Philips intros portable iPod/DVD video players | iLounge News

Philips intros portable iPod/DVD video players

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, January 8, 2007
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Philips has introduced two new portable iPod video devices as part of its expanded DCP line. Both portable Philips players feature flush-mounting iPod cradles, a DVD/CD player, and a built-in rechargeable battery. The DCP750 ($149) features a 7-inch widescreen, while the DCP850 ($199) boasts an 8.5-inch widescreen. They both offer Dolby Digital sound, car adapters and wireless remotes, and accept SD/MMC memory cards, which can be used to display digital photos or play DivX movies. Both models can also play video on DVD±R and DVD±RW formats, (S)VCD and MPEG4. The Philips DCP iPod devices are expected in the first quarter of 2007.

« Analyst: Apple keynote to focus on home entertainment

Maxell touts hybrid iPod clocks with flash readers »

Comments

Just more proof that the iPod is the new CD. People will buy iPods in the same way that they buy burnable CDs today… to store media and then play it back on the device of their choice.

Posted by Ted Wood on January 8, 2007 at 11:34 AM (PDT)

Finally! A company with enough common sense to make an iPod Video player WITH a CD/DVD player, not instead of it! And at an extremely decent price, no extra iPodness fee. Memorex iFlip, eat your iHeart out.

Posted by vohpoh on January 8, 2007 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

SAHWEET!!!! That’s exactly the price point I’ve been waiting for.

Time for everyone else to step up.

Posted by iScott on January 8, 2007 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

I am TOTALLY buying the 8.5” model as soon as it is available.

Posted by stark23x on January 8, 2007 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

This sounds like something I might actually purchase.  I download a lot of videos for my iPod and it’s a hassle connecting it to my TV.

Posted by Bungaloo Bill in The O.C. on January 8, 2007 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

2.5 hour battery life!?!
What’s up with that?

Posted by simbalov on January 8, 2007 at 3:45 PM (PDT)

damn just bought a sonic impact v55 well anyway im still happy with it but lets see what this can do

Posted by superbientotal on January 8, 2007 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

Are these available for purchase yet?  Do they have good sound? I have the iflip and am looking for something better. Please respond.

Dan

Posted by dan velliquette on January 28, 2007 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

they are availble for sale at BestBuy.

Posted by J-C Landau on February 9, 2007 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

Seems this one doesnot do progressive scan output. It seems picture quality on external TV wont be that great.

Posted by mj on February 11, 2007 at 6:48 PM (PDT)

As soon as I find it, I’m trying it out! I hope this one works.  I had TWO Memorex iFlips. I returned the first after two weeks because the dock kept popping open.  Then I returned the second after 4 weeks for the same reason.

Posted by MR on March 10, 2007 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

Philips DCP850 is getting terrible reviews at Amazon.com.  You had better check out what people are writing about it before buying.

It seems to be a nice concept that’s poorly implemented.  Maybe they’ll get it right next time.

Posted by MacHound on April 6, 2007 at 7:21 PM (PDT)