Pacific Rim Technologies announces 4G Shield hard case | iLounge News

Pacific Rim Technologies announces 4G Shield hard case

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, August 18, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picPacific Rim Technologies has announced the 4G Shield hard case made of aircraft-grade aluminum. The 4G Shield features a swivel belt clip, and a clear, hard plastic screen protection and access to all iPod functions. The 4G Shield is priced at $34.99 and is expected to ship in early September 2004. Some of the comments below refer to the hole in the back of the case. This hole is used to push the iPod out from the case for removal.

pic

pic

« Update: 42% report 4G iPod audio problems

DLO announces iBoom boombox for iPod »

Comments

Nice, so many 4G cases announced today. This one looks promising. I wonder how the belt clip looks like…

Posted by ayn on August 18, 2004 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

ugh.

that looks like ####.  it looks like it could #### up your ipod.  the glass/plastic case ###### up my old 3G and there is no way in hell that thing is touching my 4g

Posted by Jeff3 on August 18, 2004 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Thgis looks ideal - I will buy it as soon as either iPodlounge or Apple breaks total silence on audio defect.  Has Apple gone into stealth mode hoping the problem will just go away—or are they working on a fix?

Anyway this looks like the hard case I want - Give me the “all clear” Ipodlunge and I will buy both a 40gb 4g and this case

Posted by Peter in UK in UK on August 18, 2004 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

still waiting for iSkin with holster

Posted by ajlucas on August 18, 2004 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

oh and go to the site, it has padding inside

Posted by ajlucas on August 18, 2004 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

It’s great that the 4G cases are finally being announced.  This looks interesting, but I’m definitely going to look for a review first.

Posted by EricH on August 18, 2004 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

ahh! what is with the hole in the back! how annoying will it be when there is a scratch ONLY INSIDE THAT LITTLE HOLE!

Posted by harrison on August 18, 2004 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

right, that hole sucks. i know how big my ipod is. Thanks, but no thanks.

Posted by grafty on August 18, 2004 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

I got the 3G version of that case and I wondered what that whole was for… The neoprene padding inside is so tight, your iPod is impossible to remove (wont accidently pop-out). The whole is to push the iPod out!!

Posted by Pixel Jockey on August 18, 2004 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

The hole is also to allow heat to leave the unit, so your iPod doesn’t overheat while it’s used inside the case.

Posted by CubLuke in London, UK on August 18, 2004 at 11:57 PM (PDT)

Looks awesome!

Posted by Obadiah on August 19, 2004 at 4:49 AM (PDT)

I don’t like that there is only one case that holds both the 20GB and 40GB. That means the case will be oversized for my think little 20GB. I’d like a metal case made specifically for the 20GB model so it is thinner.

Posted by Shadow on August 19, 2004 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

umm is this thing supposed to be heavy?  I have an Extremity case from ExtremeMac and I think i just jumped the gun on buying it, although it did come with some nice add-ons for pretty cheap compaired to some of these other cases that are coming out.

Posted by robbiesan in Arlingotn, VA on August 19, 2004 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

Dear iPodLoungers,

Thank you for your interest in the new 4gShield Case for 4th Generation iPods. We just wanted to answer some of your questions.

- The whole in the back is in fact to push out the unit. The neoprene lining gives it a very tight fit and it would be impossible to push out without the whole. The tight fit holds the unit tightly in place.

- The case is made of aircraft-grade aluminium and is VERY light.

- The case is lined with neoprene and it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to scratch it.

- The Belt clip is a standard cell-phone belt clip. We’ve just uploaded an image of the belt clip on our product page.

Happy iPodlounging,

Laurent
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Senior Marketing Manager

Posted by Laurent on August 19, 2004 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

Gee, handled by marketing… this is the 2nd thread I’ve read today, and it’s the 2nd one with a marketing guy quelling any negative sentiment contained within.

I was on another gadget forum for tablet PCs that was an awesome resource, until it was literally overrun by Microsoft MVPs aggressively “helping” people.

Personally, when I’m talking with friends or family regarding the traits of merchandise I or they may potentially purchase, the *last* thing I want is a sales rep butting in at every turn “correcting misconceptions” and offering generic answers and statements (e.g. directed at the group rather than individuals).

Product hawking and customer-management in this casual and friendly environment for *fan* chat is entirely inappropriate IMO, and ruins the “atmosphere” of the place.  If marketdroids are *really* concerned with users’ or potential customers’ complaints about their product (and aren’t just grandstanding in a popular forum to put a good public face on things), may I suggest “polite, specifically-addressed private e-mail” instead of “stone tablets from a mountaintop” as the recommended method and form of communication?

Have fun scratching up your iPod!

Posted by Iain Podd on August 20, 2004 at 4:57 AM (PDT)

yuk! one of the ugliest ipod cases i’ve seen, i’m ordering the vaja ivod as soon as its released.

Posted by pantalaimon on August 20, 2004 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

just ordered my 4g hardshiel w/ shipping and sales tax it came out to $50.73. I hope itz a good case

Posted by renegadezx91 in Orange Count, Cali on August 20, 2004 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

I actually like the case. I was thinking of getting one of the ipod Armor cases and drilling it out to look pretty much like this one does right now.

I can’t say i’m impressed with the hole though. I understand it’s for heat issues but if that is a problem perforate the back like a G5. That would solve the heat issues and give better protection.

Though I can see how getting it out would still be a problem.

The only other thing I am not wild about is the latch on the case. It looks like it could be snapped off or lose it’s tension over time and eventually make the lid not close tight.

Posted by jackskellington27 on August 23, 2004 at 2:57 PM (PDT)