Phase iPod game now available on iTunes | iLounge News

Phase iPod game now available on iTunes

image

Phase, the interactive iPod music game, is now available from the iTunes Store. Developed by Harmonix, makers of popular console-based rhythm games, Phase creates levels based on songs users add to a special iTunes playlist called Phase Music. Once a song is selected, users tap the Click Wheel’s left, center, and right buttons to match corresponding “discs” in the game, and are also asked to slide their finger on the Click Wheel to match “flowing sweeps” of dots that appear in between the discs. MTV Network’s Phase is available now for fifth-generation iPod, iPod classic, and iPod nano (with video), and sells for $5. For more information on Phase, check out our First Look article.

« VAF debuts Octavio 1i iPod speaker system

DLO rolls out Jam Jackets for new iPods »

Comments

Without me even playing it and based only on the pictures my first impression was that it was Guitar Hero but with only 3 frets instead of 5. Does the disk or orbs pass in rhythm to the song? If it is keeping in beat with the music then I can see the interest. If it is passing on a whim or doing a bad impression of guessing the beat then maybe it might be good.
Another thought. If this is using some kind of beat recognition, then maybe we might be seeing visuals screensavers or the sort in the future.

It’s nice to be the first post :)

Posted by djJASMAN in California on November 6, 2007 at 12:32 PM (CST)

I’m assuming there is beat recognition since it requires iTunes to use a special playlist that it must analyze.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on November 6, 2007 at 1:21 PM (CST)

Anybody who pays money for iPod games after Apple screwed over the Gen 5.0 and 5.5 owners who want to upgrade to the Classic or Gen 3 nano ought to have their head examined.

Posted by Eagle57 on November 6, 2007 at 4:44 PM (CST)

To Eagle57
I am a Gen 5.0 owner and yes with the restrictions that the iPod classic has I am forced to stick with my Gen 5.0 for who knows when. I have too many accessories that, because of the apple chip recognition software, will not work with the iPod classic (exp XtremeMac Roadshow, iHome, iHome Boombox, etc.). So for now I am making due with Gen 5.0. Which might including getting this game since it seems that the Gen 5.0 is the way to go if you like games on your iPod. THe way things are now Gen 5.0 might be the one I stick with for a couple of years.

Posted by djJASMAN in California on November 6, 2007 at 5:49 PM (CST)

I’ll be keeping my 5.0 till it dies (knock on wood). I still haven’t filled the 30GB and I love the look - it’s the perfect classic white iPod appearance. I don’t really like these new aluminum models.

Plus I can still play all the iPod games I’ve downloaded!

Posted by Multimoog on November 6, 2007 at 7:31 PM (CST)

I love the new phase game, the graphics are amazing for such a small screen, the beats are right on. I love this game so much.

Posted by someonefromwashington on November 7, 2007 at 1:25 AM (CST)

I just downloaded the game and tried it out. Its great. Like compared it before, if you have played Guitar Hero its the same idea but instead of 5 frets you have 3 and a wiggly thing. What is fun is you never know how difficult the game is until you use your music. Some of the music was easy to do, those with constant steady beats, but choose music with a jazz flair or with a solo metal riff and it gets pretty darn hard. 4 out of 5 stars for me only because I wish the graphics were a bit more intense.

Posted by djJASMAN in California on November 7, 2007 at 2:09 PM (CST)

why the hell cant i buy this game in sweden???

Posted by dammskog on November 12, 2007 at 5:20 AM (CST)

can anyone help me i cant buy phase from itunes!!! can some plz help me!!!! and yes do live in Canada.

Posted by Jason on December 5, 2008 at 11:03 PM (CST)

Why isn’t phase available in the Philippines???

Posted by Jeremy on December 23, 2008 at 4:18 AM (CST)