Otterbox intros Defender Series case for iPad 2 | iLounge News

Otterbox intros Defender Series case for iPad 2

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, May 12, 2011
News Categories: iPad Accessories

image

Otterbox has introduced its new Defender Series case for the iPad 2. Joining a memory foam-lined inner polycarbonate shell with an exterior silicone skin, the Defender offers multi-layer protection, an integrated Dock Connector door, push-through or open access to all other ports, controls, and cameras, and an included clip-on touch screen cover with fold-out stand. Otterbox’s Defender Series case for the iPad 2 is listed as coming soon and will sell for $90.

« Quickoffice for iPhone adds PowerPoint support

Netflix for iOS adds subtitles »

Comments

Thanks for sharing the latest case.  I am always wondering why they price them so high.  A simple case that covers the back and edges for under $20.  They are quite effective.  I guess it is like luggage.  But I for one would never pay that must for a protective case.  FWIW.

Posted by madhatter61 on May 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

I’d buy that case in a heartbeat if it didn’t have that stupid gaping whole on the back where the Apple logo is. Why companies bother making a clear hole for it is beyond me utterly ruins the aesthetics of the case.

Posted by Johnathan on May 13, 2011 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

Agree with #2.  Every time I’ve wanted to pull the trigger on one of their cases, that stupid hole stops me.
I can’t believe they don’t lose at least 50% of their sales due to that.
Not just for protection, but it looks ridiculous.  I don’t need to show the bloody Apple Logo™

Posted by sb on May 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

I have a Defender case on my iPhone 4 and the hole really doesn’t bother me, but it DOES look a bit tacky when on such a large profile device like an iPad.

Posted by Michael on May 14, 2011 at 9:12 PM (PDT)

I just purchased the case. Wow… Otterbox failed with this one. By my understanding Defender case is all about protection. Original iPad case did just that. This case does not protect screen. In the first iPad Defender all of the unused glass of the screen was covered with plastic limiting area, that could get damaged. Protection in the making of this case was not the priority.
There many more problems with this case.
1) headphone jack flap is impossible to close.
2) screen cover/stand is not protecting screen when positioned in the front.
  With this release Defender was downgraded to Commuter Case level of protection( which is none).

Posted by Mike on May 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

I received my iPad 2 Defender Series case today and I must state that I am very disappointed at the quality and so called “ruggedness”.  I have an OtterBox for my iPad (1st Gen), iPhone 4, old iPhone 3GS and every one of my family members cell phones and have never had an issue with paying the price for their superior quality & protection, this time I feel ripped off.  From the flimsy ‘polycarbonate’ case, to the thin silicone cover this is at most an average product for a premium price.  Every port cover on this is flimsy, does not seat well and creates a vulnerable point in the event of a ‘mishap’, not to mention that the top and bottom of the polycarbonate case is so flimsy that it feels as though it will snap off if handled wrong.  Oh, and whats up with how fat this case is when the cover is on, it’s thicker than my iPad 1st Gen in its Defender Series case, kind of defeats one of the selling points of the product they are attempting to protect… Up to this point I have been a huge fan, supporter, and endorser of Otter Box and their products, this however, has really soured my opinion, especially given the wait for the release… What a let down!

Posted by Jason on May 18, 2011 at 6:24 AM (PDT)