PDO intros CarFM transmitter + charger for iPod, iPhone | iLounge News

PDO intros CarFM transmitter + charger for iPod, iPhone

image

PDO has introduced its new CarFM combination car mount, FM transmitter, and charger for the iPod and iPhone. CarFM features an adjustable iPod and iPhone mount attached to a flexible gooseneck extension that plugs into the vehicle’s cigarette lighter to provide power to the transmitter and attached device. It also features the ability to tune in any FM frequency between 88.1 and 107.9 MHz, four “Quick Select” FM frequencies of 88.1, 94.1, 100.1, and 106.1 MHz, adjustable arms to hold the iPod or iPhone even when in a case, the ability to function as a hands-free device for the iPhone via a 3.5mm audio cable, a USB port for charging a second USB device, and silicone padding on the mount for a secure grip. It is compatible with fourth- and fifth-generation iPods, all iPod nano models, the iPod classic, iPod touch, iPhone, and iPhone 3G, and will be available later this month for $50.

« Sega, Electronic Arts talk iPhone gaming

Macally rolls out slew of iPhone 3G cases »

Comments

Aux port version please!

Posted by Jason on July 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM (CDT)

Can you use the iphone headphone jack as an aux port?

Also I’m very interested to see how the ilounge reviews of this thing turn out.  I was going to get a Belkin Tunebase for my iPhone but I don’t think it supports iPhones with a case.  Didn’t want to have to take my iPhone out of a case every time I got into my car.  Hopefully the transmitter will be decent and the CarFM will have no other large pitfalls.

Posted by John on July 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM (CDT)

yeah you can use the iphone headphone jack for aux, but why not just combine a female aux port into the proprietary connection cable at the bottom so you don’t have an aux stereo plug cable coming out of the top of your iphone when you have it on a windshield mount etc…

that way one cable comes out the bottom that you can plug an aux jack into and charge the phone with as well.  why is it so difficult to make something so useful?  who wants, or uses, fm transmission anymore?

Posted by Dan on July 17, 2008 at 3:22 AM (CDT)

I have already ordered one as £22 seemed a good enough price and if it wasn’t great then it wasn’t a great loss. I really like the iO Play - http://www.my-io.com/Products/iOPLAY.aspx,
but that is around £200 with installation so I went for this for the time being.

Posted by Michael Curtis on July 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM (CDT)

I have been having an email conversation with them about the lack of a version with an AUX port, and so far it seems they just don’t get it.  They said they have “no plans” to make a version of this thing with an aux port instead of the FM transmitter.

Boo!

Posted by Jason on July 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

I purchased this same product from a manufacturer named Cellex.  The hands free ability is crap!  I can’t even here it over the noise of my car and a/c, so you better be parked with the car off if you intend to use it as a hands free device.  Also, there’s a very audible *beep* that plays about every 30 seconds while you’re listening to music.  about the only positive thing i can say for this device is that there’s virtually no noise interference when i use it.

Posted by Charly on July 17, 2008 at 2:17 PM (CDT)

From what I understand the original iPhone and the new iPhone 3G have different docking standards.  Will this work on both?  If not, which one?

Posted by Jason on July 17, 2008 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

this looks friggin sweet. I just bought one.

Posted by Hemant on July 17, 2008 at 4:06 PM (CDT)

I follow these kind of docking station now for a while and I’m deeply disapointed. It looks like to me that not one single manufacturer is actl. thinking about simple functionality & integrity in a vehicle.

A simple stand or mount where you can open and sit in the vehicle, slide your IPhone/IPod in the mount and that’s it.

Let say it simple. SIT > SLIDE DEVICE > SWIRL HORIZENTAL OR VERTICAL > NO OPEN WIRE.

The dock connector is easy to modify and a very simple AUX/Power wireing system is not hard to figure out because they are out there but who is smart enough to put 1 + 1 TOGETHER?

