Pepsi ads to feature teens sued by RIAA | iLounge News

Pepsi ads to feature teens sued by RIAA

“A new sort of Pepsi Generation will get air time on the Super Bowl: music downloaders.

Some 20 teens sued by the Recording Industry Association of America, which accuses them of unauthorized downloads, will appear in a Pepsi-Cola ad that kicks off a two-month offer of up to 100 million free—and legal—downloads from Apple’s iTunes, the leading online music seller. The sassy ad, to be seen by Super Bowl’s 88 million viewers on Feb 1, is a wink at the download hot button. Pepsi hopes the promotion will connect its flagship cola, as well as Sierra Mist and Diet Pepsi, with teens who’ve shown more affinity for bottled water, energy drinks and the Internet.”

« An idea for iPod - user removable battery

O’Reilly: Five things the next iPod software version needs to have »

Comments

As a Canadian, I still can’t purchase anythign from ITunes. Also as a Canadian, I still can’t be sued for sownloading music (although I can be sued for uploading).

What solution do you think I and most people will take?

Tom

Posted by Thomas Davie on January 23, 2004 at 3:53 AM (PDT)

Thanks for the inside info.  I have really been wanting to know what the ad would be like.  BTW, do you still need a writer for ipodlounge?

Posted by Adam Jackson on January 23, 2004 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

And Canada is also much more of a hockey nation, with no participation in the NFL.  Guess what buddy, it’s not aimed at you.  Sit down.

Posted by duke on January 23, 2004 at 4:29 AM (PDT)

What a stupid statment.  I forget that as a Canadian I am only allowed to watch hockey.  What is the NFL?  I have never heard of football.  Oh wait I have isn’t that the game with the black and white checkered ball?

Mike

Posted by mike on January 23, 2004 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

Posted by duke on January 23, 2004 at 6:32 AM (PDT)

be nice to the canadian, eh.

Posted by gustafks in Minneapolis on January 23, 2004 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

I think the point is continuously missed, even by the media (unless they are purposely word bending to scare more people). People aren’t being chased for downloading tunes. People are being chased for downloading hundred and thousands of tunes and keeping their computer running 24/7 with a cable or DSL connex with kazaa on basically acting like a server for people to get the music constantly. These people aren’t average downloaders just getting a track or two to sample an artist. Some of them even buy machines just to serve the files. I thought that clarification was necessary.

Posted by RegalBegal in New England on January 23, 2004 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

Excellent point RegalBegal.

Posted by duke on January 23, 2004 at 6:44 AM (PDT)

This whole Pepsi/Apple ad is about advertising and catching people’s attention….of course. Point taken. At least I don’t have to buy a Pepsi/whatever in order to legally download music.

On the Macrumors site, it refers to one of the sued teens who appeared in the commercial. Apparently, she downloaded 950 songs over a 3 year period. True or not, I find that number laughable. Try about 1000 a week on a home broadband connection.

Tom

Posted by Thomas Davie on January 23, 2004 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

I agree, I can dowload in 4 hours, about 200 songs on my school’s T1 line.  I have airport on my ibook G4, then unload the songs to my 120gb drive when I get home.  So i understand what you are saying there.  But maybe she was an occasional downloader.

Posted by anon on January 23, 2004 at 7:32 AM (PDT)

Well at least these teens will have some fundage from the commercials for covering the legal fees.

Posted by ikelleigh on January 23, 2004 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

sell-outs.

Posted by dave on January 23, 2004 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Canada music - I thought you were all about ‘cultural preservation’? The Canadian gov’t can’t have it both ways - either open or closed. You preach about alleged cultural imperalism in satellite signals and in movies/TV from the US ... but then you want it to be ‘open’ when you want it to be - which is it?

It’s your governments fault - not Apple’s.

Posted by jbelkin on January 23, 2004 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

Anyway, this seems kinda messed up to me. If I were getting sued by the RIAA, the last thing I would do is give them the pleasure of seeing me in some Pepsi commercial promoting iTunes. Ethically, illegal downloading is wrong. If I own the copyright for the contents of a CD, which entitles me to get paid for it for said contents, and you are enjoying the content without paying me, then that is wrong. So I am not out to defend anyone. But I do feel the RIAA’s tactics are outrageous, and the last thing I would want to do is justify it by appearing in this commercial. I realize that this is Apple’s and Pepsi’s commercial, and not the RIAA’s, but in my eyes it’s still doing them the favor, at the cost of a participant’s dignity.

Posted by monkedsel on January 23, 2004 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

we wouldn’t want them kids drinkin’ boring bottled water when they could be drinking it with sugar and caffeine…

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 23, 2004 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

no ####.  we gotta give those dentists something to do.

I hope this promo has cool hip-hop in the background and guys eating burgers on the basketball court. Then it would really get me, the youth of america, to buy said product.

Posted by dave on January 23, 2004 at 5:49 PM (PDT)

Take it easy on the Canadian. At least they are smart enough to keep religion out of government, hell, the whole country mostly—and elect progressive politicians, not corporate shills. That’s why they have universal health care, a free press, etc. Sigh.

Posted by Cheney on January 24, 2004 at 5:25 AM (PDT)

“Don’t be a #####.  The overwhelming majority of football fans are in the United States.  Further, a much smaller percentage of Canadians watch football.  Marketing has always been about playing the numbers.  Canadians are not any of Pepsi’s concern when it comes to this commercial during the Superbowl.  Smarten up.  Your sarcastic comment is neither insightful or well done.

By duke on Jan 23, 04 7:32 am”

The superbowl is watched by over 800 million people world wide in 220 countries.  If you think that Pepsi doesn’t think about that and only cares about its exposure in the USA then you have to be the dumbest person I have met on the iPodlounge so far.

Mike

Posted by Mike on January 24, 2004 at 4:43 PM (PDT)