OSNews: iTunes for Windows Speed Not Acceptable | iLounge News

OSNews: iTunes for Windows Speed Not Acceptable

“So far, so good. I found no glitches with the application or its stability. Except one thing: its UI speed. For the life of me, I am almost unable to resize the iTunes window (with visual effects OFF no less)! Its window UI is almost unresponsive. Menus and native-windows-looking alerts are responsive and fast, however the metal interface is just unusable here. I can’t easily resize the application, and with difficulty I can scroll the scrollbars in the store or the Library! After many attempts, I managed to get the window size down to about 640x480 and then the application did become more responsive and workable. But on a normal ~1024x1000 window, it is just unusable. There are times I can’t even move the whole window across the screen! Note: I am not talking about playback (which works fine with no performance issues), or when in mini-mode: I am talking about scrolling/resizing the app when the window is in normal mode and bigger than 800x600. Resizing the window when in “Music Store” is almost impossible here! Update: Upgrading to the latest graphics drivers didn’t help. “

« MacMice Releases DockCover

QuickTime Video of Apple Music Event Now Available »

Comments

Well, it’s out. Its the first release for Windows. A lot have b****ed and moaned for a long time for Apple to release iTunes quick, some almost in a disgutingly threatening manner.

...Now that it’s out, there are a lot of complaints, and it seems almost a waist of time for some. Hey…it’s out so why can’t anyone be happy? It’s a first release, and just like any good piece of software, there will be revisions. Chill out. Please.

Posted by ILoveMusic on October 17, 2003 at 6:10 PM (CDT)

works great for me. It does slow down when sound checking your library…if it’s a large library it will be slow for a while….other than that, it’s very responsive.

Posted by mGee on October 17, 2003 at 6:24 PM (CDT)

Hey Chris, your the reason why I hate mac users!  So f***ing arrogant!

OK if your in love with a $3,000 word processor.  Oh, but it looks so nice, does’nt it!

Be happy with your “moron proof”, but very good looking “investment”.  What’s it like to have just Quark Express and Adobe Photoshop to play with?  A tad boring I guess, but hey, it must suit your personality.

Moron!

People like you are why Apple’s going down the pan.  How do they ever manage to liaise with any of it’s customers, if their all like you?

Posted by Tony on October 17, 2003 at 6:58 PM (CDT)

when’s the next version coming out? where’s the on the fly queues,etc for the 2nd gen ipods? boo!

Posted by Bill Gates on October 17, 2003 at 10:07 PM (CDT)

It is slow, especially when moving the GUI around. In addition, id prefer it sync its library with a specific directory i chose which has all my music on it, instead of either searching my hdrives for all music, or me manually adding everything to the library.

I have a P4 2.53 ghz, 1024 megs of ram, GF4 Ti 4400

Posted by Austin in Atlanta, GA on October 17, 2003 at 10:19 PM (CDT)

Lovin Itunes—
Running on a gateway 1 ghz laptop without problems.Itunes is great, it’s simple to use but has a lot of features
I like Media Center 9 but this intergrates better with my ipod.

Posted by axissport on October 17, 2003 at 10:24 PM (CDT)

i have a sh*t-slow computer and itunes runs great on it

Posted by ti on October 18, 2003 at 4:49 AM (CDT)

fwiw, it works fine on my computer.  Resizing is slightly jumpy, but it doesn’t hinder my ability to resize.  Everything else is perfectly smooth.  The reviewer probably just has some issues with his rig.

WinXP Pro SP1 | Athlon XP 1800+ 333MHz FSB | 512MB | GeForce 2 GTS

Posted by Byron on October 18, 2003 at 10:13 AM (CDT)

seems responsive enough for me. 512 mb PIII-M (tualatin) 1.2 ghz, which can’t exactly be the fastest comp here considering it’s a couple years old

Posted by orange on October 18, 2003 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

No speed issues or stability problems on on a 1.6 Celeron laptop. May be a memory issue. Nothing works with any grace in XP when ram<256Mb. This is a MS problem.

Posted by shaitan on October 18, 2003 at 12:41 PM (CDT)

and you paid how much for iTunes? :) release 1 for Windows.. give them a break.. I’m sure there will be updates for it coming out…

as an iPod owner under Windows, there was no way in hell i was using MusicMatch. Now that iTunes is here, Ephpod, while the best out there for the platform, isn’t the all in one solution i wanted for my iPod :)

Posted by Rob on October 18, 2003 at 6:47 PM (CDT)

Ditto, once iTunes got installed this weekend, MMJB and Ephpod got deleted.  I’m satisfied with it.

Posted by Byron on October 19, 2003 at 1:32 PM (CDT)

It’s running great on my 1.5GHz MP4 500MB RAM - but the visualizer is not very smooth, you can really wait for the next frame :-) No comparison to my collegue running it on a G5 :-) But everything else is running smoothly - really a great piece of software. Thank you, Apple, for not letting us Windows users outside. Just bring iTMS to Europe soon :-)

Posted by Torben on October 20, 2003 at 12:57 AM (CDT)

Hey Tony -

Where did it say in my post that I was a Mac user? Yes, I happen to have a Mac, but I do 99% of my work on a PC and have no problem with that. I happen to like the pros on both operating systems. But I also know HOW to configure my PC so that it works!

I just can;t stand listening to geeked out Windows losers whine about a FREE program that works pretty damn well.

Posted by Chris on October 20, 2003 at 9:01 AM (CDT)

Tony-

On behalf of all Mac users:

Get a clue and grow up.

Posted by Jay on October 23, 2003 at 11:39 PM (CDT)

Since upgrading to the latest version of itunes and quicktime the sound quality suffers significantly with major crackling / distortion / echoing as soon as I open another application. If I pause the current track and then play it again it starts playing with perfect clarity.

I have tried playing the same tracks (imported via itunes at good quality) in Windows Media and I have not had such probelms.

Anyone got any ideas as I hate Windows Media player!!!

Posted by alec on November 1, 2005 at 6:25 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2