Peachpit announces ‘The iPod Playlist Book’ | iLounge News

Peachpit announces ‘The iPod Playlist Book’

Peachpit Press has announced the release of “The iPod Playlist Book.” The $14.99 book offers playlists for “nearly every mood and occasion,” according to the publisher. “Many consumers find it overwhelming having to sort through a massive collection of music to find the right tunes to make a perfect playlist. The iPod Playlist Book makes it simple by featuring more than 150 playlists organized by genre (punk, blues, roots, and more) and activity (road trips, cocktail parties, weddings, luaus, etc.). Each page includes a playlist and interesting tidbits about that list. Some examples of playlists include: Road Trippin’, Not Your Typical Wedding Songs, Cryin’ in Your Beer: Songs for Soaking in Cheap Suds and Salty Tears, The Building Blocks of Punk.”

« Windows: iSounder 1.6 released

Vaja unveils special edition Rasta case »

Comments

> Many consumers find it overwhelming having to sort through a massive collection of music to find the right tunes to make a perfect playlist.

Isn’t this the _fun_ thing about making playlists? Sorting through vast amounts of music to make that perfect mix.

Also, surely people aren’t necessarily going to have the same songs on their iPods. It’s a nice idea in principle, but Id trust my own music tastes (and my 1400 stong CD collection) over someone elses.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on December 6, 2004 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

The problem I have with this book is to me the iPod is about self-expression. Why would I want certain songs in my playlists with artists or songs that I do not enjoy. Kinda defeats the purpose. Also, would I really want to spend the time and money to track down those songs. Noble effort to sell more “iPod books” but this one aint gonna get my support

Posted by LupinIII in Illinois on December 6, 2004 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

It’s probably aimed at those with no personality. It wouldn’t be SO bad if all the songs were available on iTunes—but as stated above, I’d trust my own tastes in music.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco in Burbank on December 6, 2004 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

I wish I had thought of this….... playlists for $$$.  So many ways to make money of the iPod craze, yet I missed out on another one (who would have thought of socks….... here, I’ll give you a freebie….. iPod Ties… yes, a tie for your iPod when it isn’t wearing a sock).

Posted by miketex on December 6, 2004 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

that being said, in defence of the book, it probably _is_ a good way of younger iPod adopters to hear about some music they may not have had the opportunity to hear before.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on December 6, 2004 at 3:04 PM (PDT)

This is the stupidest idea I’ve ever heard of. Maybe if it came with a CD that had 30 second clips of the songs in the book it wouldn’t be as bad but spend an hour or two with the playlists at the iTunes Music Store (for free) and you’ll no longer have a need (or desire) for this book.

Or better yet, send me the mood you want to be in and a check for $5 and I’ll email you a list of the perfect 10 songs.

You know who’ll buy this book? Friends and families of people who have iPods who don’t have a clue what to get them. (Get them a gift certificate to the iTMS instead.)

Posted by Craig P. in San Diego, CA on December 6, 2004 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

Brian: You are all individuals!
The Crowd: We are all individuals!
Brian: You have to be different!
The Crowd: Yes, we are all different!

Posted by Demosthenes on December 6, 2004 at 4:44 PM (PDT)

If you want playlists pushed upon you why don’t you just listen to Corporate Radio.  I thought the point of the iPod was to have music your way…. the music you like… not the push of mainstream crap that we recieve every day over the airwaves.  This book is ideal for people with no cognative reason or decision making skills. I do agree wtih MikeTex though… wish I would have thought of it.

Posted by jkcoon on December 7, 2004 at 7:38 AM (PDT)