To be honest since no manufacturer is actl. looking out of the simple functionality, I do look around and design my own one.
I can tell you that one day one of these manufacturer will wake up and have a brilliant idea ;) .. the one i just told you and then they will design it, it will sell if wireless music playback hasn’t been integrated, and they will sell it for $400.

A Shame! A Disapointment! that noone has the brain.

Posted by dennis on July 17, 2008 at 10:02 PM (CDT)

I agree with dennis.

A simple (size adjustable) mount that fits 90%-100% of ipods and all versions of the iphone/touch.  The mount should also fit all sorts of cases.  Mount should have fm transmitter, aux output, hands free calling, charging, swivel and rotate on a bendable neck, and an extra usb plug to insert an extra device into.  And do all of the above well.

It looks like the only thing this one is missing is aux out and you still need one wire for hands free.

Posted by john on July 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM (CDT)

most mounts are like this…

1st. > place ur iphone/ipod

2nd. > connect PWR cable

3rd. > connect audio/tape/aux cable

you have always 2 calbes laying around and that is so easly to hide. Just itegrreat power and audio transfer in the mount itself. All the user has to do is place his device in the mount and thats it.

The power and audio transfer can be easly managed through the connector, a Power support can be managed with an adapter behind the glove compartment, and the audio can be run to the AUX input which is in most vehicles either in the glove or middle compartment or at a stereos headunits aux input in the front or the back RC Jacks.

As a plus give him the choice to rotate the mount so that we can flip through the audio albums.

And what do I see? I see many mounts, one bigger and bulkier then the other and all having the same wire issue. .... amazing how manufacturers of these mounts design. Sometimes i wounder if any of them actl OWN a IPOD/TOUCH/ or IPHONE at all, and if they are just old farts who don’t think modern.

lol,.. forgive me my friends if i disrespected anyone but from start of the iPhone until now I have seen not much use of their brains. ....

Posted by dennis on July 18, 2008 at 10:04 PM (CDT)

Is this product Made for iPod approved?  I have seen similar products on the market for years for $10.00 and they are conterfeit.

Posted by Paul on July 21, 2008 at 12:35 PM (CDT)

the problem is that mainstream america doesnt demand perfect sound quality/functionality/style from their cars… as a ipod lover, i’d pay $250 parts/install if someone could give me an integrated service where you could charge and use your ipod/iphone through the auxillary…. the most important things to me are style(hiding the wires, and something comparable to the style of the ipod. and functionality… i dont want an fm transmitter, i deserve more respect than that… if it must have an fm transmitter, put a switch on it to permanently turn it off… i agree with a previous poster, one day, a company is going to dominate the “ipod/car integration” market, and charge a premium…  the sad thing is that all the true ipod/music lovers are going to have to wait for that day, when we’ve been ready for 3-4 years now..

Posted by maroon_tiger on July 26, 2008 at 12:11 PM (CDT)

as a matter of fact, since new cars usually have monitors in the dashboard, if someone could implement a system that could include an ipod-dock connector {in a type of console that would hide/protect the ipod}, that could be a great idea, once you connect the ipod, you should be able to see the ipod screen on the dashboard’s monitor, then be able to touch the screen/buttons to choose a song/playlist… thats asking waaaay too much right now…

Posted by maroon_tiger on July 26, 2008 at 12:22 PM (CDT)

The patent monster strikes again. I ordered one of these a while back, but noticed it was removed from their website a few days ago. Apparently, they had them in the warehouse ready to ship, when Belkin claimed they violated one of their patents. Now who knows if/when these things will ship.

Posted by Dale Reeck on July 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM (CDT)

I got an email today to say mine had shipped.

Posted by Michel Curtis on August 3, 2008 at 12:53 AM (CDT)

for the pdo fm transmitter, handsfree , charger all in one that connects to the cigarette lighter whats the little rubber piece at the bottom which goes into ur cigarette lighter called?

Posted by Jason on April 29, 2009 at 1:27 AM (CDT)