PDASmart offers 100GB iPod upgrade | iLounge News

PDASmart offers 100GB iPod upgrade

image

PDASmart has announced the availability of a 100 gigabyte hard drive upgrade for fifth-generation iPods. The PDASmart 100GB iPod upgrade installs without modification in any 60GB or 80GB 5G (video) iPod. For 30GB 5G iPods, a new rear casing is required to allow for the slightly larger drive size. The upgrade is said to extend storage capacity to 25,000 songs or 125 hours of video. The 100GB upgrade for 60GB and 80GB iPods is priced at $275 for a do-it-yourself kit, which includes the Toshiba drive and tools necessary for the installation. A mail-in installation service is available for $10 extra. The upgrade for 30GB iPods is only available as a mail-in service for $300.

« iResQ offers Apple TV hard drive upgrades

Hyatt hotels get iHome systems, digital music downloads »

Comments

ya! $300 for an extra 20GB and a voided warranty!

Posted by thewho61 on March 26, 2007 at 5:30 PM (CDT)

pretty dumb!  why not buy another video ipod and have 160Gb between the two.

Posted by Jesse on March 26, 2007 at 6:00 PM (CDT)

You might as well buy another iPod.

Posted by N e s s on March 26, 2007 at 6:12 PM (CDT)

yeah, exactly, thats what i want… more storage on TWO SEPARATE DEVICES… think before you post. although it is to expensive in my view (i wonder what an 80 gig ipod drive would go for on ebay…) i am clearly tempted to do it, because i need more storage on my SINGLE ipod.

buy another… and then write on the back to remember what you put on it? (and dont start with buy a black/white one…)

Posted by fischziege on March 26, 2007 at 6:23 PM (CDT)

is the new back they put on it an apple one the size of the 80GB plate? or is it some dumb one they make?

Posted by hi on March 26, 2007 at 6:32 PM (CDT)

What about those of us with a bricked ipod? I have a 60gb 5G that is dead and out of warranty. So $285 for a 100gb ipod instead of $349 for an 80gb ipod sounds like a good deal to me. At least to hold me over until the 6g ipod comes out.

Posted by mknite on March 26, 2007 at 6:36 PM (CDT)

Hey guys. I think it’s safe to say that the New 6th generation iPod will have 100GB or more. Look at it like this: these second rate businesses just help Apple to improve the iPod!

Posted by Rodney A. Coleman on March 26, 2007 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

Full size iPod

Recommendation:  Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle
Last Release   September 12, 2006
Days Since Update   195 (Avg = 223)

Posted by dZign on March 26, 2007 at 6:56 PM (CDT)

The problem for 80GB owners is it’s only 20GB for $275 bucks…not really worth it.  Plus you lose the ability to use any cases currently on the market.

Pass.  Good idea for some, maybe, but I can wait for a larger model from Apple.

Posted by malren on March 26, 2007 at 6:57 PM (CDT)

Actually for 80GB owners it doesn’t change the size of the iPod at all, so cases are still intact. Only the 30GB one will end up bigger. It would be intersting if the new casing simply makes it as big as a 60/80. Cases would still be available.

As one person said this makes the most sense for someone not interested in upgrading to a new iPod, who has a broken, out of warranty 5G iPod.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on March 26, 2007 at 7:03 PM (CDT)

This is a proud moment for me.  I’ve been writing in these forums for a while now and this may be the first time I’ve agree with everything written!!  What a damn waste!  The only way this would be worth the price is if it were a terra byte or if Apple was going to discontinue iPods.  At the end of the day, you’d be better off with two 80 gig models anyway as NESS and others suggested…can’t wait for the next gen!

Posted by andrew chasnoff on March 26, 2007 at 8:19 PM (CDT)

If you need more memory that badly, buying another iPod would be the most logical soloution. This is so expensive that I’m going to say that anyone willing to pay this much for an upgrade needs to think back to the history of the iPod… if you have an 80GB, 10 more gigs isn’t that much. There will be a 100+GB iPod in the near future. Guaranteed.

Anyone who is going for this should cool off the wallet and be patient for another year or two. This product will only work if it’s cheap. End of story.

Posted by Papa Hobo on March 26, 2007 at 8:26 PM (CDT)

I can’t believe the prices these aftermarket retailers sell ipod parts for. If you built an entire ipod off what these people charge it would cost you $600.

For $200 max I would swing it as an upgrade to my 30gig. That would be worth it. I figure my beat up 30gig is only worth about $150 on ebay anyway. So to sell it and rebuy a new 80gig would cost me $200 as is. This way I’d get a bonus 20gig. And isn’t the point of upgrading to save a little money over buying new?
But for $300 forget it.

Posted by roxics on March 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM (CDT)

I wonder what the exact capacity of the100GB hard drive is after formatting? On my 60GB iPod it is 55.7GB.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on March 26, 2007 at 10:04 PM (CDT)

There is no guarantee that Apple will continue increasing the size of the iPod hard drives, even though they have in the past. In fact, many recent rumors have been pointing to a full switch to flash-based players (which would mean less capacity, not more).

How big is the market for 100 GB players? There is certainly a vocal minority of people who would love to see a 250 GB iPod, but Apple is dealing in volume. An 80 GB iPod surely meets the capacity needs of 95% of the market.

Notice that the Zune doesn’t even have a high-capacity model. Microsoft (and some other manufacturers) feel that 30 GB is enough for a consumer device. Even the Apple TV only has a 40 GB hard drive.

I’m not saying that this particular product/service is a good idea or a bad idea. (Like most things in the iPod economy, it’ll be a good fit for some people, but not all.) I’m just saying that there is no guarantee that the next generation iPod will include a model with more than 80 GB.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on March 26, 2007 at 10:58 PM (CDT)

This is only interesting if your own harddrive fails and you’re out of warrenty.

Posted by Ericc B on March 27, 2007 at 3:47 AM (CDT)

@Ericc B: Just like that. It’s too expensive otherwise, unless you are… very devoted.

Posted by Bad Beaver on March 27, 2007 at 5:14 AM (CDT)

I think an company like Apple would surely want to fill the needs of the last 5%. That’s pretty much what they’ve been doing from the start, is it not?

Posted by Papa Hobo on March 27, 2007 at 7:30 AM (CDT)

This makes perfect sense for someone like me.  Here’s why: I own a 60 GB iPod with about 6 GB of open space.  I have no particular interest in video, and frankly, I’m not convinced that Apple is (a) dedicated to continuing to produce a higher-capacity iPod, or (b) that even if they are, that they’ll be rolling one out anytime soon.  So what are my options, given that I’m likely to run out of storage space before the end of the calendar year?  I can (1) buy an 80 GB iPod, which buys me a little more storage space; (2) wait for the next generation iPod, and hope that they don’t take too long with it and that it doesn’t have too many bugs; (3) buy a 100 GB upgrade, which is cheaper than (1) and nearly doubles my storage capacity, which should hold me over until Apple works the bugs out of any future iPod releases (assuming that they’re coming at all).

Posted by Scott Martin on March 27, 2007 at 11:10 AM (CDT)

Excuse me fischziege, it was a figurative comment. Also, in a days outing, who really needs to carry over 100GB of music, video, etc.? Except for the small margin of consumers that do. And there’s a good bunch that wouldn’t mind having 2 iPods. Having a black and white iPod to tell the difference is a legitimate point you couldn’t argue. Everything you said was based on your personal preference. Think before you post.

Posted by N e s s on March 27, 2007 at 4:21 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >