OWC expert replaces iPod batteries blindfolded | iLounge News

OWC expert replaces iPod batteries blindfolded

imageAn Other World Computing manager showed off his battery upgrading skills at this year’s Macworld Conference and Expo by replacing iPod batteries while blindfolded on the show floor.

“Nobody could come close to topping the standing room only crowds generated by Jamie Dresser, Product Manager and New Product Development,” said OWC. “With his eyes completely covered with a seamless blackout blindfold, Dresser took iPods from audience members and went through the intricate technical process of opening the iPod casing without damage, removing the fading manufacture’s battery, installing a higher capacity NewerTech NuPower replacement battery, and sealing the casing to a like-new appearance in perfect working order.”

« MTV show appears on iTunes Music Store

iSkin launches ‘Touch’ video podcast »

Comments

wheres the link to a video?????

Posted by dhruv on January 25, 2006 at 2:30 PM (CST)

They don’t offer 5G replacement yet, but here’s a link to their video list.  Look under “iPod Battery Replacement” (currently top, left).

Posted by dantan98 on January 25, 2006 at 2:54 PM (CST)

Wow! They allow THIS at electronics shows but they are banning booth babes at E3.

I understand at the next Macworld they’ll have a poodle in a tutu jump over an Intel Tower while a monkey juggles 3 Mac Mini Home Theater Editons.

Posted by agentparas on January 25, 2006 at 2:54 PM (CST)

will this new battery be available to the public and will will be able to replace it ourselves? .....that would be genius!

Posted by leeroy on January 25, 2006 at 2:55 PM (CST)

Well, THAT will look impressive on his resume…

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on January 25, 2006 at 5:06 PM (CST)

I wonder if he gets many dates.

Posted by Todd on January 25, 2006 at 5:11 PM (CST)

I used to disassemble and reassemble my M-16 blind-folded, no big deal.

Posted by Obadiah on January 25, 2006 at 9:30 PM (CST)

I have a 1st Gen Ipod 5 gig that the battery would only last for 2 songs. I ordered a battery from this site and it came with easy to install instructions. I did it myself in 15 minutes and now with out using the back light i get 19 hours out of it. I have a mini, shuffle and new vidio 30 gig and I have to say my favorite is the good old fasioned 1st Gen.

Posted by BK1 on January 25, 2006 at 10:21 PM (CST)

I replaced a 1st gen and a 3rd gen iPod with Other World batteries, and I almost lost my fingers in the process! The batteries are great - but cracking the iPod case is a b****h. I think Other World uses iPods that have been taken apart so manyt times, that they almost fall apart in your hands..

Posted by snoogly on January 26, 2006 at 7:13 AM (CST)

Last week i ordered from them and replaced a 2g battery, veeery easy, and a mini battery, a lot harder, i bet he couldn’t do that blindfolded :) while i think it’s possible to do it on a standard ipod if you don’t mind breaking it and you have managed tons .

Posted by Matteo on January 26, 2006 at 1:46 PM (CST)

By the look of it he’s using a pink mini. IncredIBLE!

Posted by John M. on January 26, 2006 at 2:14 PM (CST)

I wonder if he gets many dates.

If his girl friends own an old iPod… I bet he does. ;)

Posted by mlopez on January 26, 2006 at 2:47 PM (CST)

I changed the battery in about 15 minutes. The video was a great help and gives you the confidence that you can do it.  The hardest part was getting the tool inserted to open my Ipod. I squeezed the Ipod like in the video but I needed my wife to get the tool inserted.  After that it was cake!

Posted by LM1964 in New Jersey on February 5, 2006 at 5:07 PM (CST)