, rather than hardware.  (Would DirectX version matter?  I’m on 9.1a I believe… just in case).

Again… I am so happy.  I’ve purchased a dozen or so songs, and I’m sharing my family’s 5 iTunes libraries (3 Macs, 2 PCs) via Rendezvous.  I’m so excited that this is a FULL-featured iTunes, and that I don’t have the problems others do.  wink

Posted by azdude_15gb on October 17, 2003 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

I have two P.C’s running itunes on Windows XP Home with service pack 1.

1. Athlon xp 2800+, 1024mb Ram, Radeon 9800 (128 ram).
—Run’s flawlessly with no apparent slow down when resizing or moving windows, Cpu load generally stays less around 4%

2. PIII 600, 128mb Ram, 8MB Matrox? graphics card.
—Slight slow down when resizing and moving windows, Cpu usage stays under 35% except when changing songs (60%).

By the way I’m running both P.C’s at 1280 x 1024.

Posted by David Jeffery on October 17, 2003 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

See, this is the problem with Windows - so MANY configurations!

You get ONE geek whose computer is screwed up and they blast Apple as making crap software - when it has NOTHING to do with Apple and EVERYTHING To do with THEIR machine.

I REALLY wish Apple had not released iTunes for the Windows world. I really don’t want to hear Windows losers who either CAN’T configure thier computers or OVER configure their computers to complain about an absolutley awesome program.

“Gee, on my Clereon 1.2 ghz, overclocked to blah, blah, blah,  and my CoolGraphicsCard overclocked to blah, blah, blah, and 20 things installed in my system tray, iTunes slows down on the screen redraw. Apple has made a crap peice of software!”

JUST SHUT IT!

Posted by Chris on October 17, 2003 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

the only thing crappy with it is it’s import feature.  If a song has no Track number, it’ll alphabetize the song list.

Posted by tetro on October 17, 2003 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

The program shouldn’t require these system specs to run smoothly. take a look back at the system specs. It runs like poo on my machine and i can run 3dsmax with no glitches with photoshop and illustrator open. somthing is definatly wrong with the software. If you have a badass machine and say OH HEY it runs great on my pc.. well no ####. The point is one shouldn’t have to have such a beefy system to RESIZE THE WINDOW. Maybe if they didn’t spend so much time trying to make iTunes look like it was a mac they could have made it a little more smooth.

Posted by travis on October 17, 2003 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

i’m running amd k6-3 300 mhz w/ 128mb ram and integrated video card. it’s….welll…. it’s barely tolerable wink i need a new computer

Posted by dre_dogg on October 17, 2003 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

I’d imagine anything would qualify as “barely tolerable” on a k6-3 300 wink

Especially since you’re obviously running 2000 or XP.

(Actually, XP surprised me when I was goofing around and put it on my PII-266… wasn’t as bad as I expected)

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on October 17, 2003 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

If I were looking at iTunes as a WinAmp or MusicMatch user, it would probably seem absolutely amazing. But although it’s a pretty nice app and reasonably powerful, I’m pretty sure I won’t switch over from Media Jukebox, which I’ve been using for the last couple of years, because iTunes’ playlist management is a lot less powerful than I’m used to.

MJ has had the “make a playlist out of query parameters” feature for years, but takes it further: you can define custom fields in the database and search on them (though to be fair, iTunes already includes the things I used those custom fields for.) More importantly, its notion of (non-dynamic) playlists is much more flexible—you can use a song’s presence on a static playlist as a query parameter for a smartlist. I’ve come to think of playlists as a way of attaching attributes to songs. It’s a much more flexible, nuanced way to represent things like genre, where multiple values can easily apply to a song.

How is that useful? Well, for example, I have a playlist of background music for dinner parties. If I’m serving Mexican food one night, I can whip up a quick smartlist that says, “Play all the songs on both the Dinner playlist and the Latin playlist.” Or better, if I decide I only want instrumental pieces, “Play all the songs on both the Dinner playlist and the Latin playlist, except ones on the Has Lyrics playlist.”

As far as I can tell, other than putting lists of keywords in the Comments field and doing string searches, there’s no way to do flexible user-data-driven queries like that in iTunes. You can add a song to a playlist, but the playlist is a data sink—you can’t leverage it for anything else. (If I’m wrong about that, please clue me in!)

MJ also has a robust plugin interface for audio codecs, rip/burn capability, a built-in sound editor if you want to make a mix CD with fancy effects, ReplayGain support (same as iTunes’ volume leveling), and supports downloading to a variety of portable MP3 players. The latest incarnation can also manage libraries of video files.

Other than the selection at the iTunes Store, I don’t see a single thing iTunes gives me that I haven’t already been enjoying for years with my existing software.

Posted by MJ on October 17, 2003 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >