Palm, Microsoft to unveil new mobile devices [updated] | iLounge News

Palm, Microsoft to unveil new mobile devices [updated]

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

Two potential iPhone rivals will be introduced weeks ahead of the device on Wednesday, according to reports. Palm said today that company founder Jeff Hawkins will announce “a new category of mobile device” at the Wall Street Journal’s D: All Things Digital Conference tomorrow. Meanwhile, Gizmodo is reporting that Microsoft will introduce a new device at midnight tonight. In an advance look at the announcement, the gadget blog quotes a Microsoft email as saying the product is “something totally new coming out of the [Microsoft] Entertainment and Devices division, and it’s going to change the way people interact with technology.” The email also stated that “you really have to see it to believe it.” Apple CEO Steve Jobs and Microsoft chairman Bill Gates will take part in a rare joint interview at the D conference on Wednesday. A Microsoft device announcement would seemingly be aimed at giving Gates a talking point to counter the iPhone discussion during the meeting.

imageUpdate: Microsoft’s announcement is a tabletop touch-sensitive technology dubbed Microsoft Surface. Reportedly five years in the making, the advanced software allows users to use their fingers to manipulate photos and files, much like the iPhone’s multi-touch interface. The computers will initially be targeted at businesses, hotels and other retail establishments.

imageUpdate #2: Palm’s new product is the Foleo, a new mobile device being marketed as a companion to the company’s Treo smartphone. The device sports a 10-inch display, full-size keyboard, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and a 5-hour battery life. The Palm Foleo will be available later this year for $500.

« Apple releases iTunes 7.2, with iTunes Plus DRM-free music

Apple recommends iPod owners not buy audiobooks »

Comments

See this link
and this one
Guess it’s finally coming tomorrow…

Posted by DJQubic on May 29, 2007 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

Hope the link works now…
otherwise it is ~jinl before the /2005

Posted by DJQubic on May 29, 2007 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

Well that didn’t work..
Look for peerstreamer and jin li you’ll get it

Posted by DJQubic on May 29, 2007 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

Hello dear friends of iPod. I have to say it is good that Microsoft now is better than before and is doing nice work with Palmer. I know because they told me that Palm is good company in the long run since theyr are fast. I am very happy! Thanks you for nice website with good design. Cool!

Greetings and regardings from
Simpo Brinkflake

iPod Collectors chief of Sweden

Posted by Simpo Brinkflake on May 29, 2007 at 5:23 PM (PDT)

I predict we will finally see a Palm-based UMPC.  I sure could’ve used one two years ago!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 29, 2007 at 6:54 PM (PDT)

Posted by tommy on May 29, 2007 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

Posted by tommy on May 29, 2007 at 9:18 PM (PDT)

Wow, I am really unimpressed!!!!!! We have seen this all before. Guess Billy boy has no real ammo against Apple for the big show down at “D”. This is nothing new, old news from Microsuck, just repackaged.

Posted by dozx on May 29, 2007 at 9:28 PM (PDT)

Yeah that is just what we need a 5k -10k coffee table. hmmmm…. This isn’t even a product. It is a concept video of technology we may or may not see from Microsoft.

Posted by dozx on May 29, 2007 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

Yet another vaporware product that is years away from being in anyones hands, just like longhorn. I’ll bet that when it does make it into products consumers can buy and use, it will be just as dumbed down as Vista is.

Posted by dozx on May 29, 2007 at 9:36 PM (PDT)

great…something else my daughter can spill her drink on. another dumb idea from MicroShaft

Posted by john_kc on May 29, 2007 at 10:25 PM (PDT)

It’s not a dumb idea at all! It’s a very cool idea actually. And the applications go beyond a table. The video I saw showed wall mounted applications too. Daughter or not, this will be the future of computing. Course by the time it is any of our homes, your daughter will have had daughters of her own! But still, it WILL happen. Only a matter of time.

Posted by Greg on May 29, 2007 at 11:01 PM (PDT)

I can’t believe you guys are putting this down.  I can imagine the possibilities when it actually does come to the market.  I wish I could have one now. I’m a photographer and it would be so cool to show my wedding client their proofs on the surface device.  They can sort through the the photos, enlarge the images to the size prints they’d like to order.  I’m sure their could be an option to convert to black and white to view before purchasing… the possiblities have not limit.
I’m not a microsoft fan but when I see a product that I think is good then I give it credit and this deserves credit.

Posted by 3rdEye on May 30, 2007 at 12:46 AM (PDT)

The only thing that surprises me about this is that Microsoft designed it. It is innovative and will grow out of its current niche market. This is a future interface for a wide range of products.

Posted by Japester on May 30, 2007 at 3:01 AM (PDT)

this actually looks pretty cool. the only thing i don’t get is the name…. surface? well yeah, it is flat i guess….?

Posted by Papa Hobo on May 30, 2007 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

Good attempt for MS to level the playing field a bit smile No the most original idea (think Starbuck cashier at your locate JavaJoint) but very cool idea as surface computing has been around for a long time… but I agree with all the bloggers that it is te future of computing… it will definitely keep Apple on its toes and hopefully they will work even harder smile

Posted by floridante2k on May 30, 2007 at 5:29 AM (PDT)

I would just like to say - looks fantastic in the right situation - AT HOME. The promo shows people paying for food and I bet you can order from the table at well. We have to be very careful about this type of techology that we DO NOT take out human interaction.

Posted by Simon on May 30, 2007 at 5:33 AM (PDT)

I’m with 3rdEye - I can’t believe you guys are putting this down… I don’t like Microsoft (as a general rule) but come on, this is awesome.

I was just thinking about how my work day involves staring at a 10X12 section (screen) on my desk, swapping applications, printing things up when referencing is too awkward… It would be awesome if my desk WAS my computer.  That would be enormous.  Way bigger than my iPod.

Posted by Peter T. on May 30, 2007 at 6:05 AM (PDT)

Yeah I could think of the possibilities:

1) Play ‘surface’ games while at comp meetings.
2) While on a date that’s not going well, chat with another. “hey, so what cha doing tonight”

No really this has potential to really take off (From Microsoft?).

Posted by Dave on May 30, 2007 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

Just think ~ If this was called iSurface and Steve Jobs just introduced it there would be hundreds of glowing comments and everyone would want it tomorrow.

So please try to separate the idea and product(?) from the manufacturer.  A little objectivity would be refreshing.

Posted by MS on May 30, 2007 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >