OtterBox announces oPod - water resistant case for iPod | iLounge News

OtterBox announces oPod - water resistant case for iPod

picOtterBox, makers of waterproof cases for PDAs has announced the oPod for 3rd generation iPods. The oPod case features an “interactive water resistant membrane,” access to the headphone port, buttons and touch wheel. There is no access to the “Hold” switch. We questioned OtterBox what could be accessed, and they replied with the following. “The case has full functionality to the keys [buttons and touch wheel] and the headphones can come out of the top of the case.  However, but as far as docking or access to the ‘HOLD’ switch, this case doesn’t have access to that through the case.  We do allow for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Generation [iPods] usage via different headphone inserts (and also the ability to use the remote) and foam spacers that accommodate the different iPod thicknesses.” OtterBox also noted that the case is “waterproof from the standpoint of rain, shower, etc, but we don’t recommend swimming or diving with it.” The oPod costs $49.95, comes in five colors, and pre-orders are now being accepted for an estimated ship date of June 15th. All pre-orders will be entered into a $20 iTunes Gift Certificate giveaway. OtterBox also plans on releasing an oPod for 1st and 2nd generation iPods.

« Vaja releases iVod mini case

MacSkinz releases iPodSkinz - faceplates for iPod »

Comments

Won’t the head phones shock you under water? I have never worn head phones underwater so I wouldn’t know.

Posted by WOLFMAN on May 13, 2004 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

They might shock you, but probably not.

However, it does say that they do not recommned using it for swimming.  Its just for use while walking in the rain or something similar.

Posted by Cameron on May 13, 2004 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

Lame product! It should allow me to take my tunes underwater! I wanna hear music while swimming laps!

Posted by stylescraper on May 13, 2004 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Try using a Lilipod with some waterproof headphones. I take mine swimming all the time and the Lilipod just floats behind me!!!

Posted by WaterBoyUK on May 13, 2004 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Argh!  So close to the perfect product, but it’s not quite there yet.  I need something water resistant that allows me to operate the front controls, but that has both a headphone jack and allows for power so I don’t have to run my iPod off of its internal battery.  (I’d mount the iPod and case on my motorcycle’s handlebars, and run the power lead to the bike’s accessory jack.)

Posted by sobiloff on May 13, 2004 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Do you have an underwater motorcycle?

Posted by Underwater Motorcycle? on May 13, 2004 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

I’m guessing incase of heavy rain.

Posted by Boaguy on May 13, 2004 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

Almost good but i need a case that will allow me to add songs from itunes as well as use my card reader all when swimming. It would also be nice if i could recharge the ipod from the mains supply as well all under water…...

Posted by Ian on May 13, 2004 at 3:25 PM (PDT)

I got something similar to this a couple yrs ago for a tape player that you put in a waterproof-case-something-thingie.  Let me tell you - it is WORK using that thing while youre swimming.  If you are a fast swimmer foget about flip turns - the earphones will fall out of your ears.  Push off the wall fast?  Say goodbye to your earphones.  As far as water exercise or water jogging, Im sure this would work better.  I never lost any weight swimming anyways and took my workouts to land, but just my opinion on the water workout ideas.

Posted by kelly on May 13, 2004 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

I have an otterbox that I take with me hiking.  It keeps my little GPS a map and a compass.  Never had water get in it or anything get banged up.

But I’m not a fan of this case.  Who wants just “water resistant?”  What a way to hide behind words…

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on May 13, 2004 at 5:14 PM (PDT)

The oPod is exactly what I have been waiting for! I take my iPod to the beach in a ziplock bag just to keep sand out.  Now I don’t have to worry about it. And now I can take it running in the rain. People, check out the website [url=http://www.otterbox.com]http://www.otterbox.com[/url] ...the manufacturer isn’t only about waterproofing, the oPod is drop proof, sand proof, and useable through the case!!!! By far the best protection I have ever seen for the iPod.

Posted by loganp on May 13, 2004 at 6:21 PM (PDT)

^^^^Sounds suspicious

Posted by Poo on May 15, 2004 at 1:10 AM (PDT